RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A RAID 5 ARRAY FOR DESKTOP

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am looking for a combination of adequate speed and some protection against drive failure. The RAID 5 in the case of a four drive array provides three striped drives plus one redundant drive.
Fair enough, I was wondering. A surprising number of people seem to be running RAID solutions. I'm happy with a fast SSD and a HDD backup (and cloud backup). The RAID 5 gives you continuous availability even in the event of a disk failure, but then you have to get a new drive in there quickly to guard against double-disk failures.

A business running a RAID 5 solution would get an alert on a drive failure and somebody would be sent fairly quickly to pop an already purchased drive in the array. Then you rebuild the array.

I do not understand. His NAS is setup for RAID.
Yes…both have the drives set up as a RAID. The difference I was talking bout is between the NAS which is another computer on your LAN essentially and thus needs management, updating, backup, etc. hooking up a RAID directly to your existing computer eliminates the extra computer management, provides same or faster speed of access to the main LR computer, and provides all the other supposed advantages of a separate NAS at lower cost and easier management. I’m not saying a NAS is a bad idea…just that it doesn’t actually give you any additional features or capabilities over the cheaper and easier to manage drive array hooked directly to your computer. To any other device on the LAN or for access across the internet…a NAS and a shared drive (be it RAID or not) are identical.

Yes…both have the drives set up as a RAID. The difference I was talking bout is between the NAS which is another computer on your LAN essentially and thus needs management, updating, backup, etc. hooking up a RAID directly to your existing computer eliminates the extra computer management, provides same or faster speed of access to the main LR computer, and provides all the other supposed advantages of a separate NAS at lower cost and easier management. I’m not saying a NAS is a bad idea…just that it doesn’t actually give you any additional features or capabilities over the cheaper and easier to manage drive array hooked directly to your computer. To any other device on the LAN or for access across the internet…a NAS and a shared drive (be it RAID or not) are identical.
Well ... if I actually wanted a RAID NAS solution -- which I don't so my opinion might not be interesting :) -- I would prefer a separate NAS box. Yes, that is more expensive and requires more management.

But if I wanted a NAS, it would be so multiple computers could routinely access that data and thus I'd rather have it standalone. Sharing a drive connected to another computer would put more CPU load on that computer, be slower (not sure how much as I don't have such a setup, but there is a performance cost), and of course, if the computer is down, other computers cannot access the data directly connected.

But again, I'd only go with a NAS if I had multiple computers routinely accessing storage I wanted to consolidate and manage in one spot (which is why businesses use NAS).

I have no need for a NAS at home because I do all my photo editing from a single desktop computer. Don't want or need the added complexity.

A NAS does not really involve much in the way of complexity to setup and to maintain. I do a monthly disc scrubbing and a few times during the year I do a firmware update on my two NAS boxes. The rest of the time it is setup as a network drive and so accessed by applications as another logical drive on the computer.

With a mirrored setup 50% of the drive capacity is absorbed and with a 4-drive RAID array 25% is lost for the array and my current primary NAS is RAID6 with 5-drives and I lose 20% to the RAID overhead and redundancy. About 9% is also absorbed by formatting of the drives.

The cost is trivial in the overall scheme of things. $1,0000 for a RAID5 NAS is one of my lowest cost photo purchases and pales by comparison to the value to me of my image files. It is nearly foolproof as the only way I can lose files is if the house burns down or the NAS is stolen. Contrast that with drive failures which are going to happen and cannot be predicted, especially with a SSD of any type.

With my QNAP NAS units I have an excellent GUI and do all the administration with a browser. No need to use command line interaction for anything. It is a far more stable environment than my Windows OS computers. It also makes it easy for any of our computers to access the files on the NAS without having to make duplicate data sets on each computer.

Hyper NVMe enclosure - Showing out of stock at Hyper Store; may find it elsewhere. I have a Crucial 4TB in mine. I paid $179 at the time. I get 2900 write speeds and 3100 read speeds on an M1 Mac in one of the Mac ports. It doesn't get that speed going through the Thunderbolt Port on the OwC. Hyper is owned by Targus now.

