Re advice on light weight camera and lens for bird watching/bird photography and travel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For most vids and stills applications, the files you'll get out of the best cell phones are about the same you'll get out of an MFT camera. I use my S23 in pro vid mode all the time.

I'd look at one of the smaller new FFs and APS-C from Sony (eg zv or 6xxx series) if you "must" have an optical tele.

For most vids and stills applications, the files you'll get out of the best cell phones are about the same you'll get out of an MFT camera.

Technically speaking, for most direct to web usage, you'll get better stills and vids from a high end smartphone than any camera on the market, be it mFT, APS-C, FF or 645 :).

I haven't seen any of the traditional camera manufacturers capable to go in camera toe to toe with the software processing that happens in a smartphone...

..... that will give me the reach and flexibility for mammals and birds?. Please let me know your suggestions.

With your Z8 +500PF/1.4x TC combo you are looking at 700mm uncropped and ~900mm equivalent when cropped (~20MP). To get that kind of reach in a significantly smaller/lighter setup there aren't a lot of choices. The one mentioned a lot (and by yourself) is an OM-1 with either the 300F4+TC or the 100-400. As you probably know (and others have mentioned) you will lose some high ISO capabilities but that is part of the price you pay for going smaller.

Another option is something like the Sony RX10 IV with its 600mm equivalent lens. You are giving up reach and some more low light capabilities for a MUCH smaller package.

Personal experience I bring my M43 kit when I want to go light instead of my FF Sony stuff. On a recent 2.5 week trip to Iceland I just bought my M43 and it did not disappoint at all (including puffin photos in the pouring rain :) ).

At the end of the day you'll have to decide what things you are willing to sacrifice on since there is no perfect solution.

Technically speaking, for most direct to web usage, you'll get better stills and vids from a high end smartphone than any camera on the market, be it mFT, APS-C, FF or 645 :).

I haven't seen any of the traditional camera manufacturers capable to go in camera toe to toe with the software processing that happens in a smartphone...

100% agreeing. The cell phones killed the entire point-and-shoot segment and many players with it and for most applications they are same/better than cameras. And the new 1/1.14 stacked Sony sensor in the next iPhone would produce a DR above 10, equal to some APS-Cs. So they're tackling IQ from both software and hardware. Great time to be a creative.

Hi, I have a Nikon Z8 with a 500PF lens, 1.4 extender and FTZ 11 adapter as my primary bird photography equipment. I enjoy both watching birds with binoculars and photographing them. I bird watch by hiking and having light gear is key. I recently moved to the Z8 from a D500 and still struggle to master the AF of the Z8 especially with the 2 recalls.
However my question is that I am traveling in Spain by train with my wife for 3 weeks {not birding], then I am going on a guided trip to the Ebro Delta and mountains for birding.
I see myself doing more mammals wildlife and birding trips in the future and investing in a lighter solution is going to be needed. My current Z8 500PF, 1.4X combo is too heavy when combined with my binoculars etc to drag all over Spain. The Z8 sensor is remarkable and do I add a lighter lens to that or buy the OM1 or some other system [APSC] that will give me the reach and flexibility for mammals and birds?. Please let me know your suggestions.
I also use the 500mm PF as my primary birding lens. I added the 100-400 S lens as a complementary lens. It is great for mammals and larger birds plus the short MFD is quite useful for butterflies and macro subjects. It’s a good option if you want to stick with one body.

Hi, I have a Nikon Z8 with a 500PF lens, 1.4 extender and FTZ 11 adapter as my primary bird photography equipment. I enjoy both watching birds with binoculars and photographing them. I bird watch by hiking and having light gear is key. I recently moved to the Z8 from a D500 and still struggle to master the AF of the Z8 especially with the 2 recalls.
However my question is that I am traveling in Spain by train with my wife for 3 weeks {not birding], then I am going on a guided trip to the Ebro Delta and mountains for birding.
I see myself doing more mammals wildlife and birding trips in the future and investing in a lighter solution is going to be needed. My current Z8 500PF, 1.4X combo is too heavy when combined with my binoculars etc to drag all over Spain. The Z8 sensor is remarkable and do I add a lighter lens to that or buy the OM1 or some other system [APSC] that will give me the reach and flexibility for mammals and birds?. Please let me know your suggestions.
I recently purchased the OM-1 with 100-400 exclusively for bird photography. It was a big step up from the Nikon D700 Tamron 160-600 in terms of weight, flexibility, enjoyment, and functionality. I only hand hold so lightness is important. That said, it isn’t fantastic in low light unless you have support. Still, I am very satisfied with it. Especially recommend it for travel but as mentioned I use it daily as my main set up. I hope that s helpful.

My wife needs a light weight system so she uses the Tamron 18-400 lens with adapter on the Z50. I recently bought an OM-1 and shoot birds with the 300mm F4 (in place of the Z9 with 200-500 lens). Both acceptable options.

