Request your advise (D850)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I used my D850 for years. However, when I first got it, I was using a Nikon 200-500mm lens. My photos from the get go were awful. I nearly cried! Even with birds that weren't drastically in the distance. I did focus testing using a test sheet like Steve has, and using the fine tuning feature in the camera. With my 200-500 I had to change it to +10, then my photos were great. There's many you tube videos and a lot online that explain how to do this. I don't remember anymore which technique I used, but it worked. When I went to the 500PF, I had no issues. My 200-500 worked great on my D7200, but it would not play nice on my D850. Perhaps something to consider. That lens fine tuning option is in the menu for a reason. Good luck!

I used my D850 for years. However, when I first got it, I was using a Nikon 200-500mm lens. My photos from the get go were awful. I nearly cried! Even with birds that weren't drastically in the distance. I did focus testing using a test sheet like Steve has, and using the fine tuning feature in the camera. With my 200-500 I had to change it to +10, then my photos were great. There's many you tube videos and a lot online that explain how to do this. I don't remember anymore which technique I used, but it worked. When I went to the 500PF, I had no issues. My 200-500 worked great on my D7200, but it would not play nice on my D850. Perhaps something to consider. That lens fine tuning option is in the menu for a reason. Good luck!
I traded in my Sigma 150-600 Sports on a Nikon 200-500mm and had the same problem, but not as bad. With the fine tuning and improved technique I am happy with my results.

All good advice. Looking at the shot. I think it is too far away a for good resolution. I am not familiar with the d780 but I’m pretty sure it is a 24mp ish sensor. These tend to be more forgiving than a 46mp sensor like the d850. Also there is the possibility that the AF used was not ideal for the situation. I used the d850 for 5 years and did mainly birds and BIF and had excellent results. However certain AF fields I avoided like 3d and the larger dynamic ranges. I loved group AF and of course single point. I also wonder if the lens you are using is not good enough to use on such a high resolution camera. I had a Nikon 80-400 that did fine on my d7100 but sucked big time on my d850. I now avoid 3rd party glass but I’m sure there is some stuff out there that is good.

June last year I traded my Nikon D780 in and boought a Nikon D850 back. So far so good. After a couple of weeks using the D850, I noticed I did not have as many keepers as I had with my D780. Lens is the same: Sigma 10-600 Sports.
Pictures are not crisp sharp. Whatever I try, high shutter speed (>1/2000 for birds in flight), ISO limitted to 800, different Aperature settings, nothing gives me many crisp sharp pictures. Today I was confronted again. A Marsh Harrier approached me from the front. I started shooting till the bird was aout of sight.
I made about 80 shots, most are not usable. I attached one. Only edit is made it a JPG from the RAW. Used DxO Photolabs 7. DxO did only optical corrections,not further post processing. I had to resize it from 8256 px wide to 1980 px wide due to limit of this forum.
When needed, I can send the RAW file.

I am wondering what is wrong with this picture, what should I do to get more crisp sharp photo's from BIF?
Is it a hardware issue (lens or body), is it me, pix peeping or something else?

Please help, I do get some second thoughts on the aquirance of the D850 ....

Tino
I love my 850. I shoot with a 200-500mm. bif at 1/3200 of a second. Usually at f7.1, single point with function button to switch to GRP if necessary. Auto iso max to about 2400. You have to know your limitations. Shooting into bright sun, limited contrast on subject, subject just a little out of acceptable range, atmospheric distortion all make for a difficult shot. Keep practicing. Don’t give up. Btw, my keeper rate is still 70% avg. I attribute that to my Parkinson’s shaking. Thus, the ss of 1/3200. Keep on shooting . Read Steve’s books. They helped me a lot.

