Quick Lever Release for Wimberley MonoGimbal head

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I took Steve's advice and ordered a Wimberley MonoGimbal head for my monopod. It is great. But the screw clamp to hold the lens color is a pain to use. A clamp with a quick release lever makes more sense but not available from Wimberley. My solution was to use a Really Right Stuff Lever Release Clamp with a RRS Quick Release Plate attached to the bottom of the clamp. Then I can just place the Lever Release Clamp in the screw clamp on the MonoGimbal head. Now much easier and faster to mount lens to monopod head.
MonoGimbal.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
MonoGimbal.jpg
MonoGimbal.jpg

There was another post showing how to replace the screw clamp with the lever clamp a process I am about to undertake. Apparantly, the knob removes by undoing a screw in the centre, the shaft is then removed, held in a soft jawed vice and the arca plate unscrewed. It is then replaced with the clamp plate.

Here's the thread:

I took the advice and replaced my factory QR with the RRS one (did it on both mine and my wife's). I ended up clamping down on the shaft with some rubber and a vice. It did leave some very minor marks, but I just couldn't get it tight enough with wood. When clamping, my advice is to make sure you're clamping on the area of the main shaft that's not in contact with the bushings. That way, no worries if you scratch it.

Oh, the QR is a game-changer!

I managed to get enough clamping force using two pieces of 2x6 pine without making any marks.
P9050002.JPG

I was using some leftover pieces of 1/4" plywood veneer. I think it was too slippery. Pine looks like a better choice :)
Because it is relatively soft, the shaft sunk into the wood. It still needed a fair bit of tightening though. I should have written 1x6 pine not 2x6 in my previous post, sorry.:mad:

I’ve seen several threads round and about this recently...and while the QR is easier to mount and I mount, there is the possibility of it catching on a backpack loop or whatever if you carry it over your shoulder. That would make me lean towards the screw clamp...because I’m probably not changing the lens on the monopod often...if I need a shorter than the telephoto I’m just popping the body off the lens instead and leaving the lens mounted.

I worry about various ways my camera and lens can part company with my tripod or monopod, especially when I’m carrying it on my shoulder. Because of this, I added a safety feature to my Tamron 150-600 telephoto. I drilled and tapped a ¼-20 hole in the lens bracket. I can then add a 1/4" Camera Mount D-Ring and attach a safety line for around my neck and shoulder.
IMG_2272.jpg

I would use a lever-lock clamp to minimize the risks. Acratech has one i'm satisfied with.

I worry about various ways my camera and lens can part company with my tripod or monopod, especially when I’m carrying it on my shoulder. Because of this, I added a safety feature to my Tamron 150-600 telephoto. I drilled and tapped a ¼-20 hole in the lens bracket. I can then add a 1/4" Camera Mount D-Ring and attach a safety line for around my neck and shoulder.
View attachment 3248
RRS foots have QD mounts for QD fasteners. That's the way to go IMO. Use those mounts for my camera straps as the RRS camera plates have QD mounts s well.

I do a similar thing when my Tamron and body are on the tripod getting carried over my shoulder…either the sling on the lens or the sling on the camera (Black Rapid cross body strap so the camera hangs at waist level) is over my shoulder as well as the tripod.

I ended up with some minor scratches on the shaft, but they were easily cleaned up with extra fine wet dry sandpaper and oil. This polished the surface to a nice smooth finish and had no impact on performance. You only want to remove the raised metal and not any scratches into the metal. Hope this helps.

Here's the thread:

I took the advice and replaced my factory QR with the RRS one (did it on both mine and my wife's). I ended up clamping down on the shaft with some rubber and a vice. It did leave some very minor marks, but I just couldn't get it tight enough with wood. When clamping, my advice is to make sure you're clamping on the area of the main shaft that's not in contact with the bushings. That way, no worries if you scratch it.

So, am I reading this right, I unscrew the tension knob and clamp the shaft in a vise (with rubber) then unscrew the plate and then screw on the RRS plate?

