Polar expedition postponed....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My trip to Baffin Island has been posponed to 2025 -- a mishap in arctic extreme cold means a tour leader is unable to take us. He's recovering and will be okay! Thankfully!!

LOTS of work done to find options that worked to get us there next month, but we just couldn't make those work; seriously good customer service, underlining our choice of operator that's for sure! So all good, but for some disappointment which never hurt anybody :)

One thing is sure I'll now be very prepared come next spring :)

One great discovery -- I finally found a pair of mittens (glomitts, actually) that I found almost too warm (tho only tested in -8C) and way too warm wearing with a liner glove at that temp. And my Goretex mitten shells fit over perfectly. Wildly expensive for mittens, I already know I'd have paid more -- Kuiu's 'super down glassing glomitt'. I was also able to shoot wearing them -- they have a tiny slit (that 'seals' nicely when index finger tip is retracted back inside them) for the shutter finger and have traction beads which I found worked the rear control wheel easily, and they are 'thin enough and light enough being down filled) that I could easily feel the bbf button under my thumb.

Aaaand, I was purposefully delaying making my decision about a back up camera, for $ reasons, until the last minute so that's an expense that can now wait (or more likely applied elsewhere as my lust for the Plena has only grown :) ).

My trip to Baffin Island has been posponed to 2025 -- a mishap in arctic extreme cold means a tour leader is unable to take us. He's recovering and will be okay! Thankfully!!

LOTS of work done to find options that worked to get us there next month, but we just couldn't make those work; seriously good customer service, underlining our choice of operator that's for sure! So all good, but for some disappointment which never hurt anybody :)

One thing is sure I'll now be very prepared come next spring :)

One great discovery -- I finally found a pair of mittens (glomitts, actually) that I found almost too warm (tho only tested in -8C) and way too warm wearing with a liner glove at that temp. And my Goretex mitten shells fit over perfectly. Wildly expensive for mittens, I already know I'd have paid more -- Kuiu's 'super down glassing glomitt'. I was also able to shoot wearing them -- they have a tiny slit (that 'seals' nicely when index finger tip is retracted back inside them) for the shutter finger and have traction beads which I found worked the rear control wheel easily, and they are 'thin enough and light enough being down filled) that I could easily feel the bbf button under my thumb.

Aaaand, I was purposefully delaying making my decision about a back up camera, for $ reasons, until the last minute so that's an expense that can now wait (or more likely applied elsewhere as my lust for the Plena has only grown :) ).
the delay stinks. Glad the tour leader is going to be OK. At the end of the day, that is what is most important.

I bought a Plena a few months ago. It’s an outstanding lens. If you are able to acquire one for your 2025 trip I’m sure you’ll capture magical images!
Glad to get more evidence that I must HAVE (eg NEED) the lens :) Have you been using it for wildlife at all? The focal length likely not all that useful for the trip; I'm eager for the lens for people work.

the delay stinks. Glad the tour leader is going to be OK. At the end of the day, that is what is most important.
Yah, Sh*t happens and does no good to get pissed about it. And yup our concern was immediately for and continues to be for the tour leader!

Last edited:
Glad to get more evidence that I must HAVE (eg NEED) the lens :) Have you been using it for wildlife at all? The focal length likely not all that useful for the trip; I'm eager for the lens for people work.
Sorry to hear of the delay. I love the Plena too. Not to much wildlife yet but plan on using it for auto capture. I won’t travel without it. Do have to compose with your feet more. People images are great. Zero post with this
crop_MDH0824.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The focal length is useful when you can get close. In situations where birds or other wildlife are habituated to people being nearby, it’s marvelous.

Sorry to hear of the delay. I love the Plena too. Not to much wildlife yet but plan on using it for auto capture. I won’t travel without it. Do have to compose with your feet more. People images are great. Zero post with this View attachment 85219
Yah, I've been shooting with the 50 1.2 a lot, and have been told the Plena blows it away, so am eager to hand more $ over to Nikon (your photo is not helping ha!).

Yes, very interested in the gloves! Still haven't found a 'great' solution for Wisconsin winters yet.

Those are the boots I have for Wisconsin winters! Best snow boots I’ve ever owned, so good that most days my feet are the only thing that stay warm! Def gonna look at those gloves you mentioned!
Like I say 'test' was only at -8C and I was moving, but still I was impressed with the mitts. And with a liner and a gortex shell added (which I add for my other failed mittens including the popular photographer mittens) I think they'll be unbeatable. Them alone I kept taking them off to let my hands cool down a bit to avoid sweaty palms in them -- which is unheard of for me who has 'frozen' his hands inoperably so often that I can sometimes be found wearing light gloves when running on chilly summer mornings :) And yah, the boots I are great low activity boots!!

Back