Red Deer focus stack

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I live next to the park in Otterlo, but the crowds keep me away. A little earlier in the season, before 100 photographers line up in front of the same field, you can absolutely find me there trying to get a nice shot, but once it gets too busy....

The downside is that I miss out on opportunities like this though ;)

Great shot, it would definitely be a wall hanger if I had captured it!

The stag was following this hind around. The hind's calf was not impressed and casually sauntered past the stag for a drink at mother's. Since the Stag was quite a bit in front of the hind with calf I took two images in rapid succession, one with the stag in focus, the other after a quick recompose with the hind/calf in focus. The resulting image is a composite of the two. Now for my question: Because of the different distances I feel the image looks a bit unrealistic. Maybe because we are used to shallow DOF. Please let me know what you think
View attachment 70283
My opinion is Stop Questioning, the photo is excellent and powerful, far to many people obsess over shallow depth of field or technical perfection unnecessarily, that said you have achieved the look you wanted anyway in the way you wanted to.
Its not unrealistic, the subjects and composition is powerful enough to overrule any technical aspects of concern which really there are non.

The vast majority of people wouldn't know or care about DOF ISO or any other technical component, their choice is simply WOW that's beautiful which it is, remember a good picture tells a thousand words.

The story, the moment, always is the most powerful component of any photo.

Only an opinion

Back