Reddish Egret Just Before Touching Down

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Reddish-Egret.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've been into bird photography for about two and a half years. Initially, particularly with birds in flight, I was happy just to keep the bird in the viewfinder and in focus. Now, as I am getting more comfortable and confident in shooting, I am looking to grow in regard to composition and in my post processing. Feedback is invited (and welcome!).

Nice image! I agree that it looks a tad overexposed. Is this cropped? If so, I might give a little more space to the water where the bird is landing, or alternatively cropping a little off the top. I find that I usually like to see where the bird will land on a shot like this. Of course, that's not always possible, and in this case I don't know what it would look like. Just something to try. Again, nice image and a beautiful bird.

I love the lighting, pose, and sharpness. I agree, the whole image is a tad overexposed. I’d also darken the background a little more than the bird. I love the smaller crashing wave, but the big one in the background is distracting IMO. Maybe if it wasn’t right behind the bird it would be better. Crop looks good.

Nice image! I agree that it looks a tad overexposed. Is this cropped? If so, I might give a little more space to the water where the bird is landing, or alternatively cropping a little off the top. I find that I usually like to see where the bird will land on a shot like this. Of course, that's not always possible, and in this case I don't know what it would look like. Just something to try. Again, nice image and a beautiful bird.
Thank you for you suggestions. The image isn't cropped; full frame from a D500 and 500 PF.

I love the lighting, pose, and sharpness. I agree, the whole image is a tad overexposed. I’d also darken the background a little more than the bird. I love the smaller crashing wave, but the big one in the background is distracting IMO. Maybe if it wasn’t right behind the bird it would be better. Crop looks good.
Thank you for your comments and suggestion. The image isn't cropped (with the exception of perhaps straightening the horizon slightly). I agree about the larger wave...my mantra for the next time I am able to head down there to shoot is going to be to get lower!

Back