RAM Hardware questions (want to upgrade it myself)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After much troubleshooting into why Lightroom is so slow, the glaring bottleneck seems to be my 16GB memory, which creeps up to 78-99% usage when I use LR. According to Task Manager, LR was using over 8GB. Everything else seems to be fine (processor, free space, etc). I currently have a 16GB (8GBx2) 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, and want to upgrade to 64GB. From what I researched, I need to stick with a DDR4, but I'm wandering if I can use any brand or is there a type of plug I need to look for etc. I believe that all I need to do is unplug the old and plug in the new (after shutting down the computer, of course). Anything else I should know? In case anyone is wondering, I have an Intel Core i7-10700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.1GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W, and a GeForce GTX 1660 Super Overclocked 6GB GPU. If this doesn't solve the performance, I'll install a large internal SSD drive (I'm using a 4TB external one with 3 TB free). Thank you for your help!

Go to the crucial.com memory site and run the crucial scanner. It will tell you specifically what memory can be added and the specifics about the memory. You don't need to order Crucial memory but you will have the specifics of the memory needed.

If you look up your motherboard you should be able to find a list of RAM that the motherboard will allow to run at its max with an XMP profile. Without an XMP profile the 3600mhz ram will likely run at 2400mhz. Order a kit that is only 2 sticks and dont think you can order 2 sets of 2. If you want 64 gig then get a kit of 2 32 gig sticks. I suspect that your RAM is an issue but Id wager a large part of your issue is the external HDD that you are running on.

What type of internal drive do you have? Are you running your applications off of the internal drive?
The app is installed on a 500GB SSD (Samsung SSD970 EVO Plus), and it has 265 GB of free space (I deleted a huge text file I found that was taking up 200GB). I'm currently running the catalog on the external SSD, where the image files are saved. It connects to a USB-C I think it's v1.
I also have a 250GB SSD internal drive that's available.

OWC also have great tools for upgrading memory, and their HOW TO videos make it really easy too. You cab search by machine .

Both the computer RAM and the GPU card VRAM are important for many applications. Usually there are 4 slots for Ram modules and you can replace them two at a time. Need same type and same speed as are already installed on the computer.

Does your motherboard have an m.2 slot? The Crucial Scanner might tell you if you have an m.2 slot.

I think performance would improve if you run your catalog off of an internal drive. Crystal Disk mark is a good tool to compare the speed of your internal SSD and your external SSD.

Does your motherboard have an m.2 slot? The Crucial Scanner might tell you if you have an m.2 slot.

I think performance would improve if you run your catalog off of an internal drive. Crystal Disk mark is a good tool to compare the speed of your internal SSD and your external SSD.
Don't know what the m.2 is. I've been trying to run Crucial scanner, but it doesn't seem to work on my custom built computer

The app is installed on a 500GB SSD (Samsung SSD970 EVO Plus), and it has 265 GB of free space (I deleted a huge text file I found that was taking up 200GB). I'm currently running the catalog on the external SSD, where the image files are saved. It connects to a USB-C I think it's v1.
I also have a 250GB SSD internal drive that's available.

Even with more ram, storing the catalog on the ssd is good. The system and program files should be on the ssd as well of course. Catalog doesn't have to be on the same drive as the image files.

Don't know what the m.2 is. I've been trying to run Crucial scanner, but it doesn't seem to work on my custom built computer
Yes, you are correct the Crucial scanner will not run on a custom build.

My apologies, you stated you have a 970 EVO plus SSD and that is an m.2 drive. The internal m.2 drive should be much faster than an external SSD. I have my system, apps, and my LrC catalog, cache and previews all on a EVO 980 Pro SSD 2TB with about 600GB to spare. My photos are all stored on an internal 16TB drive.

I have never really been able to match performance using external vs internal storage.

Do you know specifically which motherboard was used to build your PC? That would help to know if it is PCIe Gen 4 compatible and the appropriate memory upgrades.

Internal M.2 drive will be faster…unless the external is also M.2 and running on Thunderbolt. All the drive tests on my Mac Studio say it’s drive is faster than the external OWC TB SSD my catalog is on…but for all practical purposes I don’t notice the difference…and the external gets me out of the road/home catalog and related export/import hassle when I get back home.

Back