So far no issues with this. I have two OWC Thunderbolt enclosures with Samsung 970's in them that only get about 1100-1300 write speeds. I use those for backup now. I use CCC to automate backups to the NAS and Seagate expansion disk as well.
another usb4 nvme option:

IMO, USB4 NVME is where i'd put my money these days

I'm curious -- and this is a question, not a suggestion it's a bad idea -- why you want a RAID system. I'm perfectly happy hooking up a fast SSD to the computer and backing up to an HDD. That fast SSD will be much faster than an HDD RAID system.
as a long time computer person, this is what i do these days. instead of using raid, which can pose it's own set of problems, i simply buy drives in twos and set up a backup to copy from one to the other.

ie:

R (RAW photos #1)
S (Backup for R)

T (RAW photos #2)
X (Backup for T)

Q (large disk that backups up S and X)

yah, curious as well. i basically stick to samsung and i've got a LOT of samsung ssd drives (both sata and nvme) and i've yet to have a failure (knock on virtual wood).
I had good luck with Samsung as well. A couple of years ago I switch to SK hynix Gold P31 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280 Internal SSDs. They performed faster than the Samsung. They now have Gen4. Neither have ever failed.

I now have my OWC RAID 5 array in operation. I was able to restore the contents of the drive as they were on the PC. I then was able to run the same catalog I was using on the PC. It seems to be working fine, it can't find some of the images but I am sure I can re-point to the images and get it back to where it was. We still have a few tweaks to get the setup working correctly but I should be finished with that end shortly.

I have decided to try an experiment.

The Mac Studio has a 1 tb internal drive which is too small to deal with Lightroom given where i am now and where i am headed so I want a drive that can be used to run Lightroom photo editing.

My experiment is that I ordered a SanDisk professional G-drive pro studio ssd with a high end enterprise grade SSD. I want to see if this offers better performance on Lightroom. If it does I will keep it and the RAID will handle the backup. If not I can return it.
As follow up to this I received the G drive pro studio today and tested it out. My subjective impression is that it provides performance equivalent to the internal hard drive and much faster than the RAID drive. With this drive I am able to move freely and fluidly among thousands of images and seamlessly review and edit at will. I encountered almost no lag.

Recommended as an option. This drive is reportedly enterprise level, designed for durability and comes with a five year warranty.

Well ... if I actually wanted a RAID NAS solution -- which I don't so my opinion might not be interesting :) -- I would prefer a separate NAS box. Yes, that is more expensive and requires more management.

But if I wanted a NAS, it would be so multiple computers could routinely access that data and thus I'd rather have it standalone. Sharing a drive connected to another computer would put more CPU load on that computer, be slower (not sure how much as I don't have such a setup, but there is a performance cost), and of course, if the computer is down, other computers cannot access the data directly connected.

But again, I'd only go with a NAS if I had multiple computers routinely accessing storage I wanted to consolidate and manage in one spot (which is why businesses use NAS).
The reason people use a RAID is to get a larger disk size mostly…there are some redundancy protections but size is the largest reason. And if you think a NAS is a better shared storage idea than a shared drive hanging off of whatever computer is always running…then I don’t know what to tell you. As a former sysadmin and general computer geek…the cpu load of file sharing is trivial on any computer from t(ex last 10 years. What you’re not understanding is that a NAS is exactly the same thing as a more normal c9mpiter sharing a big drive to multiple users…to the clients the two are identical. O be honest…most businesses don’t use NAS…they use a computer as a file server sharing either internal drives or direct attached storage…because they’re simpler and to the clients they’re identical. While I don’t have a large array connected to my entertainment center computer…it’s a 12 year old minimum spec Mac mini and even it has way more than enough power to share files to multiple users at the same time it’s doing whatever else I ask it to do. And on my Mac Studio…it just scoffs at the file sharing load. But…you do you…and do it the hard and expensive way with zero benefits over the easy/cheaper way…

In fact…the cpu and RaM in most NAS devices is far less than even the cheapest computer one can get…because the builders know and recognize the trivial load filesharing puts on a cpu.

