Recommendations for a ThunderBolt 4 Hub

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Other World Computing at https://eshop.macsales.com/

They have various styles, configurations, and models....so hopefully something strikes your fancy. However, if like me, they usually have mostly what I'm looking for and if they combined features from one or two models, it would be perfect. Regardless - worth seeing if they have something that meets your needs.

They have various styles, configurations, and models....so hopefully something strikes your fancy. However, if like me, they usually have mostly what I'm looking for and if they combined features from one or two models, it would be perfect. Regardless - worth seeing if they have something that meets your needs.
@Dawatm - read lots of reviews before you buy OWC. I had a terrible customer service experience with them regarding their Thunderbolt Pro Dock (not a mobile dock). Their units tend to run hot. I not longer buy from them due these problems.

Thanks, totally agree on wishing I could combine features between models. They have some that are close, but not exactly what I am looking for, which of course is on another model. My wife has one of their desktop hubs for her monitors, excellent product.

Thanks, totally agree on wishing I could combine features between models. They have some that are close, but not exactly what I am looking for, which of course is on another model. My wife has one of their desktop hubs for her monitors, excellent product.
BTW it needs to be powered I believe if you are going to use multiple devices, so have you factored in the size of the power brick? The OWC ones are big.
Have you looked at this CalDigit one?

BTW it needs to be powered I believe if you are going to use multiple devices, so have you factored in the size of the power brick? The OWC ones are big.
Have you looked at this CalDigit one?
Yeah, bummer that they all need power. I just saw that CalDigit one and bookmarked it, looks solid. Hyper appears to have the smallest. I had no idea this would be so difficult.

So this morning I tried my OWC Thunderbolt 3 drive. This was before I got the "NOT"Pro Dock. In 1 minute 38 seconds it moved 2.88 GB of data. Roughly 36 uncompressed raw and matching jpg from my Angelbird card reader to a Samsung T7. Below you see two images. The drive, card reader and T7. That part is manageable, but it's the HUGE, GIGANTIC, did I mention SEMI SIZED, power brick (6"x2.5"x1.25") that makes this a no go, but also makes me think about what works. I'll post again shortly when I find it.

1709924544563.png

1709924564083.png

So this morning I tried my OWC Thunderbolt 3 drive. This was before I got the "NOT"Pro Dock. In 1 minute 38 seconds it moved 2.88 GB of data. Roughly 36 uncompressed raw and matching jpg from my Angelbird card reader to a Samsung T7. Below you see two images. The drive, card reader and T7. That part is manageable, but it's the HUGE, GIGANTIC, did I mention SEMI SIZED, power brick (6"x2.5"x1.25") that makes this a no go, but also makes me think about what works. I'll post again shortly when I find it.

View attachment 83603

View attachment 83604
Wow, this makes the hub from Hyper much more appealing with no brick. Thanks for sharing your tinkering!

Definitely, the idea is to reduce size/weight. I like Anker products. The current PD I just took with us to Tanzania is a Hyper, it would work, but it is about 7" long and weighs at least a pound.

for my Mac, NOT my iPad, the hubs I use work really well. see post 14,15,16 above. in particular the Caldigit is on full time. I can, and do, use the T4 ports to transfer data and power the Zt and the Hasselblad X2d, I also have my radios attached (Icom ic705 and ic7300) Highly recommend. It's powered, so has its own power supply.

For travel, I use a 4 port hub thats USB A. I don't really use it any more though as my workflow is Camera => iPad => External SSD nd I only need a single USB-C cable for that.

for my Mac, NOT my iPad, the hubs I use work really well. see post 14,15,16 above. in particular the Caldigit is on full time. I can, and do, use the T4 ports to transfer data and power the Zt and the Hasselblad X2d, I also have my radios attached (Icom ic705 and ic7300) Highly recommend. It's powered, so has its own power supply.

For travel, I use a 4 port hub thats USB A. I don't really use it any more though as my workflow is Camera => iPad => External SSD nd I only need a single USB-C cable for that.
Thanks Patrick. I looked at the US website and there is nothing travel sized that I see. I want to go direct from card readers to Samsung T7.

Back