Reflections of the Past

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I hope it is OK that these are not really nature photos but I thought they might be of interest. The images are two different reflections in the windows of abandoned buildings of the mill at Bodie, which is an abandoned mining town in the Eastern Sierras. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggesting on the images.
DSC_1256.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2#
DSC_1246.JPG

Cool, I like them both but really like the top image, something about the aged and cracked window pane dividers and the reflected scene looming larger in the image. I'd probably crop in a bit tighter on the lower image and maybe it's just me but I'd probably adjust the crop to eliminate the padlock as to me it detracts from the image.

Nice work!

Both images are interesting. Bodie is a wonderful place ! Did you visit there recently?

I prefer the first image. I would crop a bit off the bottom and the brighter object behind the lower piece of glass draws the eye down away from the reflection.

The reflection in the 2nd image is very nice, but it all the wood framing the reflection draws the eye away from the reflection. Also, the image itself was taken at quite an angle, although I realize you might not have been able to get the reflection if you were more square to the window.

Cool, I like them both but really like the top image, something about the aged and cracked window pane dividers and the reflected scene looming larger in the image. I'd probably crop in a bit tighter on the lower image and maybe it's just me but I'd probably adjust the crop to eliminate the padlock as to me it detracts from the image.

Nice work!
With the second image I wondered about including the lock but I thought it added something to the picture, like the idea that the past is locked away. I liked the clarity of the reflection but I was wondering if it was a little too perfect.

Both images are interesting. Bodie is a wonderful place ! Did you visit there recently?

I prefer the first image. I would crop a bit off the bottom and the brighter object behind the lower piece of glass draws the eye down away from the reflection.

The reflection in the 2nd image is very nice, but it all the wood framing the reflection draws the eye away from the reflection. Also, the image itself was taken at quite an angle, although I realize you might not have been able to get the reflection if your were more square to the window.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was in Bodie in June, we had the opportunity to be in the park at night and we were able to shoot some milky way over the buildings which was a lot of fun.
As far as the angel, I could have gotten a little higher but as you said, I could not get a more direct shot without having my reflection in the frame.

I used the bottom of my screen to "create" the crop that Buttlerkid suggested. I really like it with her suggested crop. Were you able to shoot later on the same day as these two delightful pictures, or did you come on another day without the dark and angry looking sky?

I used the bottom of my screen to "create" the crop that Buttlerkid suggested. I really like it with her suggested crop. Were you able to shoot later on the same day as these two delightful pictures, or did you come on another day without the dark and angry looking sky?
Wink, both pictures were taken on the same day. I think the difference in the clouds is more due to the angle of reflection then a change in the clouds.

The reflection in the 2nd image is very nice, but it all the wood framing the reflection draws the eye away from the reflection. Also, the image itself was taken at quite an angle, although I realize you might not have been able to get the reflection if you were more square to the window.
I was thinking about your comment about the angle of the pictures and I went into the Transform panel of Light Room and rotated them. I rotated them quite a bit horizontally and a little vertically. The rotation required a tighter crop so I went with that idea and cropped even tighter. What do you think? I didn't have a really good place to end the crop on the right side of the picture with the panes so I left it as it is.

DSC_1246-2.JPG
DSC_1256-2.JPG

Back