Quick Advice Request - Used D500 or New D7500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The prices on B&H for a used D500 seem high but perhaps I am way off base in my expectations. Are a "9+ with 14,000 SC or a 10 with no listed shutter count for $1305 and $1356 respectively priced as to be expected? I had seen new stock last week but now it is under the imported image.

Last edited:
The prices on B&H for used seem high but maybe I expect more of a discount incorrectly. Are a "9+ with 14,000 SC or a 10 with no listed shutter count for $1305 and $1356 respectively priced as to be expected? They said their in stock new was not imported but this listing seems to change on their website. I am all for new at $1596 vs a few hundred in savings.
If I buy a Nikon product was imported by Nikon USA then Nikon Canada (I live in Canada) will treat it as a grey-market item and force me to pay for repairs that would be covered under warranty in the US. As I understand it, one needs to have a US mailing address to get warranty repairs done by Nikon USA. This is too complicated for my liking.

FWIW, I think that B&H has a fine on-line retail operation. I have ordered items (mostly accessories) from B&H that were not available from Canadian retailers, and I was happy with their service. That said, I prefer to “buy local” as much as possible, and I have purchased most of my photo gear from two or three local brick-and-mortar stores or chains in my area. Finding a D500, new or used, at one of these stores has been fruitless for the last several months. The one I found was at a national chain in Canada with a good reputation that also has a store in my city.

When I get the D500 I will let everyone know what my copy is like, and post some photos that I take with it.

Not mentioned is that the D500 has the latest generation of autofocus as is also found on the D5 and D850 cameras. This new system has better sensors and a dedicated autofocus processor. With the D500 Group AF actually works and this is true even with fast moving subjects like hummers and terns.

Reactions: Hut
If I buy a Nikon product was imported by Nikon USA then Nikon Canada (I live in Canada) will treat it as a grey-market item and force me to pay for repairs that would be covered under warranty in the US. As I understand it, one needs to have a US mailing address to get warranty repairs done by Nikon USA. This is too complicated for my liking.

FWIW, I think that B&H has a fine on-line retail operation. I have ordered items (mostly accessories) from B&H that were not available from Canadian retailers, and I was happy with their service. That said, I prefer to “buy local” as much as possible, and I have purchased most of my photo gear from two or three local brick-and-mortar stores or chains in my area. Finding a D500, new or used, at one of these stores has been fruitless for the last several months. The one I found was at a national chain in Canada with a good reputation that also has a store in my city.

When I get the D500 I will let everyone know what my copy is like, and post some photos that I take with it.
Interesting. That does seem ridiculously complicated from USA to Canada purchases.

The prices on B&H for a used D500 seem high but perhaps I am way off base in my expectations. Are a "9+ with 14,000 SC or a 10 with no listed shutter count for $1305 and $1356 respectively priced as to be expected? I had seen new stock last week but now it is under the imported image.
That’s on the high side. I paid less than that for a used one with about 6k on the shutter and rating of 10 back in 2019 when I wanted something for fast action to compliment my newly acquired Z6.

That’s on the high side. I paid less than that for a used one with about 6k on the shutter and rating of 10 back in 2019 when I wanted something for fast action to compliment my newly acquired Z6.
The D500 used pricing seems quite responsive to supply and demand. In 2019, they were in good supply. In 2022, they are no longer in good supply (from Nikon) and the demand for them has not moved that much, so prices for used copies are higher.

--Ken

I have decided that a recent Nikon DX DSLR is the best type of camera for me at this moment for bird photography. I think I am ready to make a purchase. For those who have experience with either would you get a used D500 or a new D7500? I have used the latter, and thought it was good. A number of people have recommended the D500 as the better camera, but have never used one. If it was your money, which one would you get right now?
Both good cameras but the D500 has the clear edge in Autofocus.
If you intend to continue then you may want to stick with full frame lenses.
There are only 3-4 DX lenses worth using...🦘

I agree with what everyone has said but wanted to add one more thing. The D500 is a “pro” body and I personally find them much easier to shoot with. They are a little larger, a lot more rugged, and have several more buttons that make adjusting camera settings so much easier. For me once I started shooting with “pro” body it was hard to shoot with anything else. You get used to the easy access and not having to go into menu options for as much.

I agree with what everyone has said but wanted to add one more thing. The D500 is a “pro” body and I personally find them much easier to shoot with. They are a little larger, a lot more rugged, and have several more buttons that make adjusting camera settings so much easier. For me once I started shooting with “pro” body it was hard to shoot with anything else. You get used to the easy access and not having to go into menu options for as much.
I used to jokingly say that you pay a lot more money to have buttons on your camera body, but it is true. You do get the rugged features that you mentioned, but dedicated buttons are a luxury that I have come to enjoy. A lot less menu diving.

--Ken

D7500 has a similar layout and top lcd to D500 but without joystick and no lighted buttons.
Who would have thought that a joystick and lighted buttons were so expensive? :rolleyes:

I had briefly considered the D7500, but as I was coming from a D300, the D500 just seemed like the better replacement since my fingers knew where everything I needed was located. It is a bit of a PITA when I use the D750 since it often take me a minute to remember where, to borrow Thom Hogan's favorite phrase about Nikon buttons, somebody moved my cheese.

--Ken

Back