Anybody that does or did IT for a living recognizes that a NAS is the hard and expensive way to provide network accessible storage. But most home users aren’t technicely sophisticated enough to know how to manage filesharing…so the6 pay somebody a lot of money to solve a simple need.

I”ve been running file services from a Mac for 30 something years…and just for grins I connected to my 12 year old Mac mini and copied some files…maxed out the wifi bandwidth and the cpu load was single digits. My StudiomLR computer/server/print server is on a UPS and is always on…just like a NAS would be…and if the power is out to the Studio…it would be out to the NAS and wifi point as well. I agree that a NAS is a way to provide the need…but it’s expensive and needs management and provides zero capability that a drive (RAID or not) shared from a computer that’s always on…so why bother? Your money to waste if you want to…but I would rather spend mine on more productive things.

Last edited:
The reason people use a RAID is to get a larger disk size mostly…there are some redundancy protections but size is the largest reason. And if you think a NAS is a better shared storage idea than a shared drive hanging off of whatever computer is always running…then I don’t know what to tell you. As a former sysadmin and general computer geek…the cpu load of file sharing is trivial on any computer from t(ex last 10 years. What you’re not understanding is that a NAS is exactly the same thing as a more normal c9mpiter sharing a big drive to multiple users…to the clients the two are identical. O be honest…most businesses don’t use NAS…they use a computer as a file server sharing either internal drives or direct attached storage…because they’re simpler and to the clients they’re identical. While I don’t have a large array connected to my entertainment center computer…it’s a 12 year old minimum spec Mac mini and even it has way more than enough power to share files to multiple users at the same time it’s doing whatever else I ask it to do. And on my Mac Studio…it just scoffs at the file sharing load. But…you do you…and do it the hard and expensive way with zero benefits over the easy/cheaper way…

In fact…the cpu and RaM in most NAS devices is far less than even the cheapest computer one can get…because the builders know and recognize the trivial load filesharing puts on a cpu.

Anybody that does or did IT for a living recognizes that a NAS is the hard and expensive way to provide network accessible storage. But most home users aren’t technicely sophisticated enough to know how to manage filesharing…so the6 pay somebody a lot of money to solve a simple need.

I”ve been running file services from a Mac for 30 something years…and just for grins I connected to my 12 year old Mac mini and copied some files…maxed out the wifi bandwidth and the cpu load was single digits. My StudiomLR computer/server/print server is on a UPS and is always on…just like a NAS would be…and if the power is out to the Studio…it would be out to the NAS and wifi point as well. I agree that a NAS is a way to provide the need…but it’s expensive and needs management and provides zero capability that a drive (RAID or not) shared from a computer that’s always on…so why bother? Your money to waste if you want to…but I would rather spend mine on more productive things.
How does your computer sharing files handle multiple users changing a file at the same time?

How does your computer sharing files handle multiple users changing a file at the same time?
It doesn’t…but then neither does a NAS…because from a device standpoint they do exactly the same thing. Services like DropBox or Sync…might…properly deconflict multiple simultaneous edits but even then they just keep 2 copies of the file. Your standard NAS runs on some flavor of Linux…and uses the built in SMB sharing service to advertise shares you establish to the network. This is exactly what macOS or Windows…because the file sharing protocols and code are pretty standard. And a client…well, it can’t see *any* difference between a NAS share and a Windows or macOS one…because there is no difference. No form of storage can handle multiple simultaneous edits on a single file…they just can’t although as noted file sync commercial services sort of try but they just create another copy of the file. Google has the ability to allow multiple simultaneous edits…but only for documents on their servers…and they do it by putting an application in between the users and the file on disk and consolida5e the changes…but no other operating systems provide that capability that I’m aware of.

I mean, maybe I do understand a little. I worked in the storage industry as a engineer, developing enterprise class SAN/NAS systems.

Many/most fortune 500 companies run their critical operations using NAS or SAN in the data center. Consolidating storage using SAN or NAS for better management of storage (optimizing use of disk space, insuring critical data is backed up, implementing disaster recovery strategies, etc) began to be best practices back in the 90s. It's why companies building NAS and SAN storage prospered. It became obvious when serious money was on the line that you wanted to manage CPU and storage separately.