I was in the same situation, so I traded in a D500, several lenses and a Sony RX100 vll for an OM-1 and Oly 100-400 (I have kept a second D500 and 500-pf). The OM1 and lens are 1 lb lighter than the D500 and 500-pf, and have all the awesome features described in this thread and elsewhere. And as I can get casual and scenic images with my IPhone 14 pro, that are as good as I ever could with the Sony, I don’t miss that. I also carry binoculars. I can easily walk around with the binos on a harness round my neck and the camera/lens on a Peak design slide strap over 1 shoulder. So far I’m very pleased with making the switch.

A note about iPhones. I don’t think it is at all possible to shoot birds with an iPhone : ). I have 13 Max Pro. Normal snapshots and video yes, but not up close for moving birds at a distance at a high level of photography.

I know that phones have enormous capabilities nowadays but I personally do not like the look of the images. If someone handed me the latest iPhone or a 35mm or MF film camera, I'm going to pick the film camera every time. That's my taste though.

Thanks for all the great advice. I spent some time in a camera store looking at the various options.
What is clear to me is that I am just learning to use the Z8, the transition from my D500 is a significant one.
The 2 recalls have slowed my ability to learn to use the Z8 so buying into a second system an OM1 at this time just compounds my difficulty transitioning to mirrorless. The OM1 and 100-400 weight saving combined with a need to purchase new cards and batteries, doesn't seem to justify the expense.

The Z 400 F4.5 lens is really nice but I am losing out on reach. I am getting great results with my 500PF with or without the 1.4 extender, the wight difference with the 400 F4.5 is again marginal.

I think what will work for me for this trip is to use my iPhone for general people and city pictures. For small and large birds I will take the Z8 and 500PF and extender. The idea of programming Fn1 to give 100% magnification is something I will try.
The kicker in my final decision is that I will buy a light and good camera backpack that is flight carry on compliant, with enough room for medication etc. [Possibly the Streetwalker HardDive V2.0 Back pack by Thinktank].
This will allow me to evaluate the Nikon z 180--600 as a Safari, wildlife lens as the next lens to buy.

This has been a tortuous decision, the Z400 F4.5 is a great lens and if I did not have the 500PF I would have bought it and an Extender. I will live with my plan and see how it works out. Thanks for all of the input, and I know that there is no right decision.

Thanks for all the great advice. I spent some time in a camera store looking at the various options.
What is clear to me is that I am just learning to use the Z8, the transition from my D500 is a significant one.
The 2 recalls have slowed my ability to learn to use the Z8 so buying into a second system an OM1 at this time just compounds my difficulty transitioning to mirrorless. The OM1 and 100-400 weight saving combined with a need to purchase new cards and batteries, doesn't seem to justify the expense.

The Z 400 F4.5 lens is really nice but I am losing out on reach. I am getting great results with my 500PF with or without the 1.4 extender, the wight difference with the 400 F4.5 is again marginal.

I think what will work for me for this trip is to use my iPhone for general people and city pictures. For small and large birds I will take the Z8 and 500PF and extender. The idea of programming Fn1 to give 100% magnification is something I will try.
The kicker in my final decision is that I will buy a light and good camera backpack that is flight carry on compliant, with enough room for medication etc. [Possibly the Streetwalker HardDive V2.0 Back pack by Thinktank].
This will allow me to evaluate the Nikon z 180--600 as a Safari, wildlife lens as the next lens to buy.

This has been a tortuous decision, the Z400 F4.5 is a great lens and if I did not have the 500PF I would have bought it and an Extender. I will live with my plan and see how it works out. Thanks for all of the input, and I know that there is no right decision.

I can relate to tortuous decisions about gear! You ultimately have so much more knowledge about your situation and it’s good to go with your sound logic and gut. P.s. I happen to need a good international travel pack so thanks for mentioning yours.

This is probably coming from left field, but for the ultimate in lightweight travel, I still turn to my Nikon 1 system (2.7x crop factor). The 10-30 and 30-110mm lenses are very sharp, and the 70-300mm gives you 189-810mm effective focal length. The V1 version (no grip) and 10mm f/2.8 fits in your pocket, and even the V2 with built in grip and the 70-300 fits in the palm of my hand! They can be had for a song nowadays -- mirrorless, 15 frames per second, electronic and manual shutter, etc. They are not great at high ISO but have used it with good results inside museums with no flash. Check out what that little gem can do in the Nikon 1 forum on DPReview.
I can concur, the Nikon 1 system is wonderful. If you want the reach, try to get the 70-300mm. I took one (Nikon 1 V3) on an Africa safari a few years ago and I was very pleased with the results. Now I have the Z8 and I'm going to the gym to build some upper body strength (haha) so I can take the Z8 and either the 100-400 or the new 180-600.

For everything other than long distance BIF or wild life...........

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tography-snapshots-to-masterpieces?ref=biey9k

The new I Phone coming will be interesting.

The OM 1 is a nice option, i would rent one first. Its not cheap for what it is and your running a second system.
I find more so USED the Sony A1 or a A9, A7 RV on a 100-400 is very small light and comfortable also as an option.
The Nikon 100-400 and a Z7II (used) is a good set up. Maybe not your bees knees for wild life but gee many people nail things still.
The super high frame rates are for many people and applications over kill, as is the trending eye tracking etc etc, i mean it has its place and purpose, and fits the need if you really need it.

Only an opinion

OM and the lenses you need. Shop used to save some money.

Back