Retiring My 2011 MacBook Pro

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whiskeyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Recently, I reached the end of useful photographic functionality of my 2011 MacBook Pro. It is updated as far as I can update it, and would not recognize files from either the D850 or Z9 (w/CFExpress memory cards) that I had on the trip with me.

Since I plan to be on the road shooting for about five or six days next month, I'd either have to purchase more memory cards, or get a newer laptop for use on the road. I chose to go the new laptop route, and last night purchased a 14-inch MacBook Pro with a M2 Pro processor, 16 GB of RAM and a one TB hard drive.

I've already installed Adobe LightRoom Classic onto it and will install Denoise AI, Sharpen AI and Gigapixel this evening.

Any thoughts on this setup for a road machine to use for light processing and file management when I'm travelling? It's not happening anytime soon, but I may purchase another larger monitor down the road, since this laptop is now my most powerful computer, save for the RAM.

Frankly, if you're going to be working with large files from the Z9, you might find that 32gb RAM is a worthwhile additional cost. That said, it might be too late if you've already ordered it and your order is already being processed. Check out ArtIsRight M2 tests - See

Whiskey, I'm still using my late-2013 MacBook Pro for light duties, especially following YouTube videos (or Steve's, which are downloaded) whilst using LrC, Ps, etc on my new 2023 MBP 16 which has maximum memory and storage.

My old 2013 MBP has 16 GB memory and 1 TB SSD storage (the same as your new 2023 MBP): in my experience both 16 GB memory and 1 TB storage were inadequate for running apps from Adobe, Topaz, Luminar and DxO.

An external SSD can be used to overcome inadequate storage; supplied memory cannot be upgraded.

Last edited:
My 12 year old MacBook Pro cannot be updated beyond OS 10.15 Catalina.

"It works" but does not support several features of current Lightroom/PhotoShop or Office 365

BE AWARE M2 chip MacBookPro seem not compatible with most older iMac desktops or older Apple displays monitors as a second display.

Frankly, if you're going to be working with large files from the Z9, you might find that 32gb RAM is a worthwhile additional cost. That said, it might be too late if you've already ordered it and your order is already being processed. Check out ArtIsRight M2 tests - See
Whiskey, I'm still using my late-2013 MacBook Pro for light duties, especially following YouTube videos (or Steve's, which are downloaded) whilst using LrC, Ps, etc on my new 2023 MBP 16 which has maximum memory and storage.

My old 2013 MBP has 16 GB memory and 1 TB SSD storage (the same as your new 2023 MBP): in my experience both 16 GB memory and 1 TB storage were inadequate for running apps from Adobe, Topaz, Luminar and DxO.

An external SSD can be used to overcome inadequate storage; supplied memory cannot be upgraded.
Jim and David,

I agree with you both that it would have been preferable to get the machine with 32 GB of RAM, but it wasn't possible for my budget any time soon. And yes, I already have the new MBP and have been using it.

My biggest issue so far is that the Topaz Labs apps that I'm using don't seem to work properly. Some of my old applications from Topaz won't work at all, while some appear to work initially, but don't change the files like I expect them to: i.e., Gigapixel. This may be due to the versions I'm using are much older than the current ones, and I need to spend $99 to upgrade my PhotoSuite apps. I'll find out after I do a bit more work on them. If I have to, I'll upgrade them. Did you have to upgrade your Topaz software for the new Apple processor, or not? Or did you already have the latest versions?

So far, the slight amount that I've tested LightRoom Classic for photo editing on this MBP, it is quite impressive speedwise. Compared to my latest iMac, a 2017 model wiith 64 GB of RAM, it seemingly performs the same tasks much more rapidly. I'm looking forward to doing more with this new MBP.

My 12 year old MacBook Pro cannot be updated beyond OS 10.15 Catalina.

"It works" but does not support several features of current Lightroom/PhotoShop or Office 365

BE AWARE M2 chip MacBookPro seem not compatible with most older iMac desktops or older Apple displays monitors as a second display.
That was the general driving limitation for my old MBP, as well. Otherwise, it worked very well for all else I used it for, except the battery was very worn and I could use it for barely 80-90 minutes before it shut down due to low power.

Jim and David,

I agree with you both that it would have been preferable to get the machine with 32 GB of RAM, but it wasn't possible for my budget any time soon. And yes, I already have the new MBP and have been using it.

My biggest issue so far is that the Topaz Labs apps that I'm using don't seem to work properly. Some of my old applications from Topaz won't work at all, while some appear to work initially, but don't change the files like I expect them to: i.e., Gigapixel. This may be due to the versions I'm using are much older than the current ones, and I need to spend $99 to upgrade my PhotoSuite apps. I'll find out after I do a bit more work on them. If I have to, I'll upgrade them. Did you have to upgrade your Topaz software for the new Apple processor, or not? Or did you already have the latest versions?

So far, the slight amount that I've tested LightRoom Classic for photo editing on this MBP, it is quite impressive speedwise. Compared to my latest iMac, a 2017 model wiith 64 GB of RAM, it seemingly performs the same tasks much more rapidly. I'm looking forward to doing more with this new MBP.
My versions ( already owned) of Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI work natively with Apple Silicon OS Ventura. Perhaps my situation is different in that I use Capture One Pro (native for Apple Silicon) and raw files that I am working on in CP-1 that I want to send to DeNoise or Sharpen are sent to these Topaz apps as a plug in - meaning they’re sent as TIFFs and not raw files.

