Plover in Golden Hour - My first backlit attempt!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is my first try in intentionally attempting backlight shots. I had a couple lucky instances before where I happened to see subjects with sun behind them but this was me fixed to try it beforehand. Got to say it is quite difficult to get an initial focus and then maintain it on such fast moving subjects and to catch them at peak action. But overall happy with the result. What do you guys think?? ( I may have brought the saturation bit over but kinda like this look :) )

plover_sunset_backlight 1200px.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Gear used : Nikon D7100 with Nikkor 200-500 VR

This is my first try in intentionally attempting backlight shots. I had a couple lucky instances before where I happened to see subjects with sun behind them but this was me fixed to try it beforehand. Got to say it is quite difficult to get an initial focus and then maintain it on such fast moving subjects and to catch them at peak action. But overall happy with the result. What do you guys think?? ( I may have brought the saturation bit over but kinda like this look :) )

View attachment 30273
Gear used : Nikon D7100 with Nikkor 200-500 VR
I like it! Well done👍👍

I think, it is excellent done: the black silhouette on the beautiful bokeh. Good perspective with low stand-point. Next time I would try to get more bokeh having the bird smaller in frame and place it in some of 1/3 (rather more bokeh down than up) And I would try also to have 3 or 5 birds if possible, perhaps waiting for some special pattern/pose of all.

I think, it is excellent done: the black silhouette on the beautiful bokeh. Good perspective with low stand-point. Next time I would try to get more bokeh having the bird smaller in frame and place it in some of 1/3 (rather more bokeh down than up) And I would try also to have 3 or 5 birds if possible, perhaps waiting for some special pattern/pose of all.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! The issue with going wider/more birds atleast on that day was the area that gets hit by the golden light during sundown is a very thin strip just under the setting sun(where the light shimmers on the water surface giving us thise bokeh balls)...so you would have to wait and see if any thing at all comes in that area to get a good silhouette.. If you see the right portion of the image has already got less punch of light to it...and this is with a 500mm lens in a crop body.
I would have to see if there are other locations where I'll get a wider throw of light to be more creative. Also it could be my inefficiency in making most of the situation as i am pretty immature in backlight images 🙂

This is a beautiful image. You've captured a lot of detail in the silhouette, something that challenges the AF system.
The backlit color and bokeh takes the photo to another level.

regards,
bruce

This is a beautiful image. You've captured a lot of detail in the silhouette, something that challenges the AF system.
The backlit color and bokeh takes the photo to another level.

regards,
bruce
Thankyou Bruce :D ,
Yes, getting the AF lock was a real struggle!! And these fast moving birds add another layer of complexity over it.

Back