Photography from a kayak question(s)...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you for the descriptions and insights. It just made me leery of even looking at sit-ins because I didn't want to deal with something like that, so good to know they're more stable, it keeps my options more open.

The Wilderness Systems Pungo line had been mentioned numerous times, and that's what I use as well. Mine is the Pungo 120. I typically use it on a lake in a state park that doesn't allow any type of motor, so no fishing boats, jet skis, etc. And I find it extremely stable. I typically only use a dry bag when entering or exiting the kayak, or that one time when I got hit with an unexpected rain shower...

The only time I used it on a motorized lake, there were whitecaps due to pretty strong winds, as well as fishing boats zooming around. Camera stayed in the drybag most of the time, but the kayak itself felt very stable. Sure, got a little water inside due to waves and wind, but it still felt very stable. I think my upper body got wetter due to spray coming off the waves.

I do have a short length of rope with a carabiner looped around the seat struts. When the camera is in a drybag the carabiner is clipped to the drybag. When it's out for shooting the carabiner is clipped to a QD swivel attached to the lens foot. I figure, worse case I dunk the camera/lens, but at least it won't sink to the bottom of the lake. That said, I've never been too concerned about carrying photo equipment in my kayak. But again, I'm in (usually) very calm water.

I have used kayaks and always ones with a rudder as it makes it far more efficient when there is a cross wind to move in the desired direction. I upgraded to pedal driven kayaks with the Hobie Revolution 13 and this kept my hands dry and free to hold and use the camera. In salt water the drips off the paddles are salt water and so a problem with photo gear.

I went from mounting them the 7 feet off the ground on a roof rack on my truck to using a trailer that made it much faster to launch and retrive the boats. But traveling with a trailer is a slower way to go and often kayak launch areas are not setup for boat trailers.

I am now looking to buy the Saturn fin drive pedal inflatable kayak that weighs 43 lbs and can be taken in the back of a car to the launch area. Far easier to store one of these kayaks as well. The one downside is getting them perfectly dry to pass inspection at lakes and reservoirs where there is not already a quagga or zebra mussel invasive species present is more difficult.

Now that there are alternatives to the extremely expensive and heavy Hobie pedal drive kayaks the cost has gone down by more than 50%. There are also propeller drive and fin drive types. The fin drive are better in very shallow water and the propelller drive provide instant reverse to maintain a position despite any wind and current.

I have a Current Designs Libra XT Double Kayak and a rack on top of our Toyota Land Cruiser. It is a beautiful Kayak but too heavy and long for my wife to help put on and take off and I have considered selling it and getting a single I can carry myself. I hadn't considered a trailer like one of the pictures posted earlier in the thread. That could work but5 I still might want a single since I would typically go by myself. Puget Sound would be my main destination. It is stable with both a large center storage compartment and a nice forward storage area for keeping camera and other gear dry when desired but need to keep it off the bottom if water does splash inside.

Current_Designs_Libra_XT_Kayak_1000p.jpg

Coming from commercial fishing in Maine when I was younger we referred to sea kayaks as “speed bumps” as you can’t see them in the fog, fortunately they show up on radar if you have it.

From the ones I’ve used which was sea and white water the sea kayaks were very stable, I learned to roll them when I was younger but I wouldn’t be confident in being able to do that now. Most of my time spent which is a lot is in canoes which I’ve never rolled outside of a whitewater canoe race.

Mostly if it were to happen it would be getting in and out of any of the small boats and you slip or get snagged on something. Even most canoes are incredibly hard to actually roll unless you’re trying hard.

If it’s a concern the dry bag in and out would be the time you’d flip it anyway. I’ve taken my cameras without dry bags my entire life and never come close to any issue dunking them.

And as mentioned just research a model with high stability. Generally they’re slower to paddle but wider and far more stable. They make them in all types. Faster are usually narrow and less stable.

Offshore in Maine where I grew up the white sharks have made a major comeback and those kayaks look a bit sketchy now. One of the fisherman we know had one (a large one) hit a lobster trap he was pulling out of the water out working a year ago. It shocked him pretty good. It just missed his arm.

I use Oru Beach LT *foldable* kayak. It's very stable and convenient to transport. Not too slow, pretty decent I'd say. That said, I will be also getting a hard shell kayak.

If anyone used a Delta 12AR, please comment on your experience. It's supposed to be very stable, yet not slow, relatively speaking.

Although I've used a kayak in rough water, for small lakes, quiet streams and wetland channels you guys can keep your kayaks, I'll use my 10'6" Hornbeck Lost Pond Boat made with kevlar and carbon fiber, it's a 15 pound canoe that I can carry on one finger. It has a sit-on-the-bottom mounted seat and is paddled with a double bladed paddle; very stable because all the weight is down low and, because it's totally open, is easy to get in and out of. Several other companies make similar canoes, all resembling the famous Wee Lassie made by Henry Rushton in the 1800s that's been called to best canoe ever designed.

Although I've used a kayak in rough water, for small lakes, quiet streams and wetland channels you guys can keep your kayaks, I'll use my 10'6" Hornbeck Lost Pond Boat made with kevlar and carbon fiber, it's a 15 pound canoe that I can carry on one finger. It has a sit-on-the-bottom mounted seat and is paddled with a double bladed paddle; very stable because all the weight is down low and, because it's totally open, is easy to get in and out of. Several other companies make similar canoes, all resembling the famous Wee Lassie made by Henry Rushton in the 1800s that's been called to best canoe ever designed.
Very interesting. Never heard of this type of boat before. Is the seat comfortable? How is the speed compared to the rec kayak of similar size, eg Eddieline Sky 10? And what are the other companies you mentioned make similar designs? Thanks a lot.

Very interesting. Never heard of this type of boat before. Is the seat comfortable? How is the speed compared to the rec kayak of similar size, eg Eddieline Sky 10? And what are the other companies you mentioned make similar designs? Thanks a lot.

I had a 10'6" Old Town recreational kayak and the Hornbeck is significantly faster due to its superior lines and is much easier to carry. I wanted another and have always wanted to build a strip canoe, so I took the lines off my Hornbeck and built my own (https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-wee-lassie.html) but at 22 pounds it weighs quite a bit more. The Hornbeck's seat is closed-cell foam about two inches thick that provides floatation if the canoe is swamped.

Similar canoes are made by Slipstream Watercraft (http://www.slipstreamwatercraft.com/Slipstream_Watercraft_2/Wee_Lassie_106".html), Placid Boatworks (https://placidboatworks.com/our-boats/spitfire/) and others.

Amazing work, @Woody Meristem! I use a a Pungo 125 as my craftsmanship is limited to searching online and checking out. :)

I had a 10'6" Old Town recreational kayak and the Hornbeck is significantly faster due to its superior lines and is much easier to carry. I wanted another and have always wanted to build a strip canoe, so I took the lines off my Hornbeck and built my own (https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-wee-lassie.html) but at 22 pounds it weighs quite a bit more. The Hornbeck's seat is closed-cell foam about two inches thick that provides floatation if the canoe is swamped.

Similar canoes are made by Slipstream Watercraft (http://www.slipstreamwatercraft.com/Slipstream_Watercraft_2/Wee_Lassie_106".html), Placid Boatworks (https://placidboatworks.com/our-boats/spitfire/) and others.
Amazing work! Is Hornbeck comfortable to sit in and paddle? Is there a possibility to attach foot pegs and replace the seat with a more "sporty" one? Thank you.

Back