Replace or shrink zoom ring sleeve on Nikon 200-500mm lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

eft

Over time the rubber zoom ring sleeve on my 200-500mm lens has stretched and is quite loose. I've seen several other owners of this lens experience the same issue.

Has anyone tried to shrink the rubber sleeve by submerging in boiling water or heating with a hair dryer? Or, purchased a replacement sleeve from Nikon or a third-party?

Wouldn't recommend heating with a hair dryer, you might heat up something you don't want to over heat. I'd call Nikon at 1-800-645-6687 and ask about a replacement.
I hope you didn't think I was going to heat it while on the lens!

I have been in touch with Nikon Canada and just got a quote for a replacement (~$40 CAD including taxes and shipping).

I had also asked Nikon to replace my rubber eye cup and the cover for my security port but they said the eye cup wasn't covered and I would have to send my camera in to have them replace the rubber cover under warranty, neither of which was great news.

Back