Praise for Zemlin Hoods

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm curious as to what you didn't like about the original lens hood. I have not had an issue with any of my Nikon hoods.
I like the original lens hood and I don’t have any problem with using it. The only thing is when I travel , I put the hood in my luggage because of the limited space with my carry on. I am worry to loose it, if I loose my luggage and the replacement for the Nikon z 600 tc cost one thounsand dollars. So for me it is cheaper to replace the Zemlin one which cost much less.

No problem with original hood, except it's a bit long on the end of the lens, so I wanted something shorter. A few years ago, I shot w/ the Canon EF 600 III, and they offered a short hood, which I bought/used. For me, it made a considerable difference in feel/handling, less length to swing around made the setup feel more nimble. That's just me though, might not make any difference to you/anyone else, but you never know until you try ;)

I'm curious as to what you didn't like about the original lens hood. I have not had an issue with any of my Nikon hoods.
For me personally, its larger than necessary. With my 500 PF, I never had to reverse it to fit in the case. Extra time=missed shot. On a windy day, acts as a sail. Those are my two chief reasons I ordered a shorter hood from Karl Zemlin

The first Zemlin hood I got was for my Nikon 500 mm PF. I found the Nikon hood for that lens was at times tricky to get on and off the lens. The Zemlin hood works better on the 500 mm PF for me in my experience and also seems sturdier.

When I got my 800 mm PF lens last fall, I ordered a Zemlin pinch lens cap for it. Much easier to use for me than the pouch lens cover that Nikon provides. Very glad to have it. I then decided to also buy a 2-piece Zemlin hood for the lens. The Nikon hood for the 800 mm PF works better for me than the Nikon hood for the 500 mm PF did. But I like the way Zemlin hoods work — the way they attach and their sturdiness. I also lIke the 2 piece hood — it gives me the option of a smaller hood in circumstances where I might like that (in my kayak, in windy conditions, etc.) The 2-piece hood also collapses to a smaller state for times when I want to pack it in my luggage.

I just got a Zemlin hood for my Nikon Z 100-400 mm lens. It’s longer than the petal hood that Nikon provides. So I think it will do a better job. And again, I like how the Zemlin hoods mount and their sturdiness. Have not shot with it yet.

I see on Zemlins site there’s 3 lengths of hoods for the 100-400, I presume the longer one will vignette at 100mm?
I believe that @zemlin (Karl) makes careful calculations to ensure that none of the lens hoods produce a vignette. If the hood length were to produce a vignette on a particular lens at a particular focal length, he would disclose that.

None of the hoods I offer will vignette. The fact that there is no vignetting on that lens with a 120mm long hood makes me wonder what Nikon was thinking with the short petal-style HB-103 hood. It's totally pointless on that lens.
Thank you Karl, I figured that the petal hood was required. Nice to have your confirmation that it’s not. Can you give me an indication of freight to New Zealand?

Round 2:
Karl - THANK YOU !

My experience with lens cap/hood for 800/6.3 PF was terrific. So, I wanted the same for my old (2012) 600/4. I was wondering if you had something for lenses that old.
I found that not only did you have something for it, it was the same quality and build as the 800. Bravo ! I couldn't be happier.
A happy, and grateful, customer. Twice ! I've recommended you to a number of people.

I see on Zemlins site there’s 3 lengths of hoods for the 100-400, I presume the longer one will vignette at 100mm?
I have the longer Zemlin hood for my Z 100-400. Used it on trips to Alaska and Vancouver Island this month. No issues with vignetting. We had some snow in Alaska and some rain on Vancouver Island. With the longer hood, I had no flakes or drops hit the front of the lens. More protective than the Nikon supplied petal hood. Although longer, it reverses on the lens for transport in my photo backpacks.

I also have Zemlin hoods for my 500 mm PF and Z 800 mm PF. Like them a lot.

I received the Z100-400 mid-length hood from Karl last week, and I’m very impressed. It’s a beautifully engineered and perfectly executed example of ‘garage-manufacturing’. Clearly the work of a fastidious engineer, unlike the Asian mass-produced stuff that fills the global marketplace these days. Congratulations sir, my engineer grandfather will be smiling from the heavens to know that guys like you are still around.

