Recommended Second Body

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Traveling to Africa soon for the first time. Our outfitter recommends bringing a second body. My primary body is a Z9. I’m thinking a Z6 or Z6II would be the best complementary body. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reactions: Roy
As Mark says, a second Z9 would be great and would have the same controls and AF system. But more weight and cost.

I like my Z9 a lot, but I have only one. Not sure I want to buy two. I tend to take my Z7II as a second body to my Z9. It has the same level of resolution as the Z9 and gives me more pixels to crop than my Z6II. Neither the Z7II nor the Z6II have the Z9’s subject detection AF and they do not allow custom buttons to be set to change AF areas. Still I find the Z7II to be a decent (and underrated) wildlife camera — I have even used mine with reasonable success on birds in flight especially larger birds (e.g., eagles, swans, sandhill cranes, great blue herons, great egrets). The Z7II is also decent in low light — I used mine to photograph northern lights earlier this month along Hudson Bay. At the pixel level, the Z6II may have less noise, but at the same output size, there is not so much difference. The Z6II will AF in slightly lower light than the Z7II.

You might consider renting a second Z9. I went in August and took the Z9 plus my D850. I did get confused at times about which camera I was shooting with! But a lot of the animals are stationary so tracking is not always needed. The second body is good for the wider (landscape) and closer shots. I put my 500PF on the Z9 and either a 70-200 (with and w/o a TC) or 80-400 on the D850, I did wish at times that I had two Z9's, one with a 100-400 and one with a longer lens. Be sure to get your camera cleaned professionally after as dust will most likely get inside. I got both cameras taken apart and cleaned. A Z6 will work well for landscapes and might be good for the slower action shots, too.

There may be times when you want a smaller and lighter camera that would be the Z7. However, if you might need a small flash, the Z50 has one built in.

This is the one thing I am getting a little frustrated about with Nikon. At the moment I don't like any of the options for a second mirrorless body to go with the Z9. I'm kinda holding out until a D500 mirrorless comes around, not really interested in a 60 something megapixel Z8 but maybe if I think about it more and it's fast enough for my needs (which I doubt).

The D500 and 500pf served me well for several years in fact that is still my backup kit and in my Pelican 1535 which I always have with me in my car. However I would like a second mirrorless body and hopefully before next summer we will see the D500 mirrorless, whatever it will be called. I'll likely sell the D500 and 500pf at that point and get a 400/4.5 (I wish for a 500pf Z mount) to use as the backup and the light "carry me anywhere" kit.

Edit- Dummy me I forgot to say rent a Z9 or Z6Ii just for this. I'd wait to purchase!

Last edited:
I'm leaving for my third trip to Africa in less than a month and I'm taking my Z9 attached to my 400/2.8 TC and my D500 attached to my F 70-200/2.8. I'm also brining a Z 1.4XTC and a Z 24-70/2.8. I might also throw in the FTZ and an F 2.0X TC. The 24-70 is for the gorillas in Uganda and that's about it. The FTZ backs up the D500 and the F 2.0X TC + 70-200 backs up the Z9. With cards, batteries, and random other stuff, I'm at 10-11 Kg which leaves me 4-5 Kg for clothes - no problem :cool:

have a 2nd body the same as your first will save you from learning two systems, allow you use the same charger, etc. Not sure what lenses you will bring but I would be prepared to use both bodies. On our last trip to Africa (I think it was our 30th or close to it) I brought 3 Z 9s and my wife brought 2 Z 6ii and a Z 7ii.

Traveling to Africa soon for the first time. Our outfitter recommends bringing a second body. My primary body is a Z9. I’m thinking a Z6 or Z6II would be the best complementary body. Any thoughts? Thanks.
My answer is simple but expensive -- buy or rent a second Z9 for the trip -- the cost of the trip is high relative to all else.
I carry 2 Z9 and backup long lenses with me. This means I can share batteries between bodies and have no issues "missing" shots with a far worse performing back-up. PLUS -- and this is big - you really do not want to be changing lenses while out on a game drive - having two bodies with the lenses you want to shoot with attached when you leave your tent/room is far better than assembling in the field.
2nd recommendation - in addition to a rocket blower (with filter) take a wet sensor cleaning kit with you and lots and lots of pre moistened lens cleaning pads AND something to place over your gear to keep the dust off while you are driving.

I agree with the other posters....rent a second of the same camera model. I shoot Canon, which is irrelevant, but I've always travelled with 2 cameras, and always the same make/model. I have them configured identically, so no extra thinking process, no extra adapters, batteries and cards the same, etc. When the action is going and you have to think on your feet, gear differences are not something you want to deal with. If one goes down, your still in the groove. Otherwise, you have two different lenses on two same bodies and your ready for action. My personal fav for Africa is the 600 F4 on one body and my 100-500 on a second body. Lots of flexibility there. Have a great trip, I'm dying to go back again.

+1 also for a second Z9.
If you have a problem with one of the two, the other is there, with the same maximum capabilities/features as the one that is out of service.
And even without talking about failure, moving from one camera to the other one is 100% transparent and by far the most effective solution.
I do this with 2 Sony A1 + 600mm f4 + 200-600 and this is just great.

The obvious answer is to rent or buy a second Z9, but it depends a little on other factors. I would not consider taking just one camera body.

A pair of Z9 cameras offers the benefit of exact duplication of a system you know. It's a great camera. If you only need it occasionally, just rent rather than buy.

If you are thinking about a second camera for times when a Z9 is overkill, the Z7ii is a good option. It's still high resolution, has most of the functionality, and has a little better low light performance. More importantly, it's small and light. Since it would always be your second camera, a rental or used copy would be fine and would save some money.

In many cases you don't really need high resolution of a Z9. While you can use one of the smaller RAW formats, an option is a Z6ii. I think of a Z6ii as "standard" resolution. Low light performance is a little better than the Z7ii and Z9. It also provides a lower price point and smaller weight and size. It's not as though a 24 MP image is a real problem if you want a large print. So it is a very good backup at a better price point.

Worst case, you could also consider a Z50. It's a mid-range DX camera, but it is unlikely you would ever use it. Still, the controls are similar to other Nikons, and with the 16-50 kit lens you have a nice, small, light package. It's the kind of camera that you throw in your bag or use casually and will find fun to use. You could even pick up a small prime for it and your Z9 - something like the 40mm f/2 which is a tiny lens. It's actually surprising how many people have a Z50 as a second or third camera.

Don't forget a backup lens plan. You don't need to cover everything, but if you dropped your Z9 with your long lens, you need a plan. Maybe it's a 70-200 or DX 50-250, or maybe it's an FTZ and the 70-300 - or borrow a lens from the guide. I have had a long lens fail on a trip, and had a friend break two long lenses on a trip to Yellowstone. Even if it's a compromise, it's critical to have some sort of plan rather than feeling like your trip is ruined by damaged gear.

Either camera body will work.
I went for a Z6 with battery grip as a backup for my Z9.
Its now a capable camera and better value for money than the Z6ii...🦘

Z6 II absolutely it will cover areas the Z9 wont, ie: light weight and small as well as ISO

Z 50 seems like it could be a good second body for the moments that don’t require fast action relying on AF? I’m sure a 2nd Z9 makes more sense as others have said but I know some folks have taken the Z 50 as a second body and produced very capable results for what it’s worth.

I have a Z6 as a backup to the Z9.
The Z9 is so reliable that I hope it wont be needed...🦘

Back