Quick Advice Request - Used D500 or New D7500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Craig Yuill

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have decided that a recent Nikon DX DSLR is the best type of camera for me at this moment for bird photography. I think I am ready to make a purchase. For those who have experience with either would you get a used D500 or a new D7500? I have used the latter, and thought it was good. A number of people have recommended the D500 as the better camera, but have never used one. If it was your money, which one would you get right now?

I would get a used D500 if it was in good condition rather than a new D7500. I own a D500 and a good friend has a D7500 so I'm a bit familiar with the latter. The D7500, while a good camera with the same sensor as the D500, has a lower maximum frame rate and it's AF system is not as good.
cheers,
Alex

Thank you for the responses so far.
The used D500 will be an online sale. It is rated as an 8+ by a respected retailer. The rating indicates minor cosmetic wear.

I only once ever bought a used item online (from KEH), and it turned out to be in near new shape. But I usually only buy items that I can personally handle. This will be one of the few times I will not, should I actually purchase it.

I had the D7500 before I went Mirrorless with the z6. Generalist, landscape, portrait, streets, animals, birds … the D7500 is pretty good. There’s no question that it’s big brother, the D500 is superior, and especially if you’re shooting action….sports, cars, BIF.

My opinion, no matter the subject, the D500 is totally king. Fantastic camera, fast and almost unending buffer (you will not reach the bottom). Dual slots for fast cards. The pro round eyepiece looking into a large viewfinder. Rugged build, such a super camera.

I own both of those. I think they’re both great cameras. BIF the D500 is a bit better but I’m just as happy with the D7500 for most everything. I have gotten good photos from both. Either way I would buy new personally but I am selling both of ours used since we have switched to another brands mirrorless line.
I would buy a new D500, if one was available here in Canada. Stock of new copies of this camera dried up last Summer. In retrospect, I should have bought one when a local retailer had a few in stock about a month before that. If I want a new body right now, it will have to be the D7500.

Reactions: Hut
Thank you all for your thoughts. I went ahead and ordered the gently-used D500. I assume that I will receive it late next week. I currently have that pit in my stomach, wondering if I made the correct decision. I will share my thoughts on the camera, and some photos, after I get a chance to use it.
Craig -
I should have added that I bought my D500 used from Henry's in Canada - something like B&H in the U.S. I was a bit anxious initially, but the camera came with a 90 day warranty and Henry's is a well respected chain. The camera was - still is - great and had only 7500 shutter actuations when purchased. I'm pretty sure that you'll be impressed with yours once it arrives!
cheers,
Alex

I wrestled with that question a few years ago (upgrading from a D5300) and chose the D500. I also picked up a 200-500mm. In hindsight, the choice was one of my better moves.

The D500 was my conversion to back button focus too....thanks to Steve.

Craig -
I should have added that I bought my D500 used from Henry's in Canada - something like B&H in the U.S. I was a bit anxious initially, but the camera came with a 90 day warranty and Henry's is a well respected chain. The camera was - still is - great and had only 7500 shutter actuations when purchased. I'm pretty sure that you'll be impressed with yours once it arrives!
cheers,
Alex
Alex - Henry’s was the company I ordered the D500 from. I usually prefer to buy from locally-based companies here in Vancouver. But this is one item that no one in the region has had in stock in months. So, I bought one that was available.
I have purchased from Henry’s before - a hard-to-find spare battery for my Nikon V2. They delivered the item ordered in a timely manner. They are now my go-to place for hard-to-find items. Count me as a satisfied return customer of theirs.

The D500 is the only Nikon DSLR I kept when I converted to the Z mirrorless system this winter. It's (IMHO) a pro-level body in a smaller profile, with the bells and whistles of the much more expensive FX pro bodies. I do have the 500mm and 300mm PF lenses which seem perfectly balanced with the D500--use those lenses on my Z6II as well, which is a bonus. I love my Z cameras, but for BIF and fast moving wildlife my D500 is the top performer in my stable.

Alex - Henry’s was the company I ordered the D500 from. I usually prefer to buy from locally-based companies here in Vancouver. But this is one item that no one in the region has had in stock in months. So, I bought one that was available.
I have purchased from Henry’s before - a hard-to-find spare battery for my Nikon V2. They delivered the item ordered in a timely manner. They are now my go-to place for hard-to-find items. Count me as a satisfied return customer of theirs.
Henry's has a store about a 10 minute walk from my house in Toronto....way too close in my opinion! They have a great staff and give good advice and have given me some very good deals over the years.
Enjoy the D500....as others have said, it's a very good DSLR.

I started with the D7500, which I thought was very good. I then upgraded to the D500. In my opinion, there is no contest. The D500 is the way to go. A much more robust AF system, along with a much more customizable button arrangement. It is much easier to shift AF modes ( group to single) in the D500 and I use my D500 all the time, and the D7500 as a backup is used much less. Again, my opinion.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I went ahead and ordered the gently-used D500. I assume that I will receive it late next week. I currently have that pit in my stomach, wondering if I made the correct decision. I will share my thoughts on the camera, and some photos, after I get a chance to use it.
The first time you use it your reservations will be allayed. It’s a joy to use.

I have a Nikon D500 Kit for sale with 16-80mm Lens with Nikon Vertical Grip MB-D17, 2 Batteries and 128GB UHS-II Memory Card, approx. 19,500 Shutter Activations. Purchased thru Allen's Camera (Authorized Nikon Professional Seller) 2-27-2021 camera in mint condition. Serial numbers upon request. Call for price 302-528-5940 or email [email protected] Reason for selling I bought a D850.

Thank you for the responses so far.
The used D500 will be an online sale. It is rated as an 8+ by a respected retailer. The rating indicates minor cosmetic wear.

I only once ever bought a used item online (from KEH), and it turned out to be in near new shape. But I usually only buy items that I can personally handle. This will be one of the few times I will not, should I actually purchase it.
I know you now have the camera on order, but an 8+ rating does give me a bit of pause given how many stores "create" their rating scales. Between the multiple pluses (+, ++, +++) or minuses (-, --, ---) and LN vs. EX vs. LNIB, by the time you get to something like 8+, it can be much lower than you might think it should be. Check it out carefully. If you got a good price and do not care about cosmetics and it has a reasonably low shutter count, then it may be a good deal. But I am hoping they are also offering you a return option and/or a limited warranty as well in case it is not what you were expecting.

Good luck,

--Ken

D500 is a great camera, don't trip. You'll be happy with it.. I actually just sold mine.. I think I had over a half million shutter clicks on it and it still performs flawlessly.. ( I sold it dirt cheap with a full disclosure on the shutter count).. Nikon rates the D500 for 200,000 clicks I think. Just making the point that those cameras are built very well and can take a lot of abuse.

Last edited:
another 100% thumbs up for D500. As Thom H keeps saying, it is still the best DX ILC available 6 years after Jan 2016. I bought mine in London late 2016 - Used (lightly)... Bargain at 1200 quid and it served me very well until I went fully FX finally.
The D500 has been one of a couple of Nikons I've bought Used (incl D5, Df etc). It's hard to go wrong, provided one is buying from a reputable retailer and they give a 6 months warranty

Last edited:
Back