Remote control for Z8 and Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks All. I opted for a el-cheapo option in the Hahnel wired remote for now. And believe me I am very happy with it. Plain simple and easy to use. No thinking required - it's bad enough I have to remember everything else for long exposures 😂 - a different animal to the fast action of birds in flight.

@Gavin - the Phottix is out of stock and will only be available again in probably 2024 says the Rep to Orms. It functions exactly like the Hahnel.

Anyway - this thread is not only for my info - I am sure others benefitted from it - and will in future - so no reason so stop sharing. I might not be interested in stuff from B&H - but most certainly others will be.

NOT snapbridge -

What remote do you use - for long exposure photography?
I am looking for an external remote - if you have any recommendations please?

I have been using a Vello wired remote shutter release on my D500 and later on my Z8. Cheap, no frills, no set-up, no failures, fast and simple to use. I absolutely love it !!

https://www.vellogear.com/product/6...Remote-Switch-for-Select-Nikon-10_Pin-Cameras
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765671-REG/Vello_RS_N1II_Wired_Remote_for.html

Scroll down the Vello page to see list of compatible camera bodies. The Z8 isn't listed but works perfectly.
Since it is only a shutter release & I use it mostly for video, I needed to map my Video start/stop function to the shutter release button. That was all.

I use the Vello FWM-N2 FreeWave Micro Wireless Remote Shutter Release on my Z8 after using it on my D500 ; here is an evaluation done by Photographylife

Vello FreeWave Micro Wireless Shutter Release Review​

BY ROSS MARTIN 28 COMMENTS
LAST UPDATED ON FEBRUARY 5, 2022
This is what I use as well (for Z8). It works great (and has manual switches for a total of 16 possible channels, in case someone near you is using one as well). For those in USA, here is the link on B&H ($72.50). The Nikon branded equivalent is well over $200.

The SMDV remote that attaches to a 10-pin port works very well. It is sold as Vello brand in the USA. I prefer wireless as it keeps the camera cleaner and no worries about a cord getting caught on something and distance is much greater at more than 260 feet. Like that you can set the channels for individual cameras.

It works well with the Z9 that has internal GPS so the 10-pin port is not engaged for a bluetooth receiver. Even my Nikon AW120 that cost me $350 in 2014 has internal GPS to automatically geotag every image file. The $600 Nikon D5300 has built-in GPS. Why doesn't the $4,000 Z8 camera?

Back