Quick FYI to anyone making a Blurb photo book

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MatthewK

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So my new New Year's resolution is to create a photo book at the end of each year to put onto paper all of my best/favorite work from that year. For this endeavor I decided to take the easy route: using the Lightroom 'Book' module to create a Blurb photo book. Simple enough to create a layout, populate it with photos, and submit to blurb for printing, wait forever (their shipping is glacially slow), and finally got hands on the book... only to be totally let down because all of my photos were severely underexposed. Reading their FAQs, yep, there it is:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.37.56 AM.png

It would be immensely helpful if Adobe/Lightroom popped up a message warning you of this prior to submission and spending a good amount of money. I may contact them and suggest it.

Lucky for me, that particular book arrived damaged, and customer service was gracious enough to provide a replacement free of charge, which meant I got a do-over. On my iMac 5k monitor, I followed their instructions and set brightness to 50%, re-edited my photos to bring them up to proper exposure, and re-submitted. New book arrived today, and it looks fantastic! All photos are just as they should be, and it's a whole other feeling having them on paper in front of you.

So, for those of us new at printing with Blurb, make sure you lower the brightness of your monitor while creating your book in Lightroom. It also has me worried that over all these years that I have been sharing photos online that looked great to me here at home, but were dreadfully underexposed and people thought I was a crap photographer 😣 No one has told me that so far, but maybe it's because everyone is genuinely nice and doesn't want to hurt my feelings 🤣

Hope this helps someone save money and frustration!

IMG_6299.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks for the brightness info. I have had problems in the past with photos coming out too dark. Part of the problem was they were lay-flat books for my grandkids.

Nice to share the warning and sorry to hear about the exposure issue, but I do not necessarily see this as the fault of LR. This could happen with any editing program. An often overlooked part of monitor calibration is setting the brightness, and most monitors come set to "11" from the factory to impress you. You may find the same issue when you go to make prints. Monitor brightness, room brightness and color temperature, and all of the variable from the lab's end need generally need to be accounted for. Soft proofing can help to a degree, but that mostly deals with the color space and paper profile. But happy that Blurb was kind enough to offer you a replacement free of charge.

--Ken

I wonder if it also varies depending upon the peak brightness of the monitor? Do you still go to 50% on a 350 nit monitor just as you would on a 500 nit like the 5k iMac?

Thanks for this very helpful information and inspiration. It is on my to-do list to create personal books with favorite photos from past years. I know creating books can be time consuming and expensive so I certainly want the products to look as good as they can. I, too, would love to see one of your inner pages.

Nice to share the warning and sorry to hear about the exposure issue, but I do not necessarily see this as the fault of LR. This could happen with any editing program. An often overlooked part of monitor calibration is setting the brightness, and most monitors come set to "11" from the factory to impress you. You may find the same issue when you go to make prints. Monitor brightness, room brightness and color temperature, and all of the variable from the lab's end need generally need to be accounted for. Soft proofing can help to a degree, but that mostly deals with the color space and paper profile. But happy that Blurb was kind enough to offer you a replacement free of charge.

--Ken
Maybe another service offers an option to proof your photos before it goes to print, to ensure things aren't severely out of whack? I'd pay a little extra for that. Moral of the story with Blurb + Lightroom + iMac 27" 5k = set monitor brightness to 50% as you put the book together.
How about some pics of the inside pages?
Sure!
IMG_6304.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

I put a table of contents in the back; one of the first things my family (who aren't up on bird IDs) asked was: "do you have a list of what birds these are?". I also mixed up the photo size/placements throughout, with some being full page, others having 2-3 photos on a page.

Overall, I'm really happy by how it turned out. You can see in certain photos the effects of not being as aggressive on noise reduction, where there's still some grain visible (but also a lot of detail). It's been a learning experience, that's for sure, and I already know what I'll do differently the next go around.

Maybe another service offers an option to proof your photos before it goes to print, to ensure things aren't severely out of whack? I'd pay a little extra for that. Moral of the story with Blurb + Lightroom + iMac 27" 5k = set monitor brightness to 50% as you put the book together.

Sure!
View attachment 79424
View attachment 79425

I put a table of contents in the back; one of the first things my family (who aren't up on bird IDs) asked was: "do you have a list of what birds these are?". I also mixed up the photo size/placements throughout, with some being full page, others having 2-3 photos on a page.

Overall, I'm really happy by how it turned out. You can see in certain photos the effects of not being as aggressive on noise reduction, where there's still some grain visible (but also a lot of detail). It's been a learning experience, that's for sure, and I already know what I'll do differently the next go around.
Looks good! I did some years ago and they were pretty good but kind of pricey. Thanks!

Does Blurb offer an ICC profile for you to soft proof in LR? That will help reduce some of the possible issues when printing.

--Ken

Does Blurb offer an ICC profile for you to soft proof in LR? That will help reduce some of the possible issues when printing.

--Ken
That's a good question, will have to look more into it. You'd think that since Blurb is directly tied into LR's 'Book' module that it'd already be tuned to print from that source. Lot to learn, either way!

Back