Purchasing a Z8 Poll

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What will you be doing?

• I have already placed my Z8 pre-order

Votes: 63 39.9%
  • I will buy a Z8 once the price drops a little

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • I am still on the fence

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I will not be buying a Z8

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • I have a Z9 so no need for a Z8

Votes: 39 24.7%

• Total voters
No interest in a Z8. I have a Z9 and like a larger, heavier gripped body. All my dslrs and the Z9 use the same battery. From what I can tell so far, the Z8 is a smaller Z9 with some missing stuff (that I don't use anyway). I doubt Nikon would put a better AF system in their enthusiast camera than their pro model but we'll wait and see once the Z8 gets into the wild.

No interest in a Z8 at all. I have the Z9 and the key differences of weaker battery, 2nd slot being SD card and not being able to record like half the video resolutions and frame rates to the SD, forcing you to record those Anna still on the CFE card and adding a grip making it larger than the Z9 at just roughly $1000 less means i would just buy another Z9 before buying a Z8.

If it was $3000 without a grip, maybe, even probably, though only as a second body to my Z9

No interest in a Z8. I have a Z9 and like a larger, heavier gripped body. All my dslrs and the Z9 use the same battery. From what I can tell so far, the Z8 is a smaller Z9 with some missing stuff (that I don't use anyway). I doubt Nikon would put a better AF system in their enthusiast camera than their pro model but we'll wait and see once the Z8 gets into the wild.
Same hardware. If the AF was better then the Z9, they'd push a FW update to the Z9 without question

I'll click the box for .... I have the Z9 and love it but the Z8 is the Camera I have ordered... Why, for the shorter day hikes where I want the Z9 Focusing / Frame Rate / lighter weight attributes that the Z8 offers. I won't consider the Z8 as a Backup Camera to the Z9 but rather the Camera for a specific purpose for my Photography. Several times a year I photograph Bald Eagles and I place the Z9 / 800 Combo on a Tripod with a D850 on a Sling. The D850 will be replaced now with the Z8.

I'll click the box for .... I have the Z9 and love it but the Z8 is the Camera I have ordered... Why, for the shorter day hikes where I want the Z9 Focusing / Frame Rate / lighter weight attributes that the Z8 offers. I won't consider the Z8 as a Backup Camera to the Z9 but rather the Camera for a specific purpose for my Photography. Several times a year I photograph Bald Eagles and I place the Z9 / 800 Combo on a Tripod with a D850 on a Sling. The D850 will be replaced now with the Z8.
I clicked the “I pre-ordered” box but my story is similar to yours. I have two Z9s and will keep both because I have an underwater housing for them and need redundancy when I travel. But I’ll likely carry one Z9 and the Z8 when photographing wildlife. The reduced weight of the Z8 will be helpful when hiking or when flying on float planes or bush planes with limited weight allowances.

I placed my order for a Z8 ten minutes after B&H made them available on May 10. I am upgrading from my old D610. Looking forward to the new tech. I rented the Z9 a year ago and it was amazing. The Z8 will be perfect ( plus a little overkill) for my hobbies of landscape and wildlife photography.

I agree with a fair number of Z9 owners on the battery, CFExpr factors....It's unfortunate Nikon is not offering a service upgrade to replace the SD with an extra CFExpress read slot in the Z8. Perhaps Nikon might offer this to stimulate more camera sales. An updated grip taking the ENEL18d would have the same effect.
As mentioned, I'm watching the prices of orphaned Z9's. However, a future Z8 Special might change my mind for a backup MILC (!)
I voted no only because I have a z9, and if I got a second body I'd probably end up with another one to keep batteries/etc the same across both cameras

No interest in a Z8 at all. I have the Z9 and the key differences of weaker battery, 2nd slot being SD card and not being able to record like half the video resolutions and frame rates to the SD, forcing you to record those Anna still on the CFE card and adding a grip making it larger than the Z9 at just roughly $1000 less means i would just buy another Z9 before buying a Z8.

If it was $3000 without a grip, maybe, even probably, though only as a second body to my Z9

I agree with all comments made here. For those having a Z9, the reduced battery capacity and slower (limiting) SD card are genuine concerns.

But for D850 users (like me) who still use SD cards (having so many of them), and not minding the lower battery capacity for the advantage of a smaller and lighter body, the Z8 is a great option. I’m very surprised it shares so much with its bigger Z9 brother.

I will wait a year or Black Friday Sales to buy the camera (Budget 4000€ / price now is at 4500€).

For those who bought it, hopefully the wait isn’t long. For those with a Z9, hopefully the SW update will come quickly!

Happy Sunday!

I agree with a fair number of Z9 owners on the battery, CFExpr factors....It's unfortunate Nikon is not offering a service upgrade to replace the SD with an extra CFExpress read slot in the Z8. Perhaps Nikon might offer this to stimulate more camera sales. An updated grip taking the ENEL18d would have the same effect.
As mentioned, I'm watching the prices of orphaned Z9's. However, a future Z8 Special might change my mind for a backup MILC (!)
I’ve never over flowed a 1 TB card in the first slot of my Z9, even shooting 7500 images in one day. I will leave the SD card slot empty.

Back