Home users, small offices may do things the way you describe. The bigger players ... don't do it that way*. I tend to be biased by what "serious" performance critical NAS usage looks like. I believe you that accessing a share from another computer in home usage doesn't burn too much CPU on a modern system and I think I said that, though it costs some. I'd still rather have it standalone so if a computer was down, it wouldn't prevent access to that data from other computers, but that's assuming I wanted multiple computers accessing the shared storage resource a lot and cared about performance (I should have noted that caveat).

If you just want a big disk, can't you just set your storage box up as a JBOD? But RAID gives you data protection and different performance characteristics.

I don't bother with a RAID of any type right now because I don't need its capabilities in my home office and I don't need any serious (performance critical) sharing of data between computers (i.e. NAS, though I do some minor file sharing). And yeah, it's been a handful of years since I was doing this for a living, so maybe I'm missing something in the consumer space ...

I will be honest:

Anybody that does or did IT for a living recognizes that a NAS is the hard and expensive way to provide network accessible storage

This statement would surprise a lot of people in the storage industry ....

* there is a lot of cloud-based storage along with local data center stuff now

I mean, maybe I do understand a little. I worked in the storage industry as a engineer, developing enterprise class SAN/NAS systems.

Many/most fortune 500 companies run their critical operations using NAS or SAN in the data center.

Enterprise class storage is a whole other thing…and a SAN (which I used for some purposes back in my working days) provides far more redundancy than any of the numerically defined RAID types…and my statement should have pointed out that enterprise is a whole different animal. When I retired in 2012…Dell supplied NAS devices were just arriving…but were just Windows boxes with a different name, at the time they did not come with any specialized management software because they would still be managed by sysadmins who would be quite capable of configuring shares and permissions on their own. So either you used regular Windows sharing or you…if you had the budget…bought a SAN and used the SAN control software to configure the volumes…which we still shared via Windows and not direct from the SAN. The trouble with a SAN is really high costs…which isn’t a big deal for enterprise users as they have the budget to support it. For smaller businesses…some will go with a NAS (or what is called a NAS but is really just a Dell 2650 or whatever the current model is running Windows and with a dozen or more 2.5 inch drives in it for size of storage. Some will use SSDs instead but cost wise that’s still pretty expensive and total capacity is still an issue with SSDs vs spinning drives…and unless the entire network is running @0GB Ethernet or fiber on the backbone and gig Ethernet to the desktops the extra speed of the SSDs is not utilized…and as many will just buy the 2650 and roll your own shares which is the same way one would configure the Windows running NAS anyway, NAS is marketing buzzword mostly in that box. For small businesses or home use…sure, you can buy a NAS from a bunch of vendors but most of them will have the drives configured in some RAID alignment…or you can hang a drive either RAID or not off of any old computer. The NAS will have more software built in to manage all of the features they claim…but anybody with even medium level tech ability can easily replicate all of those functions…and as I noted to the clients either local or across the internet there is zero difference between the two…both are simply computers with drives attached that are shared using SMB to their Ethernet port. One is more expensive and requires more management but is a one stop solution for technical novices as you’re paying somebody else to do the work for you. The other is cheaper and does to add another box to manage but does require a little tech savvy. Both are valid solutions…and users who want network accessible storage can either pay or do it themselves. Either solution still requires appropriate hand actually the same) levels of backup…and neither solution provides a unique capability that the other simply cannot. Neither solution allows simultaneous editing of a single file by multiple users as mentioned by another reply. And neither solution is wrong…but the marketing folks at NAS vendors have convinced people that they provide some sort of magical capabilities that a mere hard drive can’t…which is simply incorrect…but it is good for the NAS vendors obviously. I haven’t used current versions of Windows…but macOS makes sharing drive space to the network trivial and I can’t imagine Windows is much harder. Since that computer is running 24x7 anyway…there is simply no reason to spend the extra $$ and management timo using a different interface for zero additional benefits.

