Question about lenscoat for nikon 400mm 2.8 TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Amy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For those of you with the Nikon 400mm TC how did you install the lenscaot so you can easily access the TC? Seems like a design flaw but wondering if I am just not installing it properly?

Thanks for any help!

For those of you with the Nikon 400mm TC how did you install the lenscaot so you can easily access the TC? Seems like a design flaw but wondering if I am just not installing it properly?

Thanks for any help!
I don’t have the 400TC, I have the 600TC, but they’re essentially the same. And yes, you can’t really put the lenscoat section that goes over the TC. I also found that I couldn’t install several others for a different reason. With the focus ring next to the lens collar, when you rotate the lens in the collar, the lenscoat has a tendency to rub and turn the focus ring which switches it into manual focus mode (unless you disable the focus ring). So I removed the lenscoat over the focus ring. But then yesterday, I again found that when I rotated the lens, the focus ring was nudged just enough to switch to manual (it feels like it’s *way* too sensitive about switching into manual mode …). I missed some shots as a result. I fiddled with it more, trying to move the lenscoat section that goes over the collar section, but could never get it to the point where it wouldn’t sometimes nudge the focus ring, so I finally just took that section off too.

And then I decided that it was too tricky to figure out where the two control rings were in the heat of the moment, so I removed those too. I practically only have the section for the end of the lens and the one for the lens hood still remaining. The lenscoat has been a lot more problematic on this lens than my 600f4E or my 800f5.6E. There’s another thread active right now about other options.

Thanks so much- I will look for that other thread. Bummer you have had so many problems. I used it on my 500PF for years with no issues, but not quite as complex of a lens.

Thanks for any help!
I have the 400mm TC and a lenscoat. Like Nautiboy, after some field experience, I had some challenges with some of the rings. Mine weren't the focus ring, but the function and control rings, so I took those piece off, which I didn't think made that much difference in terms of protection or visibility (mine is digital camo). But early on in using it, I decided to take an X-acto knife and slice out the clear plastic that covered the TC lever. I think having the rest of that section covered is good for wear/tear and the TC lever usually has my hand over it anyway.

I have the 400mm TC and a lenscoat. Like Nautiboy, after some field experience, I had some challenges with some of the rings. Mine weren't the focus ring, but the function and control rings, so I took those piece off, which I didn't think made that much difference in terms of protection or visibility (mine is digital camo). But early on in using it, I decided to take an X-acto knife and slice out the clear plastic that covered the TC lever. I think having the rest of that section covered is good for wear/tear and the TC lever usually has my hand over it anyway.
I thinkI will start with this. Thanks

I used the version from outdoorphotographygear in the UK.

The problem with the Z 400 TC is that there are just too many rings / moving parts for a neoprene lens coat to work if you ask me.
As for the TC area, I found that the coat interfered with my ability to quickly switch.

In the end I removed it and replaced it with a vinyl cover.

Back