Photographing wildlife at noon - any tips?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Later this year I'll be photographing some puffins for a couple of days. An access to them is constricted by the boat tour hours. In my particular case I'll be visiting them in June around midday so I can expect the sun to be directly above my head. There's always a chance for some clouds, but of course - no guarantees.

Any tips on how to manage such a harsh light during these photo sessions?

I suggest that you "think" in black and white, and plan to process your pictures in that way. Puffins will be one of the hardest animals to photograph in direct sunlight. With a white head and black body, you will need to decide where to control your exposure. From a purely technical POV, I would make sure that you do not blow out the highlights and do your best to pull up the blacks when you do your post work. If you expose for the ambient conditions, you should be fine. However, depending on sun angle, the whites may get hot or become gray.
To be honest, I would hope for an overcast day. If the conditions are unfavorable, take a few memory shots, look for ways to exploit the light, and then enjoy the tour.

bruce

Thank you. Your responses don't seem too optimistic 😅 Although the location in question is an island in the North Atlantic Ocean - so I guess the chance for some overcast during a couple of days is quite decent, even in June.

Overcast weather would be your best friend indeed 🙂

Failing that and being forced to deal with harsh midday light; often highkey style shooting can still work perfectly well.

Best bet is to hope for thin clouds that diffuse but don't completely flatten the light or shooting into the shade as posted above. If those aren't possible then really try to keep your ISO low which allows you the most flexibility to pull shadows up in post processing. As always, keep an eye on highlights, especially the white feathers on Puffins or similar birds and make sure those don't blow out.

Have a great trip, sounds like fun.

As above with the exposure, and pray for overcast conditions
Ive photographed them quite a few times on the island of Skomer just off the UK coast
What i would suggest from my findings is to get yourself comfy and just watch them flying around they’re quick little buggers!!
and what you will notice is that they wont always land!! Keep your focus on that puffin watching it fly back out to the ocean and they normally come in again to land, this way you’re locked onto it for when they come into land and more of a chance of getting the shot! Good luck

Maybe practice using your blinkies to keep the brightest important bits near the right wall of the histogram.

Not gonna happen, DSLR user here. That's a good tip though!
Nikon DSLRs support both Blinkies (Highlight warning) and histograms in image review. IOW, take a periodic test shot and review it with Highlights, Histogram or both enabled in the playback menu to make sure you're not clipping your highlights. You don't get a pre-capture histogram like you can in a mirrorless camera but it's easy and a good habit to occasionally review blinkies or histograms as light or subjects change to make sure you're not blowing out your images especially on a special shoot that's not easy to return to.

Nikon DSLRs support both Blinkies (Highlight warning) and histograms in image review. IOW, take a periodic test shot and review it with Highlights, Histogram or both enabled in the playback menu to make sure you're not clipping your highlights. You don't get a pre-capture histogram like you can in a mirrorless camera but it's easy and a good habit to occasionally review blinkies or histograms as light or subjects change to make sure you're not blowing out your images especially on a special shoot that's not easy to return to.

I knew about the histogram and use it quite frequently, although I wasn't aware that I can enable the blinkies in the display mode. I'm gonna look into it, thank you!

I'm also considering giving the highlight-weighted metering mode a try (however I'm quite used to the matrix one so it could be risky).

I knew about the histogram and use it quite frequently, although I wasn't aware that I can enable the blinkies in the display mode. I'm gonna look into it, thank you!

I'm also considering giving the highlight-weighted metering mode a try (however I'm quite used to the matrix one so it could be risky).

While I don't use Nikon, I have a habit of using canons version of matrix (evaluative) to find the highest non-blinkie exposure. Then I know I can increase up to two-thirds of a stop beyond that point and still be safe.

In full sun, keep the sun behind you as much as you can. Avoid shooting the shadow side of birds.

Condor.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I can expect the sun to be directly above my head.
Much of the UK is north of the 49th parallel so the sun is not directly overhead though of course light can be harsh around midday, particularly if you get what you don't want – a clear blue sky.

If you visit the Farne Islands on the north east of the UK and take the double boat trip you are on the Islands between about 10.15 am and 3:30 pm.

Later this year I'll be photographing some puffins for a couple of days. An access to them is constricted by the boat tour hours. In my particular case I'll be visiting them in June around midday so I can expect the sun to be directly above my head. There's always a chance for some clouds, but of course - no guarantees.

Take several test shots and review with the highlights screen (Blinkies) as Dave suggested. Expose for the whites. Everything else can be brought up to proper exposure using the shadow slider in post processing. Good luck.

I don't know why so many are indicating that the conditions you mention are gonna be problematic. This pic was taken around midday in the clear skies and blazing full sun of Arizona. I was quite happy with that light.

View attachment 87115
I think your post raises a good point in that everyone here has been commenting on the question of harsh lighting or blowing out highlights and sure these are risks but they're relatively easily managed with just a small amount of attention paid. I think the real danger for midday shooting will be the potential impact of distortion from heat differentials and atmospherics, something which I'd imagine might not be as much of an issue for trying to shoot a photo over open land in a place like Arizona where things might be pretty dry and uniform a lot of the time but might be a huge problem shooting over water in regions that are further north.

I assume you're headed to Machias Seal Island, and perhaps using Bold Coast to get there. There's a fair to middlin' chance you'll have overcast skies, so I'd be more concerned about whether the seas will be too rough to land than I would about light. While bright light isn't ideal, your subjects and setting should be enough to enable you to get some great shots. Enjoy!

I think the real danger for midday shooting will be the potential impact of distortion from heat differentials and atmospherics, something which I'd imagine might not be as much of an issue for trying to shoot a photo over open land in a place like Arizona where things might be pretty dry and uniform a lot of the time but might be a huge problem shooting over water in regions that are further north.

That's correct. I'm actually even more concerned about the heat haze than I am about the light quality. I suppose I'll have to close the distance to the target as much as possible and then just spray 'n' pray. It kinda worked during my recent Mediterranean trip.

I assume you're headed to Machias Seal Island, and perhaps using Bold Coast to get there. There's a fair to middlin' chance you'll have overcast skies, so I'd be more concerned about whether the seas will be too rough to land than I would about light. While bright light isn't ideal, your subjects and setting should be enough to enable you to get some great shots. Enjoy!

Haha, wrong guess :) I'm headed to Ireland. "Fortunately" the country is rather known from it's dynamic weather patterns - so it would be odd to not get any overcast at all.

Back