Release Button to Use Dial?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What I’d like to know is if there are disadvantages to not having to keep a button pushed in order to make a change in the camera system. I do have a concern about this as I’m missing a good part of my left hand and its not something I can easily do. Is there any overriding reason I should be holding the button down to make changes vs pressing and releasing the button to make changes? Thanks in advance for the responses.

What I’d like to know is if there are disadvantages to not having to keep a button pushed in order to make a change in the camera system. I do have a concern about this as I’m missing a good part of my left hand and its not something I can easily do. Is there any overriding reason I should be holding the button down to make changes vs pressing and releasing the button to make changes? Thanks in advance for the responses.
What specific camera and what sort of changes are you thinking about?

On my Nikon DSLRs there are some changes that just happen by spinning one of the control wheels like changing shutter speed or aperture. Others require a button press and you have to hold that button while making the changes, for instance ISO changes or exposure compensation (though there is an easy exposure comp mode supported that I don't use). The point is, different cameras and different functions on the same cameras can be different. So specifically what camera and what are the changes you'd like to be able to make without holding in a button?

If you already have your system set up to make the desired changes without continuing to hold the button in then I don't think there's a real problem with that. I guess a potential downside is if you accidentally bump a setting and if you had to continue holding a button to make the change those sort of accidents would be minimized. But as I posted above on my cameras there's some functions like changing aperture or shutter speed that just require a spin of a control dial so there's no extra security against bumps and missed settings with those.

I probably didn’t write my question very well. What I was trying to say is if, for example, I wish to change the ISO setting normally one would hold down the ISO button and spin the dials to what one would want to use. Otherwise I can push and release the ISO button then make my changes and lock them in by tapping the shutter release. So I guess what I’m asking is there there an advantage to using one method over the other.

I probably didn’t write my question very well. What I was trying to say is if, for example, I wish to change the ISO setting normally one would hold down the ISO button and spin the dials to what one would want to use. Otherwise I can push and release the ISO button then make my changes and lock them in by tapping the shutter release. So I guess what I’m asking is there there an advantage to using one method over the other.
I can't think of any technical advantage. For folks with the finger dexterity (and it sounds like that's a challenge for you) the more typical method of holding the button while spinning is pretty quick and convenient but if your situation makes that inconvenient you won't lose any image quality or cause any problems using the method you describe.

Back