Return to the Serengeti with one eye open.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Many thanks Ralph
Have just had my final operation on my return and the eyesight in my left eye is almost back to what it was before the detachment, the full repair time can take up to 12 months,
so it's been a huge relief! (y)
Glad to hear the detached retina repair went well!

Have recently returned from the Serengeti and couldn't think of a better way of getting back in the saddle and doing what I love after suffering a bad retinal detachment in my left eye.
Fortunately I still had my viewfinder eye to see the splendor & beauty of the Serengeti during a particular heavy rainy season.

Here are a few of my favorites, hope you enjoy them.

Lamai storm King
The Lamai pride male poses to the backdrop of an amazing storm front
Lamai Wedge, Northern Serengeti- TZ.

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z70-200 f/2.8
1/800s
f/6.3
ISO500@ 96mm.

View attachment 79267

Let it rain, let it rain!

Often the best time for a Cheetah to hunt is right in the middle of a downpour. Most game will turn their backs against the wind & rain, and all approaching sounds are deafened. Here this adult male Cheetah called "Mpaka" was in luck and was soon to be feasting on a sub adult Warthog.
Northern Serengeti- TZ.

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400TC f/2.8
1/100s
f/4
ISO110@560mm.

View attachment 79268

Young Black Rhino bull
Standing proud against the beautiful vista that is the African savanna.
Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z70-200 f/2.8
1/1000s
f/5.6
ISO400@ 200mm.

View attachment 79269

Looking into the New Year
I'm a bit late........but wishing everyone all the very best for a bright and happy 2024!
Lamai Wedge, Northern Serengeti- TZ.

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400TC f/2.8
1/1600s
f/4
-0.3EV
ISO560@ 560mm.

View attachment 79266

Leopardess sunset
A new leopardess has taken over a territory in this part of Northern Serengeti bringing with her a daughter of around 15 mths.
Here Moma poses on a kopje (rock) to the backdrop of another glorious Serengeti sunset.

Nikon Z9
Nikkor Z400TC f/2.8
1/320s
f/2.8
ISO2000

View attachment 79302

Cheers
Marc
Having lived in Kenya and Tanzania for 1 year I can fully appreciate the beauty of your images. It is indeed a wonderful place to live and visit.

Have just had my final operation on my return and the eyesight in my left eye is almost back to what it was before the detachmen
Oh, I am so happy to hear it!!
Your pictures are so beautiful and I want to see more and more! So, I wish you get cured your eye! It is a very important part of your body :)
I love to get to Africa during rainy season ;-) It must be stunning with all those clouds and rain :)
Where did you stay if I may ask? I assume it was in the beginning of January?
Love the cheetah image - the rain drops :love: or lines to be precise. The leopard - a different portrait! Gorgeous!

Absolutely stunning images, Marc!

I hope your eye is better now.
Cheers Lance

Have just had my final operation on my return and the eyesight in my left eye is almost back to what it was before the detachment, the full repair time can take up to 12 months,

Cheers Lance

Great to hear! I hope your eye is 100% sooner rather than later. Love your work. (y)

Oh, I am so happy to hear it!!
Your pictures are so beautiful and I want to see more and more! So, I wish you get cured your eye! It is a very important part of your body :)
I love to get to Africa during rainy season ;-) It must be stunning with all those clouds and rain :)
Where did you stay if I may ask? I assume it was in the beginning of January?
Love the cheetah image - the rain drops :love: or lines to be precise. The leopard - a different portrait! Gorgeous!
Many thanks Elena for your kind words!

My Northern Serengeti trip was late NOV into DEC, with huge amounts of rain experienced and some nice light shows.

Z9A_3637BPN.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Amazing! It is not often I can capure the lightning! And also not often to see and take pictures of lions!
But the combination of both is behind any Theory of Probability! :)

Amazing! It is not often I can capure the lightning! And also not often to see and take pictures of lions!
But the combination of both is behind any Theory of Probability! :)
Thanks Elena (y)

With today's high frame rate ML cameras, it's become far easier to capture, for this image I had my Z9 on a beanbag, set to 20fps and fired away via a small IR trigger.
With the lightening happening all over that Eastern sky, you eventually get lucky. I think out of the 400 odd frames I managed about 30+ with lightening in the scene.
Here's another from the DSLR days of 2011 with an OOF lightening bolt in the BG with a sleepy Leopard cub FG. :love:

D31_8427aBPN.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Here's another from the DSLR days of 2011 with an OOF lightening bolt in the BG with a sleepy Leopard cub FG
great! (y) (y) (y)
However, I like te landscape photo more ;-)
Those leopards are not happy to be photographed 😅

Once we had the same situation (leo on the tree totally ignoring us) and play the sound of hyenas in hope that the leopard will show an interest and will look at the sound source. Everybody was looking at the leopard and waiting for it to move ... and nobody noticed that a real hyena came and stood up - the paws almost on the steering wheel :ROFLMAO: looking at our photo-host 😅 a big hyena ... it was just curious about the sound. but the leopard didn't show any inerest :ROFLMAO:

Hi Marc, sorry to bother you but after seeing your wonderful Serengeti images I thought I would reach out. I'm wondering if you would share with me which company you went on safari with while in Kenya? When I lived there in 1982/1983 I had my own landrover and typically went into the parks on my own. However, at my age it would make sense to go with a guided safari. Your thoughts?

By the way, good luck on your eye surgery. I hope it all turned out okay.
All the very best,

Bruce Williams

Hi Marc, sorry to bother you but after seeing your wonderful Serengeti images I thought I would reach out. I'm wondering if you would share with me which company you went on safari with while in Kenya? When I lived there in 1982/1983 I had my own landrover and typically went into the parks on my own. However, at my age it would make sense to go with a guided safari. Your thoughts?

By the way, good luck on your eye surgery. I hope it all turned out okay.
All the very best,

Bruce Williams
@BWP

I'm just about heading out the door for my Kenya flight and will send you a PM on my return early April, Bruce.

Reactions: BWP
Back