Mine worked great while on safari being bounced around on a land cruiser

20230324 - 092835 - _A016187 - NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f-4 S -¹⁄₁₀₀₀ sec at ƒ - 11 - ISO 360 - ‒ ⅓ E...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Since this thread got bumped up near the front of the forum again (thus, me seeing it, lol), here’s another completely satisfied Zemlin Photo customer. I bought a Z 800PF a couple months ago, and I’m fine with the OEM hood, but the included “lens sock” from Nikon just wasn’t going to cut it for me. I stumbled upon Zemlin products on YouTube, and immediately ordered the cap for the 800PF. I knew that Karl was doing all the work himself, and that it could possibly take a few weeks or so to get the cap, but I must say, it’s well worth every second of the wait, and every penny of the cost. Perfect fit and finish, outstanding product. If I ever need any other accessories for any of my gear, Zemlin Photo will be the first place I look.

@zemlin Karl, I can’t say that I’ve ever been thrilled about a lens cap before, but there’s a first for everything. Five stars, my good man. Thank you for the peace of mind.

I'm minded to buy one for my 600mm PF.
There are 4 options, but which length?
I'm tempted by the smallest (32mm) which I could leave permanently attached.
Anyone care to offer advice about hood length?

I am waiting for my 600 TC. I'll hold off order hood until I get the lens
One thing to thing about is sometimes Karl can get inundated with orders and the turn around time can be a few weeks. I friend recently (about 4-5 weeks ago) had to wait 4 weeks for his his and cap combo. My point is if you're getting the 600 TC for sure and want these when you receive the lens, I'd look to place the order soon so you'll have them once the lens arrives

One thing to thing about is sometimes Karl can get inundated with orders and the turn around time can be a few weeks. I friend recently (about 4-5 weeks ago) had to wait 4 weeks for his his and cap combo. My point is if you're getting the 600 TC for sure and want these when you receive the lens, I'd look to place the order soon so you'll have them once the lens arrives
Thanks. I can be patient.
It's for the 600mm F6.3 PF that I already own.

There are 4 options, but which length?
I'm tempted by the smallest (32mm) which I could leave permanently attached.
Anyone care to offer advice about hood length?
With the quality of coatings on new lenses I suspect lighting conditions need to be pretty crazy for the hood length to be very significant from an IQ standpoint. Weather conditions may be a bigger factor. If you're a fair-weather photographer, the a shorter hood is likely fine. If you go out in rain, mist, and snow, a longer hood will help keep the elements off your front element.

An early customer shoots speed runs on the Bonneville Salt Flats, I designed an as-long-as-possible hood for his 400 f/2.8. The white salt in full sun is pretty wicked lighting. The customer reported improved image contrast and improved AF with the XL hood. Full sun in snow could be similar.

With the quality of coatings on new lenses I suspect lighting conditions need to be pretty crazy for the hood length to be very significant from an IQ standpoint. Weather conditions may be a bigger factor. If you're a fair-weather photographer, the a shorter hood is likely fine. If you go out in rain, mist, and snow, a longer hood will help keep the elements off your front element.

An early customer shoots speed runs on the Bonneville Salt Flats, I designed an as-long-as-possible hood for his 400 f/2.8. The white salt in full sun is pretty wicked lighting. The customer reported improved image contrast and improved AF with the XL hood. Full sun in snow could be similar.
Karl, are you going to make a cap for the Nikon 600mm f6.3? I bought the hood and cap combo for my Nikon 800mm pf and would like the same for my 600mm f6.3. I see you have hoods for the 600mm f6.3 but no cap is shown.

Karl, are you going to make a cap for the Nikon 600mm f6.3? I bought the hood and cap combo for my Nikon 800mm pf and would like the same for my 600mm f6.3. I see you have hoods for the 600mm f6.3 but no cap is shown.
I don't make caps for the smaller lenses that already come with standard pinch caps. I am contemplating a V2 Zemlin cap and one of the things I'd try to address is fitting the smaller lenses. It's a common request. No promises though .... I just have a few ideas rolling around in my noggin. Nothing actually designed yet, so I don't know that it will work out.

Back