problem with setting 2 buttons with different Recall Shooting Functions (hold)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jpawlan

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Dear Steve and Z9 owners,
My normal Z9 settings are: AFC, BBAF, subject detection ON (bird), wide area AF C1 set to the small 1x1 box.

I programmed one button with a Recall shooting function (hold) to only toggle Subject Detection on and off. It works.

I then programmed a different button with a Recall shooting function (hold) to create Steve's RSF use #3: Emergency Action Button which would set everything needed for a very high shutter speed wide large area for a BIF. That too works by itself.
However, here is the critical problem I found. Even though these are two different buttons on the camera, this setting choice Recall shooting function (hold) seems to only be allowed to be used with one group of settings. After I programmed the second button with the Emergency Action settings, I then tried to use my first button programmed with the toggling Subject Detection. I found to my complete dismay that it had been reprogrammed with the Emergency Action settings.
I tried everything to make certain that I had disabled the Emergency Action Settings before pressing the first button to turn off subject detection. I had not made any error. I tried reprogramming and always the the second set of settings would be transferred to the first button with RSF.

I want Steve and others to confirm that setting a second button with Recall shooting function (hold) will always overwrite the first button with RSF settings. This is most unfortunate that it seems to only be allowed to be assigned to one button else it copies its settings to the other button with RSF.

Do any of you have a alternate solution so one button can accomplish toggling subject detection on and off and a second button can toggle the camera settings to Steve's Emergency Action Button which would set everything needed for a very high shutter speed wide large area for a BIF? That also needs to also be a toggle function.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Pawlan
San Jose, CA

You can only program one RSF, you could assign that function to multiple buttons but Nikon doesn’t currently allow you to program more than one RSF per bank.

One approach is to assign an AF Area mode like Single Point or a Dynamic mode to one of your function buttons. When you hit that, Subject Detection will be disabled as those modes don’t support subject detection. When you release that function button you’ll go back to your main AF Area mode which presumably is one that does support SD. That frees up your RSF for your desired use.

FWIW, with the latest Z8 and Z9 firmware I rarely need to disable subject detection but if I want to, I switch to Single Point AF on my F2 button.

You can only program 1 RSF per shooting bank. You can duplicate Bank A to Bank B and then make a different RSF setting in Bank B, but that is a bit clunky unless you will not need 2 RSF on the fly.

Back