Ring-necked Duck

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BAL Land

Critiques appreciated!! From Orange County, California. Image downsized for posting.

1678893800299.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Overall it's a very pleasing image - I don't have to much to suggest for improvements. If I had to come up with something here are two things that might (or might not help):

1) Maybe a bit more room at the bottom to get all of the head reflection? It's not glass smooth water so the reflection isn't perfect so this might not matter too much.
2) Maybe clone out that thin reflection/wave in the lower right edge of the frame. It catches my eye a bit.

Overall a pleasing image. Nice POV on the duck and lovely water. Good placement of the bird in the frame. When the water isn't smooth enough for a perfect reflection my own preference is to then ignore the reflection and concentrate on the duck alone. In which case it would have been preferable to try for a lower shooting angle. From a technical standpoint there looks to be an overall green cast on the image. It's really noticeable in the bright reflections on the water which I'm assuming should be the color of the sky. If you were shooting with auto WB the camera likely over compensated due to the color of the water.

I would clone out or crop out the wave in the lower right. A bit more at the bottom would give us the reflection. I would add some contrast to the duck. Last but most important, you have 2 options with the eye. Either make it darker so that the sky reflection stands out, or brighten the outside of the pupil to show the pupil clearly. Great image overall, and getting low made it so much better!

It's a nice image of the species - as for critique...

- You're low, but try to get lower next time (if possible). Eye-level is king when it comes to wildlife. That is unless you're going for a certain effect, mood etc.

- I think the frame is a little tight, especially above the bird. The reflection isn't doing anything for the image, I'm really just mimicking @NorthernFocus comment in that regard.

- Something seems a little off regarding the color, in particular the teal on the water. It very well can be legit, just looks a little odd.

- Solid exposure, sharpness and other techs.

I like the perspective.
I like overall sharpness and focus on the eye.
What I don't like (but I struggle with same things ;) and I will be happy shooting same photo. )
I don't like dull background in the same color as duck is.
I don't really like the crop, but once again it is something I struggle with especially in this case - bird on water. Maybe you should experiment if crop with whole reflection would work better.

Back