Questions for Owners of Z 400 f2.8 TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Trust me when I say this... having owned the 400TC for over 2 years don't just get the Zemlin cap, but also get one of Karl's shorter hood's as well. They blow away the OEM hood and saves a lot of space in your bag to boot. I use a Wimberley foot as I found it to be more efficient then adding an arca swiss plate. Congrats on getting that amazing lens.
Welcome to the Z400 club Gordon! A$6K off is a great find well done, .....just bite the bullet on the FL and sell it now, it will sadly not be appreciating in value. I do know your predicament. ;)

For me the shorter Zemlin hood has been a real bonus, (YES agree, they aren't cheap!) and sitting in the front in a safari vehicle makes for that little bit extra room and maneuverability, and found no issues with lens flare, the only slight problem is when it's teeming down, rain drops can get on the front glass and will switch back to my standard hood in the wet season.
I use the Zemlin lens cap and the eye piece as well, got sick of losing the standard rubber lens ring on the Z9. This one is rock solid. I have the Kirk foot as well.
I remember speaking with you over @ DPReview when you had just bought the FL and I was still waiting for my Z version. ;)
I've owned many Nikkor primes in my 40 yrs of shooting wildlife and this baby is THE best prime lens I've ever owned. (y)

Z400TC.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Trust me when I say this... having owned the 400TC for over 2 years don't just get the Zemlin cap, but also get one of Karl's shorter hood's as well. They blow away the OEM hood and saves a lot of space in your bag to boot. I use a Wimberley foot as I found it to be more efficient then adding an arca swiss plate. Congrats on getting that amazing lens.
Is this the hood your talking about?

Welcome to the Z400 club Gordon! A$6K off is a great find well done, .....just bite the bullet on the FL and sell it now, it will sadly not be appreciating in value. I do know your predicament. ;)

For me the shorter Zemlin hood has been a real bonus, (YES agree, they aren't cheap!) and sitting in the front in a safari vehicle makes for that little bit extra room and maneuverability, and found no issues with lens flare, the only slight problem is when it's teeming down, rain drops can get on you glass front and will switch back to my standard hood in the wet season.
I use the Zemlin lens cap and the eye piece as well, got sick of losing the standard rubber lens ring on the Z9. This one is rock solid. I have the Kirk foot as well.
I remember speaking with you over @ DPReview when you had just bought the FL and I was still waiting for my Z version. ;)
I've owned many Nikkor primes in my 40 yrs of shooting wildlife and this baby is THE best prime lens I've ever owned. (y)
Hi Marc, great to hear from you. I got the Wimberley foot from you for the 400 FL, and have the same foot on order for the Z 400.
Yes the lens is amazing, so light and easy to use handheld. The image quality is the best I've seen since possibly the F mount 300 f2.8.
Glad you are getting plenty of use from yours on safari, your images are brilliant!

Back