Red-footed Booby

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BAL Land

Critiques appreciated!
Canon 70d, sigma 150-600mm C lens, 1/2000 at f/7.1, ISO 250. At 283mm, handheld from a boat. Image downsized for posting.
1676499355198.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice in-flight capture - I like the angle of the bird. I'm not a big fan of plain blue backgrounds - but there isn't much you can do about that - possibly bump up the dehaze on just the background to bring out some of the cloud texture but I'm not sure there is much there to work with. Another question - did you darken the sky? It almost looks like the edges of the bird are a bit darker than they should be. Maybe its all natural, but it reminds me of when I try to adjust the exposure of the sky and select a few too many pixels of the subject.

Overall I do like it - I saw plenty of boobies in the Galapagos, but didn't come back with a nice BIF photo of one - so nicely done!

All I does was:

Darken the blacks a substantial amount using the blacks slider, and put the dehaze sider to +10. I also increased vibrance and decreased the overall exposure by 1/3 stop(about).

Nice in-flight capture - I like the angle of the bird. I'm not a big fan of plain blue backgrounds - but there isn't much you can do about that - possibly bump up the dehaze on just the background to bring out some of the cloud texture but I'm not sure there is much there to work with. Another question - did you darken the sky? It almost looks like the edges of the bird are a bit darker than they should be. Maybe its all natural, but it reminds me of when I try to adjust the exposure of the sky and select a few too many pixels of the subject.

Overall I do like it - I saw plenty of boobies in the Galapagos, but didn't come back with a nice BIF photo of one - so nicely done!
Thank you!! I did darken down the sky a little, but not much. I’ll see if I have time to play around with that. And regarding the color of the BG, there was nothing I could do about it here, when your 10 miles from any land and the bird is on in the water or at the same level as the very distant land.

Back