Here's the thread:

Seems to be a Broken link Steve.
(I get the ‘OOPS PAGE’)

Figured it out - he deleted the thread. As an admin I can see the thread, but a normal user can't. Now that I'm thinking back, I think there was some problem that came up with the procedure for disassembly or something. I don't see a replacement thread about it though. I do know that Wimberely will do it for you if you like - probably the best way to go.

I do know that Wimberely will do it for you if you like - probably the best way to go.

But costs way too much to send it back to the States;)

The easiest way to dis-assemble is to wind 2 x 3/8 UNF nuts on to the thread form. They act as a "lock nut" and no risk of damaging the machined taper form.

RRS Lock Nuts.jpg

Figured it out - he deleted the thread. As an admin I can see the thread, but a normal user can't. Now that I'm thinking back, I think there was some problem that came up with the procedure for disassembly or something. I don't see a replacement thread about it though. I do know that Wimberely will do it for you if you like - probably the best way to go.

Wimberley asks 103 buck for shipment (the unit is this way 30 euro more expensive than overhere shipped)
Beats me why they charge this much?
I bought a lot of stuff from Promedia gear (40ish dollars for shipping...)
Too bad, I’d love to get this head with the RRS clamp, but I’m no technician LOL I bring my car in when I need to change a bulb.

Here's the thread:

Hi Steve. The above URL you referenced does not appear to be available. Wimberley Monogimbal Head with RRS Clamp ? From your comment in another thread, it may be gone. Can you provide an update? Will the Really Right Stuff B2-40-LR: 50MM Lever Release Clamp work on the Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head for Monopods? What is the best way to install it? Also, in your monopod video (
) you show the MH-100 mounted to a monopod with a RRS quick release lever clamp, but you do not mention that in the monopod video. Can you provide some details about that?

Hi Steve. The above URL you referenced does not appear to be available. Wimberley Monogimbal Head with RRS Clamp ? From your comment in another thread, it may be gone. Can you provide an update? Will the Really Right Stuff B2-40-LR: 50MM Lever Release Clamp work on the Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head for Monopods? What is the best way to install it? Also, in your monopod video (
) you show the MH-100 mounted to a monopod with a RRS quick release lever clamp, but you do not mention that in the monopod video. Can you provide some details about that?
I'm pretty sure that's the one I have, it should work regardless though since the thread is the right size. Best way to install it really is to send it to Wimberley and just let them do it. I don't think they even charge for it, but you might want to contact them. Tell them I sent you, I think they like me :)

I'm 100% confident that I took far more time messing with the thing than it would have been to just drop it off at UPS and send it to them LOL!

I'm pretty sure that I was using a 4 series Gitzo 4552L monopod in that video. I don't have it handy but that the one I use all the time. It works well with heavier glass.

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have, it should work regardless though since the thread is the right size. Best way to install it really is to send it to Wimberley and just let them do it. I don't think they even charge for it, but you might want to contact them. Tell them I sent you, I think they like me :)

I'm 100% confident that I took far more time messing with the thing than it would have been to just drop it off at UPS and send it to them LOL!

I'm pretty sure that I was using a 4 series Gitzo 4552L monopod in that video. I don't have it handy but that the one I use all the time. It works well with heavier glass.
Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. I will reach out to Wimberley.

Regarding the monopod... I am referring to the RRS lever clamp you added to the monopod. Is that just the Really Right Stuff B2-40-LR: 50MM Lever Release Clamp (or older version) mounted directly to the monopod, and then clamped to the MH-100? Does it simply screw on, or is there a trick to attach it to the monopod?

I took Steve's advice and ordered a Wimberley MonoGimbal head for my monopod. It is great. But the screw clamp to hold the lens color is a pain to use. A clamp with a quick release lever makes more sense but not available from Wimberley. My solution was to use a Really Right Stuff Lever Release Clamp with a RRS Quick Release Plate attached to the bottom of the clamp. Then I can just place the Lever Release Clamp in the screw clamp on the MonoGimbal head. Now much easier and faster to mount lens to monopod head.
View attachment 3218View attachment 3218View attachment 3218
I don't understand. Why not put the lens directly on the monopod head versus off to one side?

Back