Renaming in LR Classic

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After I rename files and export them I see an added name 'Enhance' with numbers after that. I can't find anywhere to change this. I usually rename files in NX Studio and import in LR. But LR seems to add to my file names - drives me nuts. Can anyone suggest how to have LR not rename especially with 'Enhance'. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for suggestions.
- Apparently if I want to import within Lightroom I would need to choose copy as dng, copy, move - so that the file renaming on the right side appears. I prefer not using those options so I use 'add'. When that is chosen the file renaming box is not available.

- I haven’t figured out a fast way to get rid of the extra words “Enhanced-NR when I run a photo thru denoise and export.
-I did read a work around that you can edit the filename in the Metadata panel but this is cumbersome as no batch edit.

I'm probably missing something but this seems more cumbersome than it should compared with other programs that rename files such as NX Studio. I use that but still when I export from within LR the names are always changed as I mentioned above.

Thanks for suggestions.
- Apparently if I want to import within Lightroom I would need to choose copy as dng, copy, move - so that the file renaming on the right side appears. I prefer not using those options so I use 'add'. When that is chosen the file renaming box is not available.
That's correct. If using "Add" there is no ability to rename during import.

Question: you indicated that you are using NX Studio. What are you doing in NX Studio? If I'm not mistaken when importing RAW files into LR the edits that you make in NX Studio will not transfer. Only if you export in another format from NX Studio then the edits will be "baked in" to the new file.

- I haven’t figured out a fast way to get rid of the extra words “Enhanced-NR when I run a photo thru denoise and export.
-I did read a work around that you can edit the filename in the Metadata panel but this is cumbersome as no batch edit.

I'm probably missing something but this seems more cumbersome than it should compared with other programs that rename files such as NX Studio. I use that but still when I export from within LR the names are always changed as I mentioned above.
Currently in LRC there is no way to avoid the suffix being added to the name of the DNG that is generated by the denoise process.

There is a way to rename multiple files in LRC. In the Library module in grid view select the photos to be renamed. Then in the menu select Library>Rename. A box will open with the same renaming options as when importing via copy/move.

I'm going to suggest you back up and tell us more about your whole process. Start with how you are getting the files off the camera or card with what program, then where do you put them and what do you do with them next, and so on.

Currently in LRC there is no way to avoid the suffix being added to the name of the DNG that is generated by the denoise process.
True…but one could select the ones with enhanced in the name and rename them…but TBH I don’t bother. They’re going on the blog and it doesn’t care what the file name is and enhanced helps tell the original from the DeNoise or upscaled ones. DxO does the same thing…but you can change or eliminate the new name.

True…but one could select the ones with enhanced in the name and rename them…but TBH I don’t bother. They’re going on the blog and it doesn’t care what the file name is and enhanced helps tell the original from the DeNoise or upscaled ones. DxO does the same thing…but you can change or eliminate the new name.
I don't even use the denoise in LRC. Too slow. I'm still using DxO and likely will unless/until LRC gets a bit faster at it. Plus while DxO is crunching on it I can keep working in LRC. The file exported from DxO does have the extension "DxO" added to the file name and is a good/quick identifier. Similarly TIFFs created by PS bear the suffix "edit". Topaz also renames files. It's only logical to somehow identify files that have had any sort of permanent edits like all of the AI denoising routines produce.

My current flow is from disk reader to folder on hard drive:

- View photos via NX Studio.

I prefer culling here (sometimes I use Fast Raw Viewer) but I like to see the focus points since that NX Studio offers. I trash the unwanted.
After the keepers I select all and rename with their renaming tool. Name_D_M_year-sequence #.

- Then I 'add' them to Lightroom Classic.
Here I do processing. When I want to export from Tiff to jpg then the naming gets changed or extended.
I have presets for Social Media that require file size, etc. like Back country forums and those photos go into their designated folder.

I prefer culling here (sometimes I use Fast Raw Viewer) but I like to see the focus points since that NX Studio offers. I trash the unwanted.
After the keepers I select all and rename with their renaming tool. Name_D_M_year-sequence #.

Here I do processing. When I want to export from Tiff to jpg then the naming gets changed or extended.
I have presets for Social Media that require file size, etc. like Back country forums and those photos go into their designated folder.
For the most part, LRC only exports according to the instructions you give it. You could create a renaming preset if that helps. But as @bleirer mentioned, Denoise renames the file so you can distinguish the original from the version that has been run through the Denoise process.

--Ken

Looking at this I'm not understanding the issue that you described farther up the thread. The only time LR automatically renames files with no choice is when it generates the DNG from noise reduction or if you open in photoshop and the resultant file gets the "edit" suffix. Don't understand when you say files get renamed when you "export". The export routine only renames files if/as you tell it to.

Looking at this I'm not understanding the issue that you described farther up the thread. The only time LR automatically renames files with no choice is when it generates the DNG from noise reduction or if you open in photoshop and the resultant file gets the "edit" suffix. Don't understand when you say files get renamed when you "export". The export routine only renames files if/as you tell it to.
Here are two different extensions. The enhanced with numbers after enhanced was exported from LR.
the other one was exported from DXO.
i can’t figure out why the added numbers after enhanced. :unsure:
IMG_3256.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_3253.jpeg

I guess I would read over the links I supplied above and when you go to export click the 'file naming' tab. Looks like maybe you have one of the listed options clicked. That looks like the year followed by some number, possibly a sequence or one of the other file naming options listed in the articles, especially the 3rd one.

I guess I would read over the links I supplied above and when you go to export click the 'file naming' tab. Looks like maybe you have one of the listed options clicked. That looks like the year followed by some number, possibly a sequence or one of the other file naming options listed in the articles, especially the 3rd one.
Agree. It looks like a file naming preset is being applied as I also touched on above. The OP needs to look at this area of the Export dialog box and see what is selected from the presets and either change it or uncheck it.

--Ken

SOLVED! Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm know its user error but the renaming was found in the Library/rename. (screenshot below) I'm sure I did this at some point or after a LR update but I sure can't remember. The Enhance is still there but I can deal with that. I went in and deleted whatever was typed in. I hope it stays that way...so far so good. Thanks again for your help.
:rolleyes:o_O

LR Rename.jpg

I don't even use the denoise in LRC. Too slow. I'm still using DxO and likely will unless/until LRC gets a bit faster at it. Plus while DxO is crunching on it I can keep working in LRC. The file exported from DxO does have the extension "DxO" added to the file name and is a good/quick identifier. Similarly TIFFs created by PS bear the suffix "edit". Topaz also renames files. It's only logical to somehow identify files that have had any sort of permanent edits like all of the AI denoising routines produce.
I’m still using DxO mostly myself and occasionally Topaz AI…but every update I try LR’s again to see 9f it’s getting any faster or better.

Back