Poll : What motivates you?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot wildlife subjects because...

• I'm in it for the art. I am focused on form, mood, and/or a message.

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • I'm in for the sport. Action excites me. I catch peak moments to display the animal & my skill.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I'm a birder/scientist/naturalist. I photograph birds & other animals to document my experience.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I'm an environmental journalist. I want stories about nature with my pictures.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I do it for fun. I love to be in nature, and this is how I enjoy my time outside.

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • I do it for the money. My wildlife images help me to fund my life (publications, tours, Social, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I take pictures to preserve memories of vacations and adventures.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My #1 hobby is nature photography, both wildlife and landscapes. Travel photography is second. I cannot imagine travelling somewhere away from home without taking my gear. There is always something neat or unique to photograph in foreign places.

I find I need to get a photography fix almost on a weekly basis (yes, I'm probably addicted) and the easiest way to get that fix is to go out and photograph wildlife, and it's so much more rewarding when you find an animal, bird, insect, anything alive, doing something unique or special. So often the lens sees something not possible with the naked eye. And nothing beats just being outside, even if I have to spend time waiting for a good photo opportunity.

While your poll doesn't cover all reasons - It is certainly thought provoking on many levels.

I do it probably for all the reasons you listed - but mainly because it is an addiction. And an expensive one at that :D
Thanks for the reply Winston... My intent was to present something thought provoking. While I enjoy using my equipment, the gear does not excite me. I love being in nature and looking for ways to share what I see in a unique way. Sometimes we get lost in the technology bubble and forget the simple pleasure of just being in the field and seeing the nuance that is ever-present on our planet.

Maybe I'm a bit odd but for me, nature and the love for wildlife triumph over all other reasons I shoot my Nikon, sure I love the hardware (Z9 and 800pf) but this wouldn't be anything if it wasn't for the meditative and relaxing time I get from all the wildlife. I'm a hobbyist!

So as you guessed I'm all in for "I do it for fun. I love to be in nature, and this is how I enjoy my time outside."

Cheers!

Couldn’t have put it better myself 👌

I guess I fall into that "do it for fun category". I just enjoy getting outdoors and trying to capture that "perfect" photo that I'm proud of and pleases those who view my work. It's just a hobby that this retiree loves doing and gets me out of the house.

I do it for pleasure with a special interest in BIF. As a retired glider pilot, vultures and eagles inspire me with their flight technique and tactics in cross-country flight,

• Love
Reactions: DsD
For pleasure.
What motivates me the most is that next shot.
Watching that beautiful, majestic bald eagle take flight, or swoop down for that fish soooo motivating!!!

I really love this response... very similar to my own thoughts..
I shoot when I can, and trash much of what I shoot. I approach a scene with some preconceived vision of what the final image will be.... I often see how it will be processed in my head before I even click the shutter. This entire process is key to the "mindfulness" that I am seeking in nature. So, while I too shoot for the pure joy of being "one" with the moment, the driving force is my fulfillment of some "vision." A goal that I rarely achieve.
The failure to make something meaningful after a shoot never diminishes the experience of "being there," as I find great joy when I sit in the "still" of a moment. However, my photographic motivation now seems intimately linked to an image I am seeking to make.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
bruce
Bruce, I resonate deeply with your approach. It’s fascinating how your vision shapes your experience and process. Even when the final image doesn’t meet expectations, the journey and mindfulness you find are truly rewarding.

Back