Repurposing a Windows laptop?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Roaring 40s

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi all. I guess an increasing number of us are finding that our Win 10 device won't be supported from Oct next year I think it is, and can't be upgraded to Win 11.

I have a slim and light laptop with a good screen that's very handy to take on plane trips for doing basic image processing: culling, renaming and simple edits. It's on Win 8.1 and can't even be upgraded to Win 10.

So I wonder what the options are. Chrome FlexOS can be installed on it but I'm not sure whether there are apps that can display NEF lossless compressed let alone do basic edits. Anyone had any experience here?

And beyond that is to go fully Unix if there's half-decent graphics programs available. Anyone done this?

G'day. If it's on Windows 8.1 with a USB port, you could try get an ISO file of Windows 10, then use the RUFUS tool to bypass the requirment, the only barrier is 4GB Ram and 1 GHz CPU.

I was able to upgrade a 2nd Gen Windows Surface to Windows 11, also upgraded an entry level Dell notebook.

Oliver

Last edited:
G'day. If it's on Windows 8.1 with a USB port, you could try get an ISO file of Windows 10, then use the RUFUS tool to bypass the requirment, the only barrier is 4GB Ram and 1 GHz CPU.

I was able to upgrade a 2nd Gen Windows Surface to Windows 11, also upgraded a entry level Dell notebook.

Oliver
Thanks! That's a great idea 👍

Back