Purchasing a Z8 Poll

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What will you be doing?

• I have already placed my Z8 pre-order

Votes: 63 39.9%
  • I will buy a Z8 once the price drops a little

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • I am still on the fence

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I will not be buying a Z8

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • I have a Z9 so no need for a Z8

Votes: 39 24.7%

• Total voters
I agree with all comments made here. For those having a Z9, the reduced battery capacity and slower (limiting) SD card are genuine concerns.

But for D850 users (like me) who still use SD cards (having so many of them), and not minding the lower battery capacity for the advantage of a smaller and lighter body, the Z8 is a great option. I’m very surprised it shares so much with its bigger Z9 brother.

I will wait a year or Black Friday Sales to buy the camera (Budget 4000€ / price now is at 4500€).

For those who bought it, hopefully the wait isn’t long. For those with a Z9, hopefully the SW update will come quickly!

Happy Sunday!
SW update for the Z9? There isn't anything the Z8 can do that the Z9 can't. The only thing different SW wise is the added a separate airplane subject trashing option which is silly at the vehicle tracking did airplanes without issue.

How about an option for "I wish I could buy one but can't afford it"? Because that is where I am.
That would fall under “ I will not be buying a Z8”.. the reason for this decision may vary so much, that’s why it’s excluded.

The current price is also beyond my budget.. but with time it will drop and there will be sales every now and then.. maybe till then they will release a D500 replacement.. at even a cheaper price.. then I will buy at preorder time.. cause that is really the camera I’m waiting for.

How about an option for "I'm sticking with my DSLR system"
That would fall under “ I will not be buying a Z8”.. the reason for this decision may vary so much, that’s why it’s excluded.

I will actually continue to use my D850.. even after buying the Z8.. for when I want to use native F glass

SW update for the Z9? There isn't anything the Z8 can do that the Z9 can't. The only thing different SW wise is the added a separate airplane subject trashing option which is silly at the vehicle tracking did airplanes without issue.
From what I heard, it has low light focusing (red mode) for shooting stars, as well as skin softening (which I don’t think is in the Z9 at the moment).. not to mention the “picking up face even when far away and quite small”..

Having last month bought another camera (no name mentioned here but blame Andy Miller 😂😂) , I mentioned my Z6 is getting on over 4 yrs, and my gorgeous beautiful wife says, why don’t you get the Z8. Order is in! 🥰
Thanks 👑???

Out of interest was it a Nikon ???

Or possibly another even more famous brand (well in space flight in the 1960s) that I am annoyed with currently -- luv the sensor but bunch of 🐩🐩🐩 for responsiveness -- I just hope they are busy with something SPECIAL.

I've got my NPS order in and should have it right after release.

Now the question is which camera to sell. I'm leaning toward selling the Z7ii and keeping the Z6. Kind of an odd decision, but my thought is the Z7ii is never going to have an advantage over the Z8, so it's always a backup camera. Selling the Z7ii brings more money than selling the Z6. And the Z6 actually has some situations where it can be the primary camera - webcam, video, small/light kit, events, personal travel, and when output is intended for social media. I've already sold all of my DSLR cameras, and my wife has no interest in giving up her Z50 right now.

Now the question is which camera to sell. I'm leaning toward selling the Z7ii and keeping the Z6. Kind of an odd decision, but my thought is the Z7ii is never going to have an advantage over the Z8, so it's always a backup camera. Selling the Z7ii brings more money than selling the Z6. And the Z6 actually has some situations where it can be the primary camera - webcam, video, small/light kit, events, personal travel, and when output is intended for social media. I've already sold all of my DSLR cameras, and my wife has no interest in giving up her Z50 right now.
seems like a reasonable way to go. i toyed with the idea of keeping my z6ii, but i think i'm going to sell it. i think i'm just done with the old af system, even if i do like the size and resolution of the z6ii. maybe i'll pick up a small format body in the future if they offer something similar to the z6ii with the updated af.

we are facing similar question. I have a Z 7ii as backup and my wife only shots Z 6ii (Z 9 is too big for her). If she opts for the Z 8, then what do I sell? Thinking of converting Z 6 to IR, keeping a Z 6 for remote camera on the ground work, sell Z 6 and keep the Z 7 as a small walk around camera (just in case)

Love my Z 9, preordered the Z 8 cause I shoot with two cameras a lot for events and wanted a camera with the same AF modes, right now using the Z 7II as the second camera but that will be used for macro and landscapes from now on. Would have liked two CFExpress cards in the Z 8 but since I use the 2nd slot as Overflow I can live with the SD card

Yeah…I'm contemplating selling my Z7II as well…it's either that or keep it as a walk around body…so it will come down to an in the hands calculation and decide what to do…I don't really need the money back although it's certainly nice to have…but OTOH if the Z8 works fine as a walk around body which I think it likely will then the Z7II just won't get used so I might as well get the money and spend it on something I will use…gimbal head maybe or another lens or whatever seems worthy.

