Red sues Nikon over compression patents

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It is an indication that “perhaps” Nikon failed to cross all the T and dot the I before launching NRaw. No doubt they would have tried, but if both parties could not close, then going ahead and forcing RED to sue is probably the only way Nikon considered that a “reasonable” price would be set for the rights that RED consider have been infringed. The case has a long long way to go before it will impact users and it is in neither party’s interest for Nikon sales to be impacted either

I'm not an attorney nor have I seen details of the motion filed. Money is probably the bottom line desire, if that comes from cease and desist and some back payment or if it involves a license fee or renegotiation of the license agreement time and details will tell.

Two thoughts:

1) I can't imagine Nikon didn't consider this was a possibility, so I suspect they have a defensible position.

2) Interesting since they are licensing this technology from IntoPIX. I guess you sue the person with the most money, not the one actually responsible.

Just wondering if this is meant to stop Nikon or extract $. It seems Red has sued Kinefinity, Sony, and Nokia previously. Any legal Eagles can help us understand what this means? Where is TicoRaw in the mix?

IntroPX has a patent on their compression technology as does RED. Since Nikon licensed the technology from IntroPIX, it seems to be a battle of the patents. The result may depend on one of the patents being invalid or which one was issued first. Nikon was sued not IntroPIX, because of their deeper pockets.

IntroPX has a patent on their compression technology as does RED. Since Nikon licensed the technology from IntroPIX, it seems to be a battle of the patents. The result may depend on one of the patents being invalid or which one was issued first. Nikon was sued not IntroPIX, because of their deeper pockets.

This is why we love to hate attorneys, except our own, of course.

Red spent the money to develop the technology and the people at Nikon decided to steal it and sell it as part of their cameras. Happens all the time and usually the thief is so big that they can outspend their victims with an army of lawyers. Red can go to court and get a judge to issue an injunction and Nikon would be forced to stop selling its cameras with this stolen technology. In the end Nikon can decide whether to license the technology or use their own inferior compression code.

Red is a small company started by the founder of Oakley who want a superior and more affordable video camera. Jim Jannard revolutionized film making for small independent film makers and also the movie industry with its move to 4K digital. Red has prevailed against in patent disputes with Sony and with Apple so it is likely to prevail against Nikon. I hope this very small company with its 500 employees wins and its R&D efforts are protected.

Red spent the money to develop the technology and the people at Nikon decided to steal it and sell it as part of their cameras. Happens all the time and usually the thief is so big that they can outspend their victims with an army of lawyers. Red can go to court and get a judge to issue an injunction and Nikon would be forced to stop selling its cameras with this stolen technology. In the end Nikon can decide whether to license the technology or use their own inferior compression code.

Red is a small company started by the founder of Oakley who want a superior and more affordable video camera. Jim Jannard revolutionized film making for small independent film makers and also the movie industry with its move to 4K digital. Red has prevailed against in patent disputes with Sony and with Apple so it is likely to prevail against Nikon. I hope this very small company with its 500 employees wins and its R&D efforts are protected.
If Nikon licensed the tech from IntroPX, wouldn't they be the ones who should pay Red?

Excuse me for being very ignorant, but I don't see the harm that Red experiences. Red cameras are in entirely different league (as far as I can tell from Nikon's. Yes if Nikon (in reality IntroPX) used Red's IP, then they should pay them something reasonable. Wonder how much they have collected from Sony and Apple.

also… beware of patent trolls. that’s a real thing, too
I don't know enough about this area, but wonder if Nikon/IntroPX could have made a honest mistake. Did IntroPX patent their technology. If it was close or infringing on Red's how did the patent office allow the patent to be issued?

Patent trolls, IMO, are bottom feeders. I don't think Red is such, at least I hope not. i assume that either they use the technology they patented or use it to protect their technology (moat around technology in use).

See Thom Hogan Column

RED vs. Nikon patent lawsuit dismissed

Dismissed without prejudice. Not a lawyer but from what I have read, this means that they suit can be refiled. If there was a settlement, been told that the settlement would have been with prejudice. Not sure what happened behind the scenes. Interesting this happened just before the Z 8 was announced.

Dismissed without prejudice. Not a lawyer but from what I have read, this means that they suit can be refiled. If there was a settlement, been told that the settlement would have been with prejudice. Not sure what happened behind the scenes. Interesting this happened just before the Z 8 was announced.

Not exactly. There is a possibility that Nikon agreed to pay royalties, still without prejudice. Just means that there is the possibility of future skirmishes.

Not exactly. There is a possibility that Nikon agreed to pay royalties, still without prejudice. Just means that there is the possibility of future skirmishes.
Strange that they would do this I would think that if they agreed to pay royalty the issue would be settled unless Nikon stopped paying

As answering to OP it is just tipical late capitalism crap.

I must say that, up to now I heard about RED only as patent trolls, and after reading Thom Hogan's text I could only say I 100% agree with him. Probably cannot say anything more if I won't infringe forum rules.

Back