Possible to fix broken lens hood for Nikon 500mm PF?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I wiped out on a patch of ice yesterday. My D500, 500mm PF, and I survived the fall, but the lens hood snapped along its length. The HB-84 hood appears to be on backorder everywhere, so I'm wondering whether anyone has experience and tips for repairing hoods or using a third-party replacement.

I had a friend do the same once. I recommended to him a fiberglass wrap around the lens hood to hold it together. It was on a 600mm prime, so it wasn't a small hood. He said he was going to give it a try, but I haven't heard the outcome.

When my 70-200 f/2.8 fell off the counter and bounced on the floor the hood split lengthwise. I was able to do a repair with black duct tape while I waited for the replacement. Didn't look too horrible considering. Glad that hood was on there to absorb the shock. 😬
Duct tape was what I was thinking; hubby is suggesting trying J-B weld glue. And yes! I'm very thankful the hood took one for the team.

If it were mine, I'd use superglue. I'm a hobbyist so I have lots of things to choose from. I think I'd pass on the JB weld, it's more for metal. My second choice would be black duct tape. What ever you use, be sure to keep the broken ends perfectly aligned and be careful to keep any adhesive off the area that attaches to the lens.

I don't have experience with the below product but you may want to check it out as a 3rd party alternative (seems like the medium size one should fit the 500 PF):

Agree glue the crack(s) with superglue or Industrial Epoxy (types - runny white putty). Make sure the cracked surfaces are aligned perfectly, and anchor with adhesive tape overnight, then bind with the stronger duct tape. I have used this epoxy to glue up a cracked the outer housing of my 58 f1.4G, which is polycarbonate. This was glued in late 2018 and it's still going strong.

Try and find Gorilla tape, which is the strongest variety of duct tape I know - the company even makes a camo version

Sorry about your accident, but at least you, lens and camera survived. IME the 500 PF is a fragile lens - compared to the top end exotics. Mine was badly damaged by a short drop (< 1 m) on to lawn grass. This was a few years ago... Long story

If it were mine, I'd use superglue. I'm a hobbyist so I have lots of things to choose from. I think I'd pass on the JB weld, it's more for metal. My second choice would be black duct tape. What ever you use, be sure to keep the broken ends perfectly aligned and be careful to keep any adhesive off the area that attaches to the lens.

Glad you and the camera survived -- eight years ago I fell on ice and landed on my camera, driving the lens into the body. I broke six ribs and went to the ER after coughing up a bit of blood and having to walk a mile and a half, the camera and lens were beyond repair. Be careful out there folks.

• Wow
Reactions: Hut
Before deciding on best adhesive it would be best to know what material Nikon use for the hoods. Some glues actually cause weakness in the base material. I have seen a repair done on a smaller Nikon hood where they used E6000. It seems it can be used on many materials although it not recommended for use on polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene or styrofoam. A small test before beginning is always recommended.

Glad you and the gear are mostly okay. I've had a band of gaffers tape around a cracked lens hood for a year or better. Holds everything tight and is a lot more certain that figuring out glue. If you haven't used Gaff tape it's just nicer duct tape and a lot less gooey.

Super Glue then black duct tape would be a workable temporary fix until a new lens hood becomes available.

One thing I want to urge in the strongest possible terms. Be sure to not have the lens hood attached to the lens when gluing and be sure the glue has completely cured before putting the hood back on the lens. Super Glue is strong stuff and I'm not sure what it would do the the coatings on your lens but I can say it most likely would not be something that would enhance your lens performance. Also, as the glue sets up, it puts off strong fumes that I'm not sure would be good for the coatings on your lens glass.

I would also say to reinforce the glue joint with the duct tape to be sure it holds longer.

Jeff

@Terry, @DougC, and @Palouse: Thanks for your suggestions. I wasn't familiar with gaffers tape, Bondic, or the possibility of a screw-on hood.

@Woody Meristem, I can't imagine having to hike a mile and a half out with six broken ribs. That hurts just to think about. So glad you survived! Also, I love the mission you gave yourself of taking at least one good photo per day. You've amassed a spectacular collection on your blog. I like that your subjects range from the very small to the very large.

@jeffnles1, no worries about my attempting to glue it while attached to the lens. Yikes!!! :)

The good news is that the hood protected the front of the lens. I have had no success with any kind of cement with these plastics. I would get some black gaffer's tape and wrap it around the hood. Or get fancy and buy some camo adhesive tape. B&H sells these plus you can buy a "travel" roll which will be much shorter and smaller (I always take a roll on my trips). The advanatage of gaffers tape is that it is meant to be temporary and not leave adhesive residue when removed. If residue is not a concern then black duct tape will hold up better over time.

B&H has the Nikon HB-48 hood in stock and is selling it for $45.

I wiped out on a patch of ice yesterday. My D500, 500mm PF, and I survived the fall, but the lens hood snapped along its length. The HB-84 hood appears to be on backorder everywhere, so I'm wondering whether anyone has experience and tips for repairing hoods or using a third-party replacement.
As long as it works - tape it up for now...🦘

I don't have experience with the below product but you may want to check it out as a 3rd party alternative (seems like the medium size one should fit the 500 PF):
Works great shooting through a window but for me I find it far to floppy for other uses.

Back