All of that said, I am not using Topaz for noise reduction anymore as I have moved to DXo DeepPrimeXD for N.R Including capture sharpen. Much improved.

My versions ( already owned) of Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI work natively with Apple Silicon OS Ventura. Perhaps my situation is different in that I use Capture One Pro (native for Apple Silicon) and raw files that I am working on in CP-1 that I want to send to DeNoise or Sharpen are sent to these Topaz apps as a plug in - meaning they’re sent as TIFFs and not raw files.

All of that said, I am not using Topaz for noise reduction anymore as I have moved to DXo DeepPrimeXD for N.R Including capture sharpen. Much improved.
Thank you. What specific versions of Denoise AI and Sharpen AI do you have installed on the OS Ventura machine?

Jim and David,

You will need to update most of your applications to take advantage of the M2 mac. And as far as RAM goes, 16gig should be fine. Using 16gigs of RAM on the M-Series macs is like using 32 gigs with the intel processors.

Congrats on the new computer!
I have the 13" M1 MacBook Pro with 16gb RAM. Only difference in my memory and hard drive is I have the 512gb internal drive and use external SSD's to store my photos. I have a 27" Dell monitor for use at home.

It has been a great travel companion. If it dies anytime soon I will get the 14" M2 like you have. My wife uses the 16" M2 MacBook Pro and the bigger screen is beautiful but I would find it heavier to travel with however, she doesn't have a problem with it. Maybe she is in better shape than me???

Anyway, your computer should serve you well for years to come.

Jeff

You will need to update most of your applications to take advantage of the M2 mac. And as far as RAM goes, 16gig should be fine. Using 16gigs of RAM on the M-Series macs is like using 32 gigs with the intel processors.
Disagree somewhat. Better off spending the money to add RAM and not pay a lot extra for beefed up GPU/CPU if (emphasis) one will be dealing with large file sizes. ArtIsRight tests clearly show that.

Disagree somewhat. Better off spending the money to add RAM and not pay a lot extra for beefed up GPU/CPU if (emphasis) one will be dealing with large file sizes. ArtIsRight tests clearly show that.
I agree but he said he couldn’t afford to do that. I’m always a proponent of getting as much ram and storage as you can afford. But in this case 16 gig was all he could afford.
If you are only doing photo editing with an m2 Mac 16 gigs is more than enough

I agree but he said he couldn’t afford to do that. I’m always a proponent of getting as much ram and storage as you can afford. But in this case 16 gig was all he could afford.
If you are only doing photo editing with an m2 Mac 16 gigs is more than enough
I know what he said - that he cannot afford more RAM. I was disagreeing with you and still do. You’re saying 16 gb is enough … well maybe for your D500 file sizes. But for larger file sizes which you must not be dealing with it is not optimal.

I know what he said - that he cannot afford more RAM. I was disagreeing with you and still do. You’re saying 16 gb is enough … well maybe for your D500 file sizes. But for larger file sizes which you must not be dealing with it is not optimal.
A m2 Mac should have no problem handling a 60 mb file. Is 32gig better, absolutely. But in the real world , the difference is probably not noticeable. Let’s just agree to disagree😜

A m2 Mac should have no problem handling a 60 mb file. Is 32gig better, absolutely. But in the real world , the difference is probably not noticeable. Let’s just agree to disagree😜
Staying out of the debate on what is enough, I anticipate owning higher than 45 MP bodies over the next 5 years - and plan to do more video - including some 4k - medium term.
Looking a few years ahead future proofing I was able to afford 32 gig and extra storage - though with a MacBook Pro this tends to be expensive.

Ralph, based upon what little I've been able to do with it, the performance is even better (faster) than my older iMac with 32 GB of RAM and a 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel procesor. I'm pleased so far.
Congrats on the new computer!
I have the 13" M1 MacBook Pro with 16gb RAM. Only difference in my memory and hard drive is I have the 512gb internal drive and use external SSD's to store my photos. I have a 27" Dell monitor for use at home.

It has been a great travel companion. If it dies anytime soon I will get the 14" M2 like you have. My wife uses the 16" M2 MacBook Pro and the bigger screen is beautiful but I would find it heavier to travel with however, she doesn't have a problem with it. Maybe she is in better shape than me???

Anyway, your computer should serve you well for years to come.

Jeff
Jeff, your reasoning for picking the 14-inch MBP over the 16-inch MBP is the same as mine. But, even though it is heaver than the 14-inch one, the footprint of the 16-inch seemed a bit too much for me. A bonus is that the bag I've had to carry the old MBP in holds the new on just fine.

Staying out of the debate on what is enough, I anticipate owning higher than 45 MP bodies over the next 5 years - and plan to do more video - including some 4k - medium term.
Looking a few years ahead future proofing I was able to afford 32 gig and extra storage - though with a MacBook Pro this tends to be expensive.
If you plan on doing video definitely get as much ram as you can afford.

Whiskey…
For me, by far the best software upgrade path is that made available by Adobe. For around US$120/year all of the apps in Adobe's Photography Plan (Bridge, LrC, Lr, Ps, etc) are kept up to date. Outstanding value without any hassles!
… David
I'm in on the Adobe photographer's package, and you are absolutely spot on about it. I like the Topaz Labs tool set as an addition, too.

Back