Power banks for camping

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks.

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I'm doing a photography trip on Vancouver Island in a few weeks and I'll be car camping. I need something to charge a MacBook Pro, camera batteries (Nikon) and a smart phone (Samsung).

Any recommendations?
Dont believe the ratings of power banks coming out of china.
A good power bank has a PD USB C rating.
Generally the bigger the bank (physically) the better.
I trust companies like Anker or BlitzWolf ... 🦘

I have power for lights, phones, iPad etc covered by deep cycle battery/solar panels in camper trailer, but USB-C out of that system won’t charge battery via plugging into camera. Looking at the price of the big portable power supplies members are suggesting, perhaps I’d be better inverting in a couple more z8 batteries?

I have power for lights, phones, iPad etc covered by deep cycle battery/solar panels in camper trailer, but USB-C out of that system won’t charge battery via plugging into camera. Looking at the price of the big portable power supplies members are suggesting, perhaps I’d be better inverting in a couple more z8 batteries?
Unfortunately the Z8 isn't a Z9 and uses up battery power like any other mirrorless camera.
USB C PD power banks are cheaper than extra batteries - but they have to be PD.
Having said that I still have about 20 EN-EL15 batteries from other cameras... 🦘

Maybe you could try a small, say 150w, 240v inverter and just use your normal battery charger. They are pretty cheap at JayCar or Super Cheap Auto. Your issue my be the battery. I’ve heard on a couple of YouTube channels that none original brands of batteries will not charge via USB C in the camera. I have no problems with charging ProMaster and Neewer batteries for my Sony A7iv via the camera USB.

Maybe you could try a small, say 150w, 240v inverter and just use your normal battery charger. They are pretty cheap at JayCar or Super Cheap Auto. Your issue my be the battery. I’ve heard on a couple of YouTube channels that none original brands of batteries will not charge via USB C in the camera. I have no problems with charging ProMaster and Neewer batteries for my Sony A7iv via the camera USB.
I’ve got authentic Z8 Nikon batteries. I know little about inverters but could investigate.

Assuming no real weight limit?

iTechworld have a range of Jump Starter packages, some have USB-C ports as well as being a backup for starting your car if needed.
This one has a dedicated USB QC 3.0 port.
Charging for both the jump starter and cameras etc is done through the USB-C port which is bidirectional ie can be both source and sink for power.

This has both wall power and car charging.

This is a USB battery charger.

This one looks like a battery and USB-C charger as a package.

Jaycar inverters - a couple of options that may suit for your wall power charger or the USB ports may charge via a suitable USB to USB-C cable, MI5128 and MI5130, other more higher powered inverters would need to be wired in with a switch and relay to provide the current needed.

Anker power banks and cables cost more but I trust their performance and reliability and safety. Paying an extra $10 for a Anker brand power bank is a small price to pay for that. The Anker 325 sells for $40 and has both USB-C and USB-A ports.

What is also important is that the wall charger provide enough power to charge the power bank. This is also where I rely on the Anker brand chargers which are actually declining in cost to $19 for a 40 Watt dual port charger.

I use the Anker power banks to provide power for my field sound recorder as it provides a more compact power source than a sled with L-series batteries.

I’m all sorted (hopefully) Nikon recommend
Anker
PowerCore III Elite
25600 87W
No of shots: Approx. 5 times that of an EN-EL15c battery alone
No of charges. Approx. 4 .

On page 921 of the Nikon User manual.
Thanks everyone.

I've just got back.

My buddy lent me his Rocksolar Weekender 80w and it charged my D500 battery quickly, and with plenty to spare.

I also bought a Anker Powercore+ 26800 power bank and it charged my phone multiple times, although I used a uGreen cigarette lighter adapter for when I was driving that provided "superfast" charging.

The Anker also charged my MacBook Pro, but only once.

My take was that having one solution is not adequate unless you get something with large capacity, such as the bigger Jackery or Ecoflow options. If I start to do this car camping thing regularly I might consider one.

[...]

I also bought a Anker Powercore+ 26800 power bank and it charged my phone multiple times, although I used a uGreen cigarette lighter adapter for when I was driving that provided "superfast" charging.

You can also charge your Anker with the cig lighter after your phone's charged, so you'll be all tanked up at the next destination (and can again charge things without the motor running).

My take was that having one solution is not adequate unless you get something with large capacity, such as the bigger Jackery or Ecoflow options. If I start to do this car camping thing regularly I might consider one.

Yup, I bring Goal Zero Yeti power stations. I still bring the Anker bank to strap to a tripod (to power the camera when doing landscapes or astro). The Yeti charges things for a long time, but if I'm out more than 2-3 days, I bring over 100w of solar panel.

Chris

Back