Photographing Katmai Bears

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just returned from a first trip to Alaska, where I spent several days (Aug 13-17) photographing brown bears along the Katmai coast and Lake Clark, and thought that I’d pass along a few things about my experience there, in case anyone else is contemplating their own trip.

I was not part of any organized tour, but put my own itinerary together. I was based in Homer - a fantastic little fishing center on Katchemak Bay. I flew out every day with Martin Boland, owner pilot/guide of Scenic Bear Viewing (https://www.scenicbearviewing.com/), and between one and three other clients. Martin is very experienced, has over 14,000 flying hours, and is very particular about his plane, equipment, guests, and bear etiquette, which I found reassuring. I would highly recommend Martin over other local competitors- he’s that good. The flights themselves were almost worth the cost, as we flew over spectacular snow-capped mountains, glaciers, and glacial lakes before landing on the beach at Katmai, and another day at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark National Park. At Katmai, the bears were numerous and actively fishing in the streams emptying into Cook Inlet, and we were able to get amazingly close to them which, for a wildlife enthusiast like me, was heaven. I quickly discovered that my 500mm was too long, and ended up switching to a 70-200 (with and without TC) for the majority of the time. Martin shoots Canon mounted with a 100-400, which I believe would have been perfect for the conditions. I lugged along my Gitzo tripod and Flexshooter head, but in retrospect a monopod would have been a better choice. The bears were truly awesome, and I was able to capture some images that I was very pleased with and, best of all, we had the place to ourselves for much of the mornings (later, only two other planes landed with a handful of people). Local scenery was equally spectacular, and I enjoyed taking a number of landscape images.

My time at Lake Clark NP was rather different - vast expanses of marine mudflats (some of which were very deep and sticky!), where numerous bears were clamming, including three sows with two cubs each in tow. It was a real treat to photograph the cubs trying to learn how to clam from their moms (they give no handouts - it’s everyone for themselves!). Also, it was a little more crowded with humans (although not excessively so), mainly because of the close proximity of Silver Salmon Lodge, which sent out several tourist parties on ATVs. A tour boat also showed up mid-morning, disgorging about 10 people. But, for the initial 2 hours, we more or less had the place to ourselves - again, a benefit of flying with Martin, who gets you there early. Once again, equipment wise, my 70-200 got plenty of use, but a lens in the 100-400 range would have been ideal. Next time.

I purposely avoided Brooks Falls because of the crowds, and I’m glad that I did. I spoke with several people who had visited the Falls, and they all reported feeling frustrated by the crowds and limited time on the viewing platform, although of course they loved watching the bears fishing. Someday I’d like to visit Brooks, but I think the only way I’d consider it would be to camp there, so that I had early and late access, when it’s a little less crowded. Aside from the novelty of shooting bears at a waterfall (and the proverbial salmon jumping into the bear’s mouth that everyone wants), I had a much better time at Katmai and Lake Clark, where I had virtually unlimited access to bears up close and personal fishing and clamming, and where there were few other people around. Next summer I plan to do exactly the same thing.

Homer: great little town, billed as the “halibut fishing capital of the world”, and indeed it is - plenty of commercial and sport fishing boats in operation. I enjoyed walking the town docks, where I was able to spot and photograph sea otters and harbor seals. My B&B (Ocean House Inn), perched on a high cliff above Katchemak Bay just outside of Homer’s “spit”, was fantastic, and I’d highly recommend it. Great little seafood joint called Daily Catch also was amazing - I returned to it three nights in a row for their signature halibut dinner. Two Sisters Bakery/Cafe also amazingly good.

I hope this is helpful to others. Coastal Alaska is most definitely worth the long travel and expense - in fact, I now feel somewhat spoiled by the abundant wildlife, compared to what I normally see in the eastern U.S.

IMG_0709.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0710.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great trip Clark, and I look forward to seeing more of your shots. Thanks for the great description of how you put your trip together, it sounds like a great way to go. I stayed at Silver Salmon Lodge last year and loved it. I always enjoy seeing images of coastal brown bears, they are such a magnificent creature and your images here bear that out (pun intended). :)

I just returned from a first trip to Alaska, where I spent several days (Aug 13-17) photographing brown bears along the Katmai coast and Lake Clark, and thought that I’d pass along a few things about my experience there, in case anyone else is contemplating their own trip.

