Recommended Macro Tripod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for a recommendation on a reasonably priced tripod to do macro photography. Heard good things about Vanguard Veo 3+.

Specifications:
- fairly light weight
- fairly small
- can get very low to the ground
- can take photos straight down
- reliable
- twist locks

Please let me know what tripod you are using for macro photography and what you like about it.

Thanks!

I've got a carbon fibre Manfrotto 055. The column can go sideways and by changing 2 leg lengths it can get really close to the ground. I use it with a ball head so the camera will sit properly if using it like this.

This one is not really small but is light and they have the same design features on other models in their range which are smaller. I prefer clip locks but it comes with twist locks and either three or four section legs too.

Another advantage with Manfrotto is that you can get spare parts too in the unlikely event that something breaks down the line.

I love my Gitzo traveler but I am not sure it would meet your needs as it doesn't go super low to the ground. It all depends on how low you want to go. The feet go very low but the center column is the limiting factor on the Gitzo; you can probably go as low as 35cm (+/-) at the top of the column + whatever head you add on top of that. Otherwise it is light, super sturdy, twist locks and has been reliable without any concerns. But as mentioned by others, the Manfrottos that can fit the column sideways will go much lower in practice.

Looking for a recommendation on a reasonably priced tripod to do macro photography. Heard good things about Vanguard Veo 3+.

Specifications:
- fairly light weight
- fairly small
- can get very low to the ground
- can take photos straight down
- reliable
- twist locks

Please let me know what tripod you are using for macro photography and what you like about it.

Thanks!

Currently I am using the carbon fiber Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ with the Arcatech Ultimate ball head and I think it meets your requirements. The macro guru Mike Moats previously recommended this tripod/ball head combo as the best for macro.

Mike has recently reviewed the Veo 3+ on utube and found it to be a great improvement over the Alta Pro 2+ and he says this is the best tripod for macro. it comes in aluminum and carbon fiber versions. The version that Mike reviewed comes with its own ball head, but this is not the Arcatech ultimate that Mike recommends for macro work. I don't know if you can buy this tripod without a head--this option is not listed on B&H. The advantage of the Arcatech Ultimate is that it can easily be pointed in all directions--it does not have the U-shaped cutout present with most ball heads. However, the Arcatech Ultimate is not cheap.

Cheers,

Bill

Currently I am using the carbon fiber Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ with the Arcatech Ultimate ball head and I think it meets your requirements. The macro guru Mike Moats previously recommended this tripod/ball head combo as the best for macro.

Mike has recently reviewed the Veo 3+ on utube and found it to be a great improvement over the Alta Pro 2+ and he says this is the best tripod for macro. it comes in aluminum and carbon fiber versions. The version that Mike reviewed comes with its own ball head, but this is not the Arcatech ultimate that Mike recommends for macro work. I don't know if you can buy this tripod without a head--this option is not listed on B&H. The advantage of the Arcatech Ultimate is that it can easily be pointed in all directions--it does not have the U-shaped cutout present with most ball heads. However, the Arcatech Ultimate is not cheap.

Cheers,

Bill
Thanks for the information - much appreciated. Looks like a very good set up. Agreed that the Arcatech Ultimate head is not cheap like most photography equipment. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year.

Back