If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina this week and on the way home stopped off at Alligator River Wildlife Refuge. I found a couple other photographers at the road side who had spotted a Red Wolf in one of the cleared fields, 3-400 yards from the road we were on. I could say I saw one this trip. Took a shot with my Z9 and 500 PF. Having followed Steve's tips I was set on a wide area AF. Well a brown wolf in brown scrub doesn't work so well. Being the astute fellow I am, I remembered that I had a spot focus programmed in also. Bingo! As luck would have it the wolf headed our way and after a bit the 400 yds dwindled to 100 then 40. After 360 shots, I have now reset the shutter to make a sound. Any way, the wolf was directly across the canal from the road and turned to parallel the road before picking up the pace. As many times as I have been there and seen a wolf, they have always been 150-300 yds away from the road. I would guess they are used to humans but not looking for handouts. These guys are critically endangered, thus the monitoring collar. Midway between a coyote and grey wolf in size.
resized  Red Wolf (1 of 1).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, system keeps telling me they are running into problems with any of my photos.
Not sure what kind of errors you're seeing but if you want to post photos here on the BCG forums:

- All images must be less than 1MB total file size
- The longest dimension should be 1200 pixels with 1200x800 used as a typical size to fit folks screens (the forum has no on-the fly image resizing)
- All images should be jpegs saved in sRGB color space

Welcome to the forums,
-Dave

Really nice sighting! I have never been to one of the few places they can be seen in the wild, though I have seen them in a few zoos.

As stated, they are midway in size between a coyote and gray wolf. As many of you know, there is a consensus among some biologists that they are in fact the result of coyote and gray wolf hybridization.

Really nice sighting! I have never been to one of the few places they can be seen in the wild, though I have seen them in a few zoos.

As stated, they are midway in size between a coyote and gray wolf. As many of you know, there is a consensus among some biologists that they are in fact the result of coyote and gray wolf hybridization.
As of 2019, the latest study of hybridization, determined that they were indeed separate species. But when the population numbers were down, red wolves did have sex with coyotes, but given a choice preferred wolf over coyote. Evidently red wolves have been traced back 10,000 years . The study is being still being 'reviewed' by proponents on each side of the argument.

Intersting - thanks for update. To further complicate matters, I read that some biologists believe the eastern wolf (mostly extinct in USA) may be a distince species from gray wolf. I also just found out that coyotes only populated the eastern half of the country relatively recently.