I was not part of any organized tour, but put my own itinerary together. I was based in Homer - a fantastic little fishing center on Katchemak Bay. I flew out every day with Martin Boland, owner pilot/guide of Scenic Bear Viewing (https://www.scenicbearviewing.com/), and between one and three other clients. Martin is very experienced, has over 14,000 flying hours, and is very particular about his plane, equipment, guests, and bear etiquette, which I found reassuring. I would highly recommend Martin over other local competitors- he’s that good. The flights themselves were almost worth the cost, as we flew over spectacular snow-capped mountains, glaciers, and glacial lakes before landing on the beach at Katmai, and another day at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark. At Katmai, the bears were numerous and actively fishing in the streams emptying into Cook Inlet, and we were able to get amazingly close to them which, for a wildlife enthusiast like me, was heaven. I quickly discovered that my 500mm was too long, and ended up switching to a 70-200 (with and without TC) for the majority of the time. Martin shoots Canon mounted with a 100-400, which I believe would have been perfect for the conditions. I lugged along my Gitzo tripod and Flexshooter head, but in retrospect a monopod would have been a better choice. The bears were truly awesome, and I was able to capture some images that I was very pleased with and, best of all, we had the place to ourselves for much of the mornings (later, only two other planes landed with a handful of people). Local scenery was equally spectacular, and I enjoyed taking a number of landscape images.

My time at Lake Clark NP was rather different - vast expanses of marine mudflats (some of which were very deep and sticky!), where numerous bears were clamming, including three sows with two cubs each in tow. It was a real treat to photograph the cubs trying to learn how to clam from their moms (they give no handouts - it’s everyone for themselves!). Also, it was a little more crowded with humans (although not excessively so), mainly because of the close proximity of Silver Salmon Lodge, which sent out several tourist parties on ATVs. A tour boat also showed up mid-morning, disgorging about 10 people. But, for the initial 2 hours, we more or less had the place to ourselves - again, a benefit of flying with Martin, who gets you there early. Once again, equipment wise, my 20-200 got plenty of use, but a lens in the 100-400 range would have been ideal. Next time.

I purposely avoided Brooks Falls because of the crowds, and I’m glad that I did. I spoke with several people who had visited the Falls, and they all reported feeling frustrated by the crowds and limited time on the viewing platform, although of course they loved watching the bears fishing. Someday I’d like to visit Brooks, but I think the only way I’d consider it would be to camp there, so that I had early and late access, when it’s a little less crowded. Aside from the novelty of shooting bears at a waterfall (and the proverbial salmon jumping into the bear’s mouth that everyone wants), I had a much better time at Katmai and Lake Clark, where I had virtually unlimited access to bears up close and personal fishing and clamming, and where there were few other people around. Next summer I plan to do exactly the same thing.

Homer: great little town, billed as the “halibut fishing capital of the world”, and indeed it is - plenty of commercial and sport fishing boats in operation. I enjoyed walking the town docks, where I was able to spot and photograph sea otters and harbor seals. My B&B (Ocean House Inn), perched on a high cliff above Katchemak Bay just outside of Homer’s “spit”, was fantastic, and I’d highly recommend it. Great little seafood joint called Daily Catch also was amazing - I returned to it three nights in a row for their signature halibut dinner. Two Sisters Bakery/Cafe also amazingly good.

I hope this is helpful to others. Coastal Alaska is most definitely worth the long travel and expense - in fact, I now feel somewhat spoiled by the abundant wildlife, compared to what I normally see in the eastern U.S.

View attachment 68927

View attachment 68928
Great shots Clark! Thanks for the information. That is a trip I would like to take!

Nice summary, Clark. IMO it was a good choice not doing a day trip to Brooks. For any serious photographer staying overnight and shooting early/late is the way to go.

One caution for anyone reading regarding lens choices. Much depends on location and individual style of photography. I just returned from eight days on the Katmai coast. We spent 6-8 hours per day shooting on a salmon stream and tidal flats. Over 75 percent of my shots were made at 400mm or more, 30 percent at 500mm or more, and 20 percent at EFL of 600mm or more(via crop mode). I didn't even bother taking a 70-200mm this trip and had no regrets. Many times bears were literally close enough to spit on. When they get in that range I either shoot portraits, take cell phone video, or just watch them. So style/preference is a big factor in choice of lenses.

Nice summary, Clark. IMO it was a good choice not doing a day trip to Brooks. For any serious photographer staying overnight and shooting early/late is the way to go.
Yep…but because of the lottery for spots at Brooks that’s generally runs a year out, the unpredictability of the salmon runs which severely limits the bears at the falls if you miss the rub…it’s an awful expensive trip and one must take that into account when deciding if bang for the bucks is there. We went to Katmai but not to Brooks and had decent luck…but there aren’t any of the classic at the falls grabbing fish out of the air shots from my trip.

