Re starting Macro

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tom Reynolds

Supporting Member
Marketplace
When I shot underwater it was all macro, D-300/105 plus a Subsee +10 wet diopter that allowed me to take super macro before most. Two INON strobes on long arms. They were usually set to the lens and away from the camera.

I am now returning to macro and experimenting with my new gear: OM-1 mk2, 90 F3.5, 300f4, 100-400 and two TC's. I also have a FL900 and a ST-8 flash and various reflectors.

What can my camera do? First, I shot an orchid in ambient light at F11. I then tried mounting the FL900 on the camera in ttl mode. It really didn't seem to help. (strobe on top of camera doesn't create much.) I was unimpressed.

Finally, I went back to ambient light ant tried OM Systems in-camera focus stacking. I shot 15 images, hand-held at a variance of 3. F5.6. Processed in Topaz Photo AI wich decided to only sharpen.

Results:
_5020095_15 x 3 stack-ambient.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That bit of yellow with the lilac - it rocks!
Thanks. In my opinion the best shot so far.

After experimentation I think the way I'll use flash, the vast majority of the time, is with the tiny flash as commander with my partner holding a remote. Otherwise, the weight of a larger strobe on the camera is simply too much for me.

Back