Photo Viewer/Sorter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello!

I am looking for recommendations on programs folks use to view/compare/sort photos. Adobe Bridge has been terrible, I am trialing Photo Mechanic, and like most of the program, but I really don't like the extra files it creates of each of my photos. I am also trialing Apollo One, but deleting photos takes an eternity, and it is very, very slow and glitchy with my external hard drive. I am using a Mac

I would be willing to pay for a program that works for me, but would want to try it before I buy. I want to be able to quckly view and rank photos, then sort by that ranking, with smooth ability to both move selected files to my external hard drive, and delete the photos I don't want to keep.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Fast Raw Viewer has two features that give it another edge. You can view sharpness with overlay and boost shadows and highlights to see what those look like. I find these very helpful when comparing images that are close to each other.
You can also modify a lot of shortcuts to make it behave as you wish. For example, set it to behave like Lightroom’s rating system.

What is the issue you (OP) mentioned with the photo mechanic creating extra files? Are you talking sidebar .xmp files to carry your ratings and such, or something else?

What is the issue you (OP) mentioned with the photo mechanic creating extra files? Are you talking sidebar .xmp files to carry your ratings and such, or something else?
It's the .xmp file from ranking, but it carries onto the desktop or the file folder I create to hold the photos I want to edit, and sometimes puts 2-3 .xmp files with each .nef file

It's the .xmp file from ranking, but it carries onto the desktop or the file folder I create to hold the photos I want to edit, and sometimes puts 2-3 .xmp files with each .nef file
Pretty much any program is going to need to write a file since third party software vendors usually do not write to the raw file directly. If you converted your raw files to a DNG format, then program could write the data into the DNG as it is basically a "wrapper" that can hold the original raw data as well as data that is normally written to .xmp files . Manufacturer software may be able to write into the raw file as it is their proprietary format, but as I do not use any of these software packages, I cannot say for certain.

--Ken

Not if it's using a database by default - like Lightroom Classic.
And Capture One also have this option.
That is correct, but as the OP asked primarily for a viewer, I assumed they were aware of LR/LRC and that it is a combined DAM/raw converter program (which obviously includes viewing and sorting among many other features). Possibly not a great assumption on my part.

--Ken

Bridge can be set to either render a raw or display the embedded jpeg. I assume the jpeg will be faster. It will also write an .xmp though, but I think those are quite small in disk space used.

For me, Lightroom is the best program for culling and rating photos. It is the reason I first got LR back when it was in version 2. I didn't care about the cataloging, and editing was weak then. But that early version allowed instant zooming to check critical focus, changing exposure easily to see if a pic could be salvaged, doing A-B comparisons, and marking rejects before actually deleting them.

Today's LR is much more than that, but still does the fast scrutinizing.

I too have looked for alternatives, because LR seems too huge of a program to do simple culling and rating, but end up going back to LR for that.

What I don't get is why there would be 2 or 3 .xmp files for each, as the OP said.

Last edited:
I use PM and there is just one XMP file per raw image. It is required for PM metadata.

It is possible to review, rate, cull and select images while they are still on the original card. Then you can filter the images and only download the ones you want to the location you choose - and multiple locations if desired.

Another vote for Fast Raw Viewer, my go to culling and import tool for years and, if time permits, I run it on the memory card BEFORE I import anything to my computer. For me, the only mildly aggravating shortcoming of the program is that it does not read HE and HE* files if you're a Nikon user...compressed RAW, jpg, TIFF or HIF only. I rarely use those formats, primarily for that reason, not for any IQ reason.

I make a quick run through the images to Reject the obvious to a Global Reject Folder on my laptop or PC, then I may or may not make a second pass before Moving the remaining files to a Folder(s) that are in keeping with my overall storage structure. If you don't rate or make "evaluation" adjustments while viewing a file, FRV will not create an XMP file.

Customization of all aspects of the program is outstanding and I can do all my first pass viewing and culling very quickly with keyboard customizations...left hand to zoom in/out/100%/Fit...R key rejects the image to Global Reject Folder on laptop or desktop....right hand to scroll L/R on the filmstrip. I don't generally tag my photos at this stage, it's just about getting the files I want off the card and onto a computer/portable SSD, etc. Also, for some peace of mind, there is an option to verify files as you copy or move them.

When I'm done with this process there should be no image files left on the card and it's ready to use again.

Cheers!

XmViewMP

great for sorting, renaming, inserting camera models into the file name, and viewer.

Being in Windows I prefer to use Fastone for culling, for all the rest XmMP is my lifesaver

Hello everyone,

I think this is the right thread. I am looking at apps I could use for managing my photos. There is a lot to choose from some have a database, some don't. I have a lot of my fashion media portfolio work (20,000+) so looking for something that can help me store, manage and access certain photo categories quickly. I don't know what is best. Any help would be appreciated.

Back