Pre-release burst on the Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just love the idea of the pre-release burst as so brilliantly explained by Steve. I have released the shutter after the bird has taken off from the branch before today, no matter how strained/trained my finger is on the shutter release button and no matter how ready I think I am. But yes the jpeg images accumulating on the buffer is very disappointing. My question is though, are the subsequent images once the shutter is fully pressed now going to be RAW or jpeg if the camera is programmed for RAW only in every other instance? Is it only the images on the buffer which are jpeg? At least then it may be worth setting up the pre-release as a backstop, (better than nothing scenario) but from Steve's apparent lack of enthusiasm I'm wondering whether the whole subsequent burst is not also jpeg...

In order to use pre-release mode you have to be in C30, C60, or C90 modes.

C30 is FX or DX JPEG Normal Large
C60 is DX Only JPEG Normal Large
C120 is FX Only JPEG Normal Small

Prior to FW 3.0 if a DX lens was attached in C120 mode the release would change to C30 DX Mode, with FW 2.0 if a DX lens is attached in C120 mode the release is changed to C60 DX mode.

In order to use pre-release mode you have to be in C30, C60, or C90 modes.

C30 is FX or DX JPEG Normal Large
C60 is DX Only JPEG Normal Large
C120 is FX Only JPEG Normal Small

Prior to FW 3.0 if a DX lens was attached in C120 mode the release would change to C30 DX Mode, with FW 2.0 if a DX lens is attached in C120 mode the release is changed to C60 DX mode.
Thanks so much Marty. This explanation is great. I guess I'm going to have to be quicker off the mark then if I want to stick with RAW, as I do.

It is not clear why Nikon shooters are so concerned with .jpg in pre-capture. Pre-capture is for action shots, typically action shots you can't get another way. "Fill-the-frame" is not the way to go in pre-capture as you need to give the bird room to fly. In my view the shot should be based on the action/interaction in the frame and pixel-peeping is secondary.

329643869_586225013016222_5401488589968242985_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back