Question to DXO pure-raw users

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pure raw accepts only Raw files as input which means one has to always start with NR and then import a TIFF file into the post processing software like Capture one etc. Problem I face with this workflow is that I find the adjustments like Curves, Levels, HSL work differently on a TIFF vs a default Raw file like NEF. I feel like there is better control over colors and tones with an NEF file vs TIFF.

Let’s Say I use the same image and first import the NEF raw file directly into C1 and make some basic adjustments to curves, levels and HSL vs use a TIFF version of the same file that I ran through the NR software like DXO pureraw, making identical adjustments to the TIFF file as I did with the NEF file doesn’t yield the same results. It appears to me the RAW file offers better flexibility, finer controls over tones and colors. Is anyone else noticing this?

Pure raw accepts only Raw files as input which means one has to always start with NR and then import a TIFF file into the post processing software like Capture one etc. Problem I face with this workflow is that I find the adjustments like Curves, Levels, HSL work differently on a TIFF vs a default Raw file like NEF. I feel like there is better control over colors and tones with an NEF file vs TIFF.

Let’s Say I use the same image and first import the NEF raw file directly into C1 and make some basic adjustments to curves, levels and HSL vs use a TIFF version of the same file that I ran through the NR software like DXO pureraw, making identical adjustments to the TIFF file as I did with the NEF file doesn’t yield the same results. It appears to me the RAW file offers better flexibility, finer controls over tones and colors. Is anyone else noticing this?
Pure raw will create a DNG not a tiff. It will remain a DNG providing it's not taken into photoshop or some other editor that changes it to a tiff. The DNG has all the flexibility of the raw but is larger in size. I personally like doing all tonal adjustments as well as back/white point before ever switching to a tiff.

If you wanted to do more of the adjustments at the raw level, assuming your program doesn't read dng, you could use photolab. You get every adjustment you would find in lightroom, capture 1 etc. The resulting tiff, if you choose tiff as the output would then bake in your raw adjustments.

Pure raw will create a DNG not a tiff. It will remain a DNG providing it's not taken into photoshop or some other editor that changes it to a tiff. The DNG has all the flexibility of the raw but is larger in size. I personally like doing all tonal adjustments as well as back/white point before ever switching to a tiff.
I think when I tested the DXO initially, I did try the DNG option as well and the results were not very different. May be I must test it once more.

If you wanted to do more of the adjustments at the raw level, assuming your program doesn't read dng, you could use photolab, you get every adjustment you would find in lightroom, capture 1 etc. The resulting tiff, if you choose tiff as the output would then bake in your adjustments.
I know..I made a mistake at the time of purchase and bought pureraw instead of photolab..only later did I realize photolab offers finer controls with NR/Sharpening. My personal preference is Capture One Pro as I love the color profiles it offers on Nikon files, particularly the Pro Standard profile so I will have to figure a better workflow option if there is any to get the best out of both the softwares.

I know in lightroom a dng from either DXO program would still give you the ability to change profiles. I assume C1 does but don't know.

I run the RAW through DXO and then bring the DNG file into Apple Photos to make adjustments. it responds just like a RAW file.

Supposedly the demosaicing feature allows for further manipulation with colors and such if I understand it correctly as well as more true to life regarding colors.
Sounds like a super RAW file type. I thought was 100% of the information ...

Sounds like a super RAW file type. I thought was 100% of the information ...
There's an article on the dxo site regarding the demosaic feature that goes into depth about it but not exactly just how much it comes into play in normal circumstances.

Supposedly the demosaicing feature allows for further manipulation with colors and such if I understand it correctly as well as more true to life regarding colors.

In photolab using the XD you can dial in the "noise model" as well as an amount slider. For lens correction you can dial in amount. If you take the tiff, you can run their profile or add your own, or run a colorchecker passport or similar to make a profile.

In photolab using the XD you can dial in the "noise model" as well as an amount slider. For lens correction you can dial in amount. If you take the tiff, you can run their profile or add your own, or run a colorchecker passport or similar to make a profile.
I do occasionally use PL6 and really like the functionality. It’s a well thought out program.

I find I use both too. Dxo for initial demosaicing and topaz for creative and final. Nice thing in photoshop is the opacity slider to dial in less, and occasionally varying blend modes.

Back