Pros & Cons of using Lightroom to convert to DNG:

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When importing images from your camera into Lightroom, which file format do you most commonly use?

• Other format (Please specify: ____________)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gnpToday

Greg Speasl, West Glacier, MT
Supporting Member
Marketplace
For years I have converted my camera RAW files to DNG upon import into Lightroom. Mistakenly I copied them on import and was curious to see what info NX Studio would provide as far as where I was focused when the image was taken. I have not played with the program much yet, but it definitely has my curiosity piqued. Just wondering what most of you do with your images upon import?

Pros of using Lightroom to convert to DNG:
  1. Raw Compatibility: DNG is a standardized raw file format that is widely supported by image editing software, including Lightroom. By converting your files to DNG, you ensure compatibility and the ability to access and edit your images in the future.
  2. Lossless Compression: DNG files can be compressed to save storage space without losing any image quality. This can be beneficial if you have limited storage capacity and want to reduce file sizes without sacrificing image detail.
  3. Metadata and Editing Flexibility: DNG files can retain comprehensive metadata, such as camera and lens information, copyright details, and keywords. Moreover, Lightroom allows you to make non-destructive edits to DNG files, preserving the original image data and allowing for easy adjustment afterwards.
  4. Error Correction: DNG files have a built-in error correction feature called "Checksums" that can help detect and repair data corruption, ensuring the integrity of your image files. This feature can be beneficial in preventing data loss or file corruption.
Cons of using Lightroom to convert to DNG:
  1. Increased File Size: Although DNG allows for lossless compression, it can sometimes result in larger file sizes compared to other raw formats. This can be a concern if you have limited storage space or if you frequently work with a large number of images.
  2. Longer Conversion Time: Converting RAW files to DNG can be time-consuming, especially if you have a large image library. This can be a drawback if you need to quickly import and edit your images.
  3. Limited Software Support: Although DNG is a widely supported format, there might still be some image editing software or camera models that have limited compatibility with DNG files. Ensure that your desired software and devices support DNG before converting all your files.
  4. Loss of Proprietary Information: When converting to DNG, some camera-specific proprietary information, such as certain advanced settings or unique features, may not be fully preserved.

Last edited:
FWIW, I played with DNG conversions many years ago when the standard became available and the concerns about raw file support were raised. I quickly abandoned it as I was ending up with thousands of bloated files taking up excessive storage space.

All these years later I still find my earliest raw files (e.g. Nikon D1H files) still fully supported and I'm not that concerned about the long term raw file support issue. Also as my libraries have grown I'm really glad I didn't take up more disk space for each and every image in my library.

When I do want to save full resolution images in a less proprietary format I generally go with TIFFs using lossless LZW compression but that's only for images I've decided to process and not my entire library.

FWIW, I played with DNG conversions many years ago when the standard became available and the concerns about raw file support were raised. I quickly abandoned it as I was ending up with thousands of bloated files taking up excessive storage space.

All these years later I still find my earliest raw files (e.g. Nikon D1H files) still fully supported and I'm not that concerned about the long term raw file support issue. Also as my libraries have grown I'm really glad I didn't take up more disk space for each and every image in my library.

When I do want to save full resolution images in a less proprietary format I generally go with TIFFs using lossless LZW compression but that's only for images I've decided to process and not my entire library.
Interesting, years ago when I tested file sizes I thought there was very little bloat. At that time, I thought the negatives outweighed the benefits. I am not so sure anymore!

I think that you have summarized many of the key points of converting or not. There are a few additional ones, like updating a DNG file vs. an XMP file when backing up, but after 15+ years give or take, it is a Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi choice on converting or not. If people think things through and come to a decision that works for their workflow, then the choice is made. For the record, I used to convert all of my raw files to DNG and back both files up before importing into LRC, but I have now gone to just importing my raw files. I rarely run any integrity tests for things like bit rot, and am willing to take that chance with at least three copies of every file.

--Ken

Looks like the majority of people are only importing raw files from their camera. Are you also creating XMP side car files?

When I first started using LR I found XMP files irritating, and started converting to DNG. I expect it was due to the OCD tendency I have with computer storage. I quickly learned it made much more sense to learn to deal with them. Now I always create them and hardly notice them. The more I learned about DNG files and what they were, the less I saw a reason to convert to them on import.

I save the raw and have Lightroom write the xmp automatically. The xmp is unnecessary if you backup the catalog, which I do of course. Some folks wait to write the xmp for when they archive a folder. It's all belt and suspenders. My main working file is the layered Photoshop tiff with the first layer being the smart object from Photoshop, so even if I lost Lightroom I'd still be able to edit the raw.

DNG strips out Nikon specific data from the NEF file and no real pros to going to DNG format for files. The original intent of the people at Adobe was to get all the digital camera manufacturers to adopt this Adobe file format so that the Adobe engineers would not need to reverse engineer the Raw data file from each new camera. As it has turned out very few camera manufacturers have adopted DNG file output for their cameras.

Having to keep the parent file and the xmp sidecar file together when doing archiving and backups is not trivial and so I avoid taking this approach. My final file saves are as a TIFF format file.

DNG strips out Nikon specific data from the NEF file and no real pros to going to DNG format for files. The original intent of the people at Adobe was to get all the digital camera manufacturers to adopt this Adobe file format so that the Adobe engineers would not need to reverse engineer the Raw data file from each new camera. As it has turned out very few camera manufacturers have adopted DNG file output for their cameras.

Having to keep the parent file and the xmp sidecar file together when doing archiving and backups is not trivial and so I avoid taking this approach. My final file saves are as a TIFF format file.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. Most of what you have stated above is the conclusion that I am slowly coming to. It is just a bummer that there's no going back for me for tens of thousands of files that have already been converted to DNG but going forward, I think your approach is what I will adopt.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. Most of what you have stated above is the conclusion that I am slowly coming to. It is just a bummer that there's no going back for me for tens of thousands of files that have already been converted to DNG but going forward, I think your approach is what I will adopt.
You still have all the advantages of a raw file in terms of latitude for adjustment, so not that much lost.

Back