Pre-Release Capture in Z9 really works

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have long wanted Pre-Release capture. On previous trips to Africa, I have tried numerous times to capture the beautiful lilac breasted roller as it flew off its perch, never getting a good result as the bird is so fast. Here I am today in Botswana and we found a lilac breasted roller. I was at some disadvantage, as I was using a 600mm lens in Dx mode, hand held, and the vehicle had started to move when the bird flew. And lighting was not perfect. Here are the results. Not the sharpest image and I did do some sharpening using Topaz Photo AI.
Z9B_9408.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z9B_9415-Edit.jpg

I have long wanted Pre-Release capture. On previous trips to Africa, I have tried numerous times to capture the beautiful lilac breasted roller as it flew off its perch, never getting a good result as the bird is so fast. Here I am today in Botswana and we found a lilac breasted roller. I was at some disadvantage, as I was using a 600mm lens in Dx mode, hand held, and the vehicle had started to move when the bird flew. And lighting was not perfect. Here are the results. Not the sharpest image and I did do some sharpening using Topaz Photo AI.
View attachment 86336View attachment 86337
EXCELLENT!

Both great shots, but especially the second one. One of my favorite birds.

Both great shots, but especially the second one. One of my favorite birds.
Thank you
The first shot was just before take off and the second shot was only two shots into ta me off at 30 fps. It shows how impossible it would be to react in time to get that flight shot without having precapture

And that is without global shutter @ 120fps 😀. You got the shot!

When Nikon will have global shutter with pre release raw 120fps, The challenges won’t go away. Luck and skill will always be a factor.

For a rig to focus between every shot both the camera and the lens must be capable of it. For example, no PRO Om System lenses are limited to 25 f/s when they focus after every shot.

If the vehicle wasn't moving with the DOF at the distance you were shooting from the 120 f/s non-focus-after-every-shot would have given you more poses to choose from.

But, the pose that you got is great.

Tom

I had a chance to photograph another lilac breasted roller today using Pre-Capture, this time at a closer distance in FX mode, with better lighting on bird and in a stable stationary vehicle. Better focus on the bird using Auto-Area AF with bird detection. At 30 frames per second, focus remained on the bird's eye. I did not need to use Topaz Photo AI on this image.
Z9B_0132.jpg

Great shots!
Your post was very timely as I will be in Botswana the first of May (are you doing your trip with Pangolin?). I would love yo hear how your experience has been if so.

Now I just have to brush up on the pre capture setup and practice using it.
Thanks for posting this

Very nice!!! Those little buggers are QUICK. They somehow know when you have moved your finger off of the shutter button and are out of the frame in an instant. I have a lot of shots with Rollers with no beaks. Well done.

I also tried out Pre-release while in Kenya and was very pleased with some roller takeoffs. I used Bird subject detection and wide small and handed off to 3D for the action. While I got great shots I did notice checking with Nikon NX Studio that it looked like the 3D often didn’t track. After seeing Steve’s video on BIF settings, I’m thinking maybe handing off to Auto-AF would maybe have been even better. Is 3D just too slow or does the pre-release negate the tracking modes? I seem to remember reading something about that but can’t fine it again.

I have tried Pre-capture a few times, and it is great for the increased number of take-off positions you can get, but so far I have found that unless the bird is flying parallel to the lens keeping the same focal length, it has been hard to keep focus sharp (hand held) for more than the first few frames. But I often didn't have time to hand over to Auto-AF, so now that I have cycle AF area for quicker access on a function button, I will try again . Would agree that 3D may not be as good for tracking.

I have tried Pre-capture a few times, and it is great for the increased number of take-off positions you can get, but so far I have found that unless the bird is flying parallel to the lens keeping the same focal length, it has been hard to keep focus sharp (hand held) for more than the first few frames. But I often didn't have time to hand over to Auto-AF, so now that I have cycle AF area for quicker access on a function button, I will try again . Would agree that 3D may not be as good for tracking.
I had great success starting off with AutoAF and bird detection, No handoff to another AF mode

Great shots!
Your post was very timely as I will be in Botswana the first of May (are you doing your trip with Pangolin?). I would love yo hear how your experience has been if so.

Now I just have to brush up on the pre capture setup and practice using it.
Thanks for posting this
I was with Pangolin for the first week on the Chobe river, 3 days on the houseboat and 4 days in Pangolin hotel. Extremely pleased with experience and guide. On the river lots of great birds close up and of course elephants baboons hippos etc
Then Pangolin sent us to Okavango Delta and the the Kalahari. All great
The lilac breasted roller shots were from a vehicle in Okavango Delta

Back