Rim Lit Bear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ingweDave

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have seen many rim lit (Low Key) shots and really like many of them. I understand the basic requirements but have never really tried it out.
Searching through pictures from a recent trip to Finland, I found a few photos of bears with strong back lighting. I had a quick dabble in Lightroom but I really don't know what I am doing.
I am not sure if I like this image and whether the rim lit effect is sufficient. It may be that the original image does not have the requirements or it could be my poor editing skills.
All comments appreciated.
51707625902_8d1320132f_o.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

ORIGINAL
_DSC5704.jpg

This is one of those things that is largely a matter of taste. That said IMO the first image looks like what it is, an over processed image. Which is understandable comparing the original that you posted for comparison. Also strictly IMO even with rim lit shots it helps if there is at least enough detail to see a hint of detail in the shaded side of the animal.

My suggestion is that you went a bit too far trying to eliminate the surroundings. If the intent was to convert from a photo to graphical art then you're nearly there. But to enhance the original photo maybe try selectively darkening the BG until the shadowed area is near black but leave the grass sunlit. Then try selectively lifting the shadow on the bear until there is just a hint of detail revealed. Interestingly I recently posted a similar image in post #105 in this thread.

If you don't mind... If so I'll remove it. Done in two minutes by masking in LR. Clearly more could be done working with the RAW file. But maybe not at all what you're shooting for.

_DSC5704.jpg

If you don't mind... If so I'll remove it. Done in two minutes by masking in LR. Clearly more could be done working with the RAW file. But maybe not at all what you're shooting for.

View attachment 28511
Thank you very much, that is really useful. I much prefer your version. It is clear that with these images, a dark background is key.

Honestly, all 3 are good photos in their own right. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you like and what effect you're going after. For my personal photography style and taste, I prefer the original and would in fact lighten the background a little to show more of a sense of place where this magnificent creature lives and a little bit of the story of how it lives.

However, the rim light dark photos are good too. It's really a matter of what you want to convey in this photo.

Back