Royal Tern in Cloudy Light

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tern.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon D500, 500PF, 1/1000 @ f/8, ISO 800

FYI, this is a Royal Tern. Sandwich Terns will never have a bill that thick, and there bills are almost entirely black, with a little yellow tip.

However, it’s a stunning shot! The whites look very nice, as does the overall exposure. Lighting is really nice, and I love the waves in the BG. Sharpness and stairs look fantastic in my screen. I do have two little suggestions.

1. I don’t think the crop quite works for me, maybe take a little off of the left side of the frame, and add to bottom of the frame.

2. The black legs and crest on the head look way too dark with very little detail. Maybe don’t go ad dark with them, or if this was how it looked in the RAW file, I’d increase shadows a decent amount.

FYI, this is a Royal Tern. Sandwich Terns will never have a bill that thick, and there bills are almost entirely black, with a little yellow tip.

However, it’s a stunning shot! The whites look very nice, as does the overall exposure. Lighting is really nice, and I love the waves in the BG. Sharpness and stairs look fantastic in my screen. I do have two little suggestions.

1. I don’t think the crop quite works for me, maybe take a little off of the left side of the frame, and add to bottom of the frame.

2. The black legs and crest on the head look way too dark with very little detail. Maybe don’t go ad dark with them, or if this was how it looked in the RAW file, I’d increase shadows a decent amount.
Thank you for correcting the ID; I'm still learning! Thank you for your suggestions; I appreciate the time you took to offer the critique; I lifted the shadows and adjusted crop. Thank you again.
Royal-Tern.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back