One caution for anyone reading regarding lens choices. Much depends on location and individual style of photography. I just returned from eight days on the Katmai coast. We spent 6-8 hours per day shooting on a salmon stream and tidal flats. Over 75 percent of my shots were made at 400mm or more, 30 percent at 500mm or more, and 20 percent at EFL of 600mm or more(via crop mode). I didn't even bother taking a 70-200mm this trip and had no regrets. Many times bears were literally close enough to spit on. When they get in that range I either shoot portraits, take cell phone video, or just watch them. So style/preference is a big factor in choice of lenses.
Great points, Dan! I’m sure there are many situations that call for longer glass - I just didn’t need them where I was, although to be fair, I did use the 500 about 25% of the time. Would you mind sharing exactly where you were, and whether or not you camped or lodged there? Just thinking about my return trip next year. Although the daily flights from Homer were short and very enjoyable, it got a little expensive @ $800/day.

Just as a follow up comment, a few weeks ago I posted a suggestion (https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/new-forum-category.27320/) to create a separate forum just for trip reports. I thought perhaps such a thing would be an easier source for BCG folks to get information on an area they’re considering for a trip, but the idea didn’t seem to get much traction. However, if there’s sufficient interest, perhaps we could ask if this is something Steve would support? Just an idea.

Just as a follow up comment, a few weeks ago I posted a suggestion (https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/new-forum-category.27320/) to create a separate forum just for trip reports. I thought perhaps such a thing would be an easier source for BCG folks to get information on an area they’re considering for a trip, but the idea didn’t seem to get much traction. However, if there’s sufficient interest, perhaps we could ask if this is something Steve would support? Just an idea.
I think that’s a fantastic idea

...Would you mind sharing exactly where you were, and whether or not you camped or lodged there? Just thinking about my return trip next year. Although the daily flights from Homer were short and very enjoyable, it got a little expensive @ $800/day.
There are three or four boat operators who work the Katmai coast. I was with Coastal Outfitters who I've been with a couple of times in the past. The daily costs are comparable but of course include room/board and you get more shooting time and more optimized timing. For example in the middle of the day if there were any other people around who came in on day flights and/or lighting was harsh we we would take a mid-day break for a couple of hours. Based on the tides we would start shooting as soon as it was light enough and/or stay until it was too dark. However we have a history with the operator and not all outfitters are that flexible. Some are very rigid about meal times. Also you have to book the whole boat or join a workshop which has booked the boat. Of course going via a workshop increases the cost.

I haven't looked into any other lodges etc for several years. Silver Salmon Creek Lodge used to take individual travelers but I have no idea whether they still do. Brooks used to rent individual beds in the cabins but stopped that years ago. Camping at Brooks is probably one of the lowest cost options but for that reason is difficult to book. Also the McNeil River lottery is reasonable from a cost standpoint but statistically low probability of drawing a permit.

OK, a few of you asked for more images, so here are a few more of my keepers.

IMG_0712.jpeg

Mamma bear giving us the stink eye, and warning us to keep our distance from her cubs.
IMG_0716.jpeg

I was surprised to find bears napping on the beach after a morning of fishing for salmon. I almost felt like walking up and petting them but though perhaps it might not be wise. 🥴 That‘s our plane in the background.
IMG_0644.jpeg

This gives you an idea of how close the bears come (even closer!). They’re very relaxed around people - totally focused on fishing.
IMG_0717.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip and great photos.

I did a trip to Katmai in the summer of 2021. Led by Art Wolf. We stayed at a lodge in Iliamna and flew into the park and preserve each day by floatplane. Great trip.

Art did not want to go to Brooks Falls, but our local guide/pilot strongly encouraged it, saying there was a big sockeye salmon run (end of July, beginning of August) and lots of bear activity at the falls.

So we went to Brooks after lunch on our first day at the lodge. There were 26 float planes at Brooks as we landed and taxiied in. But the good news was, given when we arrived, people were already starting to leave. Our first chance to go to the closest viewing platform to the falls was crowded. But after that it was better. We saw something north of 40 bears at or near the falls.

I also liked photographing bears on the falls from the far viewing platform with a long lens. I used a D850 and 500 mm pf. Gave a nice and different perspective than shots from the closer platform. Fewer people too. Going back, I'd use a 1.4x TC with the 500 mm PF (or a longer lens if I had it) from the father platform.

Overall, I thought Brooks was fun and I was glad to see it. We spent the rest of the trip photographing bears on creeks and rivers in the park and preserve. The bears were where the salmon were. That was amazing too. As to people, only an occasional fisherman.

Back