June last year I traded my Nikon D780 in and boought a Nikon D850 back. So far so good. After a couple of weeks using the D850, I noticed I did not have as many keepers as I had with my D780. Lens is the same: Sigma 10-600 Sports.
Pictures are not crisp sharp. Whatever I try, high shutter speed (>1/2000 for birds in flight), ISO limitted to 800, different Aperature settings, nothing gives me many crisp sharp pictures. Today I was confronted again. A Marsh Harrier approached me from the front. I started shooting till the bird was aout of sight.
I made about 80 shots, most are not usable. I attached one. Only edit is made it a JPG from the RAW. Used DxO Photolabs 7. DxO did only optical corrections,not further post processing. I had to resize it from 8256 px wide to 1980 px wide due to limit of this forum.

I am wondering what is wrong with this picture, what should I do to get more crisp sharp photo's from BIF?

Tino
Any chance the lens is front or back focusing?

I loved the d850 as well. All I used for 5 years mainly with the 300 or 500pf. I also used the grip to get 9fps til it broke. When the z9 came out a friend let me give it a go and I felt it was more than I needed and didn’t like the weight. I’m 76. Then the z8 came out and I still was on the fence but was advised to try it. All I can say is if you go for it you will amazed at what you can go for. Not just BIF but at 20fps much better choices for wing positions, better shots of majic moments like bird interaction etc. the eye detection is amazing and the ability to use 3d and auto AF on BIF is an absolute game changer. You will be amazed. I would also say the new 180-600mm lens will blow the 200-500 out of the water. I’m guessing on this as I prefer primes. 400f4.5 and the 600pf. The 500of does well also. I still have mine but thinking of selling.

This may or may not relate to you but I thought I would suggest something. I usually shoot pets. When I did the "run to me" shots I didn't get the keeper rate I was expecting. I did work on my technique. That's real important. I then discovered if I turned off image stabilization I got a higher keeper rate on action shots. I suppose the amount of time image stabilization needs affects the focus lock on with continuous focus. I did test this with my D810 and I got a higher keeper rate with image stabilization off. While the camera body didn't have IS the lens did. I suppose it depends on the lens as well. I had paired a Tamron 70-200mm f/2,8 (G2) with the D810. When I turned off IS (VC Off) I got a better keeper rate.

Tino
It might be worth calibrating the lens on the D850 ... 🦘

All lenses are subject to capricious behaviour and everything you read in the thread is great advice I would follow. If that doesn’t work, you might consider sending your lens to Sigma for a review. I had to do this with one of my Sigma (I have many along with Nikko) lens and was pleasantly surprised at the results, and got much better keepers using the same technique. And the D850 is A lifetime friend, even if you eventually move to mirrorless.

Tino
As Eric said do a controlled test.

Make certain you settings are all correct especially focusing. Check out Steve's tool on this how to set up your D850.

Your D780 is 24mp the D850 is 45mp, your using a Sigma 10-600 must be a typo could you mean 150 600 Sports.

Check your lens VR setting, in cases VR sports setting is better than standard, also often if your going over 1600 ss VR it can impact outcomes in some gear combinations, try using the lens with the VR off, VR use and settings is a suspect often, your D850 will reflect any imperfections very quickly.

The D850 can be very unforgiving.

You say you bought a D850 back, so does that mean you have had one before.

Bottom Line, try another lens,

There are some very good points raised by very experienced members in this post.

Testimonial: I have had the D850 for years along with the Z9 Z8 D6 D5 D4s, in every case the D850 goes toe to toe (other than 3 D tracking of the Z9 Z8 D6 etc as you would expect), but for stills you can throw a blanket over them so to speak.

Its the best DSLR ever Never an issue or ever let me down, i know when i grab it i can relax knowing it will work and deliver, 100% issue free.

If all else fails stand in front of the mirror and go through every point and option carefully as up to 98% of image outcomes are user related.

Only an opinion

The d850 can be a very unforgiving camera I had to get used to it after the d500. Over time I grew to love it but I found certain glass especially 3rd party lenses didn’t always do so well. I’m also assuming there is not an issue with the body.

Back