photographing bees

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've only been stung twice. :)

20230907-IMG_7743.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
20230429-IMG_7556.jpg
20220811-_DSC0214.jpg
20220716_DSC0056.jpg

Nice shots. I’ve. It (yet) been stung photographing bees on flowers. They are interested in the flower. I have been stung many times by accident when I mistakenly put my hand on one

I know a guy who shoots great wildlife pictures of all sorts both in the wild and at home. He is a regular presenter at my camera club and I well remember the evening he showed us the bee setup he uses in his garden.

First he put a bee hotel on a wall facing out to the garden. After it was populated he studied the flight paths that the bees were using then on a washing line that was behind the most common flight path he hung an A3 print of his hedge, suitably out of focus near the bee hotel. This was lit by a speedlight.

He then had another 5 speedlights in various positions on the flight path.

The resulting images of bees in flight were outstanding.

Typical conversation between Sue (wife) and I, There I was trying to get some photos of bees

Me " it is not easy trying to photograph Bees on small plants"

Sue " Well you don’t expect them to hang around do you? They are not going to pose for you with a smile on their face"

Me " No ! Bees can’t smile"

end conversation
Man-a-hive! Bee nice to your queen - let the little honey wax poetic, even if it sounds like droning. 🤣

Having lived in and around pear and apple orchards most of my life I've been around a lot of bee boxes. The farmer places these bee boxes (hives) around the orchards during pollination in the spring. These bees couldn't care less about you and are very focused on their job at hand. I've spent a bit of time trying my hand at shooting them since they're right out my backdoor. Lighting is key to success and don't wear bright colors ;)

I just started photographing macro and bees over the summer and have yet to be stung. I have many flowers on my patio and there's always and abundance of bees and also your occasional visit from a wasp. Im usually less than a foot from my subject but for now we all seem to get along. I don't make rapid movements and they seem not to mind me as long as they can get the pollen.

BG1.jpg
BG3.jpg
BG2.jpg
BG4.jpg
BG5.jpg
BG5.jpg

I just started photographing macro and bees over the summer and have yet to be stung. I have many flowers on my patio and there's always and abundance of bees and also your occasional visit from a wasp. Im usually less than a foot from my subject but for now we all seem to get along. I don't make rapid movements and they seem not to mind me as long as they can get the pollen.

View attachment 97948View attachment 97950View attachment 97949View attachment 97951View attachment 97952View attachment 97952
Very nice!

Back