People in the ‘storage industry’ are typically looking at large to enterprise size customers…so they have a different perspective. For home use or small business…its simply a choice between a more expensive black box appliance…or applying a little tech knowledge For a less expensive solution providing the same capabilities.

Enterprise class storage is a whole other thing…and a SAN (which I used for some purposes back in my working days) provides far more redundancy than any of the numerically defined RAID types…and my statement should have pointed out that enterprise is a whole different animal. When I retired in 2012…Dell supplied NAS devices were just arriving…but were just Windows boxes with a different name, at the time they did not come with any specialized management software because they would still be managed by sysadmins who would be quite capable of configuring shares and permissions on their own. So either you used regular Windows sharing or you…if you had the budget…bought a SAN and used the SAN control software to configure the volumes…which we still shared via Windows and not direct from the SAN. The trouble with a SAN is really high costs…which isn’t a big deal for enterprise users as they have the budget to support it. For smaller businesses…some will go with a NAS (or what is called a NAS but is really just a Dell 2650 or whatever the current model is running Windows and with a dozen or more 2.5 inch drives in it for size of storage. Some will use SSDs instead but cost wise that’s still pretty expensive and total capacity is still an issue with SSDs vs spinning drives…and unless the entire network is running @0GB Ethernet or fiber on the backbone and gig Ethernet to the desktops the extra speed of the SSDs is not utilized…and as many will just buy the 2650 and roll your own shares which is the same way one would configure the Windows running NAS anyway, NAS is marketing buzzword mostly in that box. For small businesses or home use…sure, you can buy a NAS from a bunch of vendors but most of them will have the drives configured in some RAID alignment…or you can hang a drive either RAID or not off of any old computer. The NAS will have more software built in to manage all of the features they claim…but anybody with even medium level tech ability can easily replicate all of those functions…and as I noted to the clients either local or across the internet there is zero difference between the two…both are simply computers with drives attached that are shared using SMB to their Ethernet port. One is more expensive and requires more management but is a one stop solution for technical novices as you’re paying somebody else to do the work for you. The other is cheaper and does to add another box to manage but does require a little tech savvy. Both are valid solutions…and users who want network accessible storage can either pay or do it themselves. Either solution still requires appropriate hand actually the same) levels of backup…and neither solution provides a unique capability that the other simply cannot. Neither solution allows simultaneous editing of a single file by multiple users as mentioned by another reply. And neither solution is wrong…but the marketing folks at NAS vendors have convinced people that they provide some sort of magical capabilities that a mere hard drive can’t…which is simply incorrect…but it is good for the NAS vendors obviously. I haven’t used current versions of Windows…but macOS makes sharing drive space to the network trivial and I can’t imagine Windows is much harder. Since that computer is running 24x7 anyway…there is simply no reason to spend the extra $$ and management timo using a different interface for zero additional benefits.

People in the ‘storage industry’ are typically looking at large to enterprise size customers…so they have a different perspective. For home use or small business…its simply a choice between a more expensive black box appliance…or applying a little tech knowledge For a less expensive solution providing the same capabilities.
I get it, you’re not a NAS fan. I love mine. Not only does it host my backups, media and surveillance, it has a sync feature which allow users to edit local copies (checked out) of the same file. Then updates the file on the NAS. Each time the file is returned to NAS it is timestamped. Currently it has up to the last 20 versions that have been updated. I can look at the versions and see what has changed. With WIFI, I can view media, surveillance cameras, backups, photos etc. while in Antarctica and make changes if needed.

We are probably going far far into the weeds for many observers ...

Yes, I am guilty of thinking in terms of enterprise class storage. So "file server" makes me think of something serving up NFS or SMB to many clients. I'd want a purpose built NAS (more on that later) box or at the least a beefy server with lots of I/O and network bandwidth. But, yes, for a home office hooking up some disks to a desktop and serving up generally low to mid volume amounts of data with no major performance concerns, of course that should work fine.

