Replacement Eyecup for Z8/9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The eyecup fitted to the Z8 is on the "OK" side, but can do with something better.
I purchased the Hoodman Hoodeye HNZ9 (Nikon Z8 and Z9) and fitted it to the Z8. Makes using the viewfinder so much easier/better, especially when wearing glasses.
Hoodman also have eyecups available for other camera makes.

I got the HoodEYE (HNZG) for my Z8 which is the version for those who wear glasses. I think the eyecup is a little bigger. I agree that it improves the view through the viewfinder particularly on sunny days.
I do however have one concern and would be interested to know if others think it valid. When the eyepiece is rotated into place, it is held there by a small black pin. (?plastic ? metal) Rotating the eyepiece from landscape to portrait view is quite difficult as it is very stiff and reluctant to rotate. My concern is that if I use too much force it might snap the pin. Interested in what others think.

Last edited:
i like the zemlin. i'm running it on both the z8 and z9. i mostly wanted something that blocked the sun a bit more. i’m very happy with it and i even got a spare (which i haven't needed)
IMG_1119.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I got the HoodEYE (HNZG) for my Z8 which is the version for those who wear glasses. I think the eyecup is a little bigger. I agree that it improves the view through the viewfinder particularly on sunny days.
I do however have one concern and would be interested to know if others think it valid. When the eyepiece is rotated into place, it is held there by a small black pin. (?plastic ? metal) Rotating the eyepiece from landscape to portrait view is quite difficult as it is very stiff and reluctant to rotate. My concern is that if I use too much force it might snap the pin. Interested in what others think.
Agree 100%

I have a hoodEYE as well, the "normal" version, and it has the same issue. They claim it can be rotated, but I have to use so much force, I never do it, as I am afraid it will break the mount for it.

Back