I don't know if this is a good sign or an error on the vendors part but my CC got charged this week with the amount owing on my Z8 purchase. Maybe I'll see my new camera before summer?

Last year, same vendor, my Z9 order amount sat in the CC pending column for months as they didnt not charge anything till the order was completed.

Pre-ordered the Z8. Currently shooting a D7500 and Z6ii, so this will be a big step upward. Have been frustrated with the AF of the Z6ii with BIF and moving objects, although suspect most of the problem is in the 8" behind the viewfinder rather than with the camera. Like others, disappointed that the 200 (180?) - 600 mm didn't appear. Really would like to see a high quality long zoom come from Nikon, although considering a competitor with convertor.

Pre-ordered the Z8. Currently shooting a D7500 and Z6ii, so this will be a big step upward. Have been frustrated with the AF of the Z6ii with BIF and moving objects, although suspect most of the problem is in the 8" behind the viewfinder rather than with the camera. Like others, disappointed that the 200 (180?) - 600 mm didn't appear. Really would like to see a high quality long zoom come from Nikon, although considering a competitor with convertor.
Having a Z7II and then adding a Z9…I can tell you that at least for me it wasn't all the behind the viewfinder that was the problem. Sure…there's still a lot of that going on but the AF speed and accuracy and hunting on the Z7II at least was definitely a big part of the problem for me…still birds and wildlife were fine and I could get a couple of frames in focus at launch off the perch but the slower FPS and AF speed combined with the viewfinder blackout to make panning hard put me into the 'most of the frames were out of focus or clipped wings. The Z9…which is expected since it's more expensive, newer, better, and all that…latches on and stays latched on much better. I still have the clipped wings issues a lot albeit it not as much as with the blackout…but if the bird is in the frame the AF grabs pretty good. I stayed with the D7500 when the Z6 and Z7 were introduced and switched to the Z7II since I thought the dual processors would really improve AF a lot…but although there was some it was still not very good for action. Still creatures and landscapes and waterfalls all fine…but action wasn't so good. So I got the Z9…but when I did I knew it wasn't really what I wanted, the Z8 is that body. I'll keep both the Z8 and Z9 for now and if the Z8 becomes the walking around body over the slightly lighter (8 ounces) Z7II then it will go as well because I don't need 3 bodies.

Initially, I was not that keen on getting the Z8 as I have a Z9 and a Z7II for my lightweight backup and travel duties. If I were to get a Z8 it would only be at a later date when and if I needed an adjunct to my Z9 or when I travelled where AF tracking was required. In other words, a Z8 was not a high priority. However, I was lucky enough to meet up with a Nikon rep and he had the Z8 for a few of us to handle. Wow, it feels great in the hand and is not that big or heavy as I had imagined, when compared to my Z7II. With the SmallRig plate on the Z7II, it is basically the same size as the Z8. Add the 115gms of the SmallRig to the weight of the Z7II and we have 820gms, only 90gms lighter than the Z8. Of course, I can always take the SmallRig off the Z7II to have a very small and light camera, which is an advantage, but mosly it is on and if I were travelling or doing a long hike, the Z7II would go sans SmallRig. However, after trying it out, I will be getting the Z8 sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Thinking of keeping the Z6 for low light but will test the Z8 when I get it (Thu or Fri? from Grays) to compare low light performance.

Anyone planning on the Z8 + 24-120 S bundle? I plan to place an order eventually after we get settled from a move. Currently using a D750 with nice G lenses and 500 PF. Very happy with my current setup but excited to add some new technology for fun and more keepers. Will likely add the 100-400 S lens as well. Voted ”on the fence” since that was the closest option. Price seems fair. Will keep my current camera and lenses. 👍🏻

Anyone planning on the Z8 + 24-120 S bundle? I plan to place an order eventually after we get settled from a move. Currently using a D750 with nice G lenses and 500 PF. Very happy with my current setup but excited to add some new technology for fun and more keepers. Will likely add the 100-400 S lens as well. Voted ”on the fence” since that was the closest option. Price seems fair. Will keep my current camera and lenses. 👍🏻
If I did not have a 24-120 already, I would be very tempted. 24-120 is a great lens

I would only go for a bundle if it has a financial advantage. Otherwise i rather get it separately and get the original lens black package (rather than the white box you get when bought as bundle) to facilitate selling the lens, should you decide to do so.

Back