When you direct attach a fast RAID solution to a computer, local access will be fast; other machines accessing data from the server computer are dependent upon its speed and the network of course. If I had multiple computers with a lot of data to manage, I'd be tempted to consolidate everything into a NAS box, set it out of the way somewhere and manage storage that way. I'd see if the snapshot capability these boxes provide was useful. Some of them will do a cloud backup for you as well. Regardless of the architecture, you have to decide how backups are going to work; if you consolidated everything on the NAS (need a fast network ..) then you could back up everything to it, plus a cloud backup.

I'm quite happy connecting a fast SSD to my computer for the photos (the catalog remains on the even faster internal SSD). Plus TM and cloud backup. I don't really have a need to share photos with other local computers, though I have some regular data files that are occasionally shared. LR desktop, my choice of photo app, is explicitly unhappy with network access. If I could easily allow a laptop and the main desktop to alternate access (LR catalog definitely not a shareable DB) to photos and catalog I might be interested in doing that.

For RAID, it can be used to create larger "disks" but so can JBOD configurations. A RAID implementation (versus JBOD) gives you redundancy options and different performance possibilities. Since a RAID HDD solution is not near as fast as a direct atttached fast SSD, and I don't want to pay for RAID SSD, I don't have a RAID box of any kind right now.

On the NAS boxes, I don't know that much about the low end stuff available for home or small office; I haven't played with them, so their performance and reliability is not clear to me. They do have some management abilities, and poster jerrylwatson above finds such capabilities useful.

From an enterprise standpoint, I consider the Dell boxes you mention as very low end. There are higher end NAS solutions with HA capabilities, DR capabilities, high performance and lots of management capabilities available for the enterprise. But those are not suitable for home or small office use.

I get it, you’re not a NAS fan. I love mine. Not only does it host my backups, media and surveillance, it has a sync feature which allow users to edit local copies (checked out) of the same file. Then updates the file on the NAS. Each time the file is returned to NAS it is timestamped. Currently it has up to the last 20 versions that have been updated. I can look at the versions and see what has changed. With WIFI, I can view media, surveillance cameras, backups, photos etc. while in Antarctica and make changes if needed.
Can you share what NAS solution you are fond of here? How do you see peformance of data pulled from the NAS via direct attached local storage?

Can you share what NAS solution you are fond of here? How do you see peformance of data pulled from the NAS via direct attached local storage?
I have the Synology 4-bay DiskStation DS423+ with 4 Seagate Iron Wolf 8TB drives. I also installed 800GB M2 read/write cash drives in it. I also added an aditional 10GB of RAM as a buffer. I see no performance issues. I see 400MB/s when coping to my laptop which is about the same when coping from my TB3 4 disk enclosure with a 8TB Samsung 2.5 SSD drive.

I have the Synology 4-bay DiskStation DS423+ with 4 Seagate Iron Wolf 8TB drives. I also installed 800GB M2 read/write cash drives in it. I also added an aditional 10GB of RAM as a buffer. I see no performance issues. I see 400MB/s when coping to my laptop which is about the same when coping from my TB3 4 disk enclosure with a 8TB Samsung 2.5 SSD drive.
That's interesting. It's faster than my older slow SSD (350 M/s) but quite a bit slower than my new USB4 attached NVme SSD (reads about 2 GB/s). But 400 MB/s is pretty good; I assume that is read. Do you know what write speed is? RAID 5 configured? And you have a fast home network. That looks like 1300/1400 hundred or a bit more for the rig.

Hmm, I could live with 400 MB/s for my data, though I'm getting used to the new SSD for LR work.

That's interesting. It's faster than my older slow SSD (350 M/s) but quite a bit slower than my new USB4 attached NVme SSD (reads about 2 GB/s). But 400 MB/s is pretty good; I assume that is read. Do you know what write speed is? RAID 5 configured? And you have a fast home network. That looks like 1300/1400 hundred or a bit more for the rig.

Hmm, I could live with 400 MB/s for my data, though I'm getting used to the new SSD for LR work.
Yes the NAS is RAID5 the TB is not. I will test the write.

I get 100MB/s writing to the RAID5 NAS and the TB. No difference.

Back