Playing Chicken with a Bear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
One of my goals/desired shots this past summer was to capture a nicely isolated bear walking towards the camera. I posted one example in this other thread a few days ago. But that was a random opportunity. In this set I saw a beautiful male bear quite a way off walking up the creek bank heading my way. He was coming upstream with the bay behind him and the BG faded out to grey due to the misty rain. So I moved down close to the edge of the creek with my handheld kit and took some shots as he approached. There's an unwritten rule to leave the bears room to walk the creek bank to I relocated before he got too close. Some might say I lost my nerve and retreated :rolleyes:

1)
Z8A_4816_DxO.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2)
Z8A_4821_DxO.jpg

3) Another bear photobombed this shot.
Z8A_4864_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhh! Those beady red eyes! That third shot has him looking directly at you! It would be easy to remove the photo bombing bear. Copy right side, flip horizontal, mask. Done!

Ohhhhhhh! Those beady red eyes! That third shot has him looking directly at you! It would be easy to remove the photo bombing bear. Copy right side, flip horizontal, mask. Done!
They do have beady eyes, don't they? Unfortunately I don't use PS and cloning that guy out in LR is beyond my skill. Or patience anyway.

Stunning. That lens is a gem by the way
Thanks, Rene. Yes it's a nice little lens. Just a tad short.

Really nice shots, Dan! Well done.
Thanks, Woody.

Fantastic photos, Dan! Really belies the fact of how dangerous they can be. Can't say I blame you for losing your nerve and retreating!
Glad you enjoyed the images, Mike. Yeah it was time to move. From the first to last image his head position dropped. That's not good body language.

One of my goals/desired shots this past summer was to capture a nicely isolated bear walking towards the camera. I posted one example in this other thread a few days ago. But that was a random opportunity. In this set I saw a beautiful male bear quite a way off walking up the creek bank heading my way. He was coming upstream with the bay behind him and the BG faded out to grey due to the misty rain. So I moved down close to the edge of the creek with my handheld kit and took some shots as he approached. There's an unwritten rule to leave the bears room to walk the creek bank to I relocated before he got too close. Some might say I lost my nerve and retreated :rolleyes:

1)
View attachment 74400

2)
View attachment 74401

View attachment 74414
Beautiful shots Dan! Looks like he was close enough in my opinion. 👍👍👍👍

Very nice set, Dan, he got close enough for some great shots. If I recall, it's the guy that doesn't lose his nerve that gets himself in trouble. Good job listening to that little voice inside. ;)

Oh oh, he looks hungry! R U N !!

Great images.
Thanks, Patrick.

Yeah man! Awesome
Appreciate the comment, Charles.

Beautiful shots Dan! Looks like he was close enough in my opinion. 👍👍👍👍
Yeah he was getting plenty close. This guy was pushy too. Had a couple encounters with him trying to push us around.

Very nice set, Dan, he got close enough for some great shots. If I recall, it's the guy that doesn't lose his nerve that gets himself in trouble. Good job listening to that little voice inside. ;)
Thanks, Kirk. 400mm isn't as much lens as you think. Wish I'd had the TC fitted that day.

Impressive series! These guys can be so unpredictable and you just never know what will set them off. Besides these great images you get kudos for courage. OR…. did you know you can’t outrun a bear 🐻?😂👍

That trip was a gold mine for you Dan! One awesome shot after another. Wish I had been there. Excellent shots - all three.

Terrific shots.

This is one instance where I hope you cropped in post!
Actually the first two were shot in crop mode. The last one was a good bit closer.

Woah!! 400mm, no way. I'd need 800 with a 2x. :) Outstanding set.
Thanks, Rick.

Discretion being the better part of valor... you were wise.

Done differently, we might have never seen these wonderful shots you've taken.
Basic rules of the road. The biggest guy has the right of way.

Impressive series! These guys can be so unpredictable and you just never know what will set them off. Besides these great images you get kudos for courage. OR…. did you know you can’t outrun a bear 🐻?😂👍
As long as I didn't grab a fish and try to run off with it they didn't really care.

That trip was a gold mine for you Dan! One awesome shot after another. Wish I had been there. Excellent shots - all three.
Thanks for commenting, Fred. It was a great trip. Still going through images as time allows.

Thanks, Patrick.

Appreciate the comment, Charles.

Yeah he was getting plenty close. This guy was pushy too. Had a couple encounters with him trying to push us around.

Thanks, Kirk. 400mm isn't as much lens as you think. Wish I'd had the TC fitted that day.
I hope you didn't soil your britches. :oops:

I hope you didn't soil your britches. :oops:
Only on the outside. A week of sitting in mud, seaweed, leftover bits of salmon, and gull droppings. Rather rank.

Great shots. Second one especially for me.
Glad you enjoyed them, Stephan. I've also settled on that one as my favorite of the series.

Well, if you wanted head shots, you could always have walked in the direction of the bear to get a little closer....

Seriously though, awesome shots. At 400mm, I think I would have bailed out way before he was filling the frame :)
Thanks for commenting. I prefer a little more breathing room but we work with what we've got.

1)
View attachment 74400

2)
View attachment 74401

View attachment 74414
Great shots Dan! Your bear images are always awesome!

1)
View attachment 74400

2)
View attachment 74401

View attachment 74414
Outstanding and then some...
This is worth